Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ebike Riders get as much exercise as analog bike riders

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Ebike Riders get as much exercise as analog bike riders

Old 08-21-19, 05:16 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
No question that you can, and I've had days where probably I did, even ride with the motor off at times (which is fairly strenuous on my single-speed direct drive 50+ pound bike); but I'm pretty lazy at times.
Old 08-21-19, 06:56 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
When I have my daughter on the back, I put very little effort in. There's only really the aspect of handling the weight. And yet I use minimum power. We just plod about.

Riding to work though... I'm genuinely knackered when I get there. Out of breath and pumped up. And yet I use high power.

I'm the type to push on any task. I run up every flight of stairs I'm faced with, leap barriers, etc. On my own, I only use the electric to put more wind in my sails.
I
actually have to work harder down hills, where I'm pedalling hard to charge the batteries.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 08-24-19, 02:50 PM
adipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
going faster on a bike makes you safer because higher speed vehicles drivers have more time to notice you when they overtake you.

but you need to expect the unexpected: drivers coming from side streets not noticing you. many people do not look for much time sideways and very easily miss noticing you. that's another reason for taking the lane. both for space of maneuver in case you are not noticed and for being more visible for those who are obliged to wait for you to pass.

so... an e-bike can be better in traffic but not for slow traffic because its harder to handle tight spaces between tighter vehicles at a slower pace.

exercise can be more productive in a short time by exhausting yourself quickly. high intensity exercises do not need much time and should be done alternating recovery with intense bursts. you don't really need more than 10-20 minutes with recovery times being in that time frame included.

also, when proteins (muscles) are formed the body needs all the constituent amino acids for those proteins but also energy in the form of ATP that is produced by lean (red) muscles. you need energy available for the muscle building output to occur and that energy should not be by eating junk.

you need to think before you eat that some food is best taken in the morning and some food is best taken before bed.
oats are best in the morning, sweet potatoes are best before bed.

avoid NaCl like plague... except for storing food like cheese, tomatoes etc.

if you study nutrition you need not remember to exercise. in fact exercise is not very productive if you feel distressed when exhausted. runner's high is a natural response when you are healthy and able to exercise to the point of exhaustion. cats do not exercise much and yet... they are very agile.

people have been indoctrinated that they are fat because they are lazy. in fact fat people are lazy to think about alternatives in regards to eating the right way. bad bacteria in your gut keep you captive and you feel good taste for food that make you keep the bad stuff. good bacteria do not kick you when they die. after cleaning and healing the guts you can more easily prefer healthy food. the industry does not want you eating simple and healthy, the industry wants to sell you complicated and addictive food. exercise is not the way out, exercise is useful in short, intense burst if you want to develop muscles, not for fat loss. yo yo diet. burn many calories now, fat gets out of adipose tissue, persistent organic pollutants (POP) come out as well (fat soluble), body remains distressed after exercise, unable to get rid of them, they go back stored in fat. yo yo. excreting the POP requires a healthy gut. taurine and glicine are required to conjugate some substances in order to be able to excrete them without absorbing them back. bad bacteria deconjugate and eat the glicine. voila. no taurine... glicine is wasted. taurine is produced from cysteine which is required for other detoxifying activity in the body - glutathione.

you don't need much exercise, you need safety on the road. never become exhausted on the road. you will be in danger because any sudden need to maneuver will catch you exhausted and therefore bad accidents can happen. become exhausted in more safe circumstances.

a bit offtopic... but not really unuseful info. you surely can't neglect nutrition and it's very much connected to exercising. who needs long, distresful exercise? nutrition is more of an answer. an e-bike is better for safety reasons and for not inhaling all that stuff that is exhausted by cars, more concentrated on the road, right?

remember, pressure cooked sweet potatoes in the evening and lactofermented (you don't need milk although it's useful but only when raw, you need a starting culture that has the right lactobacillus bacteria, think probiotics) oats in the morning can help you much more than the exercise you will surely be able to do eating this as a main course daily. mix a spoon of coconut oil (useful to inhibit yeast cultures taking over) in the oats (250g) before the 12h of fermenting and mix some flaxseed in green tea (about 750g water/tea, green tea is useful to inhibit bad things like listeria monocytogenes). your mileage may vary. exercise your brain as well preparing this.

Last edited by adipe; 08-24-19 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 08:35 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
This is a stimulating discussion. I just ordered a lightweight “low power “ ebike and look forward to the adventure
Old 08-26-19, 03:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by adipe
going faster on a bike makes you safer because higher speed vehicles drivers have more time to notice you when they overtake you.

but you need to expect the unexpected: drivers coming from side streets not noticing you. many people do not look for much time sideways and very easily miss noticing you. that's another reason for taking the lane. both for space of maneuver in case you are not noticed and for being more visible for those who are obliged to wait for you to pass.

so... an e-bike can be better in traffic but not for slow traffic because its harder to handle tight spaces between tighter vehicles at a slower pace.

exercise can be more productive in a short time by exhausting yourself quickly. high intensity exercises do not need much time and should be done alternating recovery with intense bursts. you don't really need more than 10-20 minutes with recovery times being in that time frame included.

also, when proteins (muscles) are formed the body needs all the constituent amino acids for those proteins but also energy in the form of ATP that is produced by lean (red) muscles. you need energy available for the muscle building output to occur and that energy should not be by eating junk.

you need to think before you eat that some food is best taken in the morning and some food is best taken before bed.
oats are best in the morning, sweet potatoes are best before bed.

avoid NaCl like plague... except for storing food like cheese, tomatoes etc.

if you study nutrition you need not remember to exercise. in fact exercise is not very productive if you feel distressed when exhausted. runner's high is a natural response when you are healthy and able to exercise to the point of exhaustion. cats do not exercise much and yet... they are very agile.

people have been indoctrinated that they are fat because they are lazy. in fact fat people are lazy to think about alternatives in regards to eating the right way. bad bacteria in your gut keep you captive and you feel good taste for food that make you keep the bad stuff. good bacteria do not kick you when they die. after cleaning and healing the guts you can more easily prefer healthy food. the industry does not want you eating simple and healthy, the industry wants to sell you complicated and addictive food. exercise is not the way out, exercise is useful in short, intense burst if you want to develop muscles, not for fat loss. yo yo diet. burn many calories now, fat gets out of adipose tissue, persistent organic pollutants (POP) come out as well (fat soluble), body remains distressed after exercise, unable to get rid of them, they go back stored in fat. yo yo. excreting the POP requires a healthy gut. taurine and glicine are required to conjugate some substances in order to be able to excrete them without absorbing them back. bad bacteria deconjugate and eat the glicine. voila. no taurine... glicine is wasted. taurine is produced from cysteine which is required for other detoxifying activity in the body - glutathione.

you don't need much exercise, you need safety on the road. never become exhausted on the road. you will be in danger because any sudden need to maneuver will catch you exhausted and therefore bad accidents can happen. become exhausted in more safe circumstances.

a bit offtopic... but not really unuseful info. you surely can't neglect nutrition and it's very much connected to exercising. who needs long, distresful exercise? nutrition is more of an answer. an e-bike is better for safety reasons and for not inhaling all that stuff that is exhausted by cars, more concentrated on the road, right?

remember, pressure cooked sweet potatoes in the evening and lactofermented (you don't need milk although it's useful but only when raw, you need a starting culture that has the right lactobacillus bacteria, think probiotics) oats in the morning can help you much more than the exercise you will surely be able to do eating this as a main course daily. mix a spoon of coconut oil (useful to inhibit yeast cultures taking over) in the oats (250g) before the 12h of fermenting and mix some flaxseed in green tea (about 750g water/tea, green tea is useful to inhibit bad things like listeria monocytogenes). your mileage may vary. exercise your brain as well preparing this.
Good point!
Old 08-26-19, 07:37 PM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
At 68, I still ride my "analog" bikes but just today, for the first time, I got to try a couple of Trek e-bikes - a Verve 2 and one of their mountain bikes (which cost somewhere around $4500 MSRP). Frankly, I liked the Verve better but I don't do much more than ride dirt/gravel roads on my Novara Ponderosa (which I've pretty well converted, over the years, to a dual sport/hybrid bike). My other bike is a Brompton M6L. My preferred riding is on bike paths and I won't ride in traffic (retired). My problem locally is that we only have about 10-20 miles of dedicated bike trails and the longest one is under 10 miles round trip. An e-bike wouldn't do much for me here.

Riding the e-bikes were eye opening. It's too soon to buy into that technology for me but I can see one in my future.
Old 08-28-19, 01:39 AM
Manu431

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
ebike is a different bicycle as an "analog" bicycle, but it remains for sure a bicycle. You get out what you provide at the input
In europe, you have to pedal to activate the motor. And depending on the bike, the power/torque is sensible to input force and frequency rpm.
You can cruise in a relaxed mood, or decide to keep the maximum speed at all price (the motor cut at 27 km/h on my bike)
Ebike are heavy. Mine is about 26 kg.

I take my ebike as a pure transportation device.
I use it for everything from city to commuting or even travelling.

As a kid, I have been transported thousands of kilometers on the back seat of a Velosolex 3800 (I a currently looking for a model to renovate, but they are pretty expensive nowodays)
It was very popular at that time in France, and the main way of transport of my mother, but also of my father everytime he needed to go into the city.
It was a real way of life, like bicycle in china , probably something the you never had in the USA
Les photos des garages velosolex en France

I will never forget that time, the noise, the wind in my face.
It has a speed of about 25 km/h with less than one liter gas per 100 km.

A ebike is nothing else as a modern version of the Velosolex 3800, which was nothing else as a bicycle with a small motor.
When you look at pictures of that time, you just see people going to work , going into the city, driving kids to school, ..... In city clothes.
Just taking benefits of such a way of transport.

I take personally Ebike like that, and this is why I decided to purchase a city ebike with an open frame

Old 08-28-19, 06:36 PM
Blasst

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What model is your bike Manu431? Nice looking for sure, I am looking at step thru ebikes myself right now. I'm in the U.S. and after using ebikes in Taiwan recently I am a big fan of the step thru ebike. And I am 6'2" and 215lbs and in shape and don't consider it a woman's bike at all...the step thru version
Old 08-30-19, 04:43 AM
Manu431

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
It is a kahlkoff include 8 premium (with belt ; exist with chain too)

https://electricbikereview.com/kalkh...ude-8-premium/

you would find easily videos on you tube.
Old 09-02-19, 04:09 PM
Blasst

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Manu431!
Old 09-02-19, 08:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...other than the commuting longer miles thing (which I get...I've done it here and it gets really hot in the summertime), I don't get why an e-bike for exercise. Just get some regular old bike and ride it a little slower. Same exercise value, no problems with exhaustion, and the idea that somehow goin' faster on a bicycle makes you "safer" just made me laugh out loud.
Old 09-03-19, 09:29 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...other than the commuting longer miles thing (which I get...I've done it here and it gets really hot in the summertime), I don't get why an e-bike for exercise. Just get some regular old bike and ride it a little slower. Same exercise value, no problems with exhaustion, and the idea that somehow goin' faster on a bicycle makes you "safer" just made me laugh out loud.
One thing I discovered is when I am short on time, I would sometimes skip a workout ride but if I use the motor I can still get that ride in as it is much faster. Also, physically or mentally if I'm not feeling up to a ride I still might go out with the motor because it's a "backup". Every time I get started riding I end up working hard and being happy I did it; it's just getting going that sometimes is a bit of a barrier.
Old 09-03-19, 12:30 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I don't get why an e-bike for exercise. Just get some regular old bike and ride it a little slower. Same exercise value, no problems with exhaustion, and the idea that somehow goin' faster on a bicycle makes you "safer" just made me laugh out loud.
Dude, I totally get it. Like why do people buy muscle cars when you can get just a plain old car and drive slower. And what's the point of motorcycles?
Old 09-03-19, 11:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by fly135
Dude, I totally get it. Like why do people buy muscle cars when you can get just a plain old car and drive slower. And what's the point of motorcycles?
...so the point of e-bikes is to go faster ? How does that relate to exercise (the thread topic, IIRC), if the electric motor and the battery are doing the work ? Is there some kind of special attachment so you can use the battery for muscle stimulation like this ?

Old 09-04-19, 12:05 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by linberl
One thing I discovered is when I am short on time, I would sometimes skip a workout ride but if I use the motor I can still get that ride in as it is much faster. Also, physically or mentally if I'm not feeling up to a ride I still might go out with the motor because it's a "backup". Every time I get started riding I end up working hard and being happy I did it; it's just getting going that sometimes is a bit of a barrier.
...no offense, but welcome to the world of exercise. Everyone has the same problems, because it never gets easier. You just get used to breathing hard and sweating, and maybe you get to look forward to the endorphin rush. But it always requires some self discipline to exercise regularly.

If you need an e-bike to encourage you to exercise, and you feel like the faster ride is somehow "helping" you in that process, there's a strong possibility you have a basic misunderstanding of how exercise works in the human physiological process. I'm happy you're getting out, and I guess if you feel like that's the best you can do, it beats nothing. At least you're outside.
Old 09-04-19, 05:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
^^^ I don't disagree but I'm inclined to let folks run with it in the ebike section. Post it in General, different response
Old 09-04-19, 07:44 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
It depends on the rider and the ebike, just common sense. My spouse rides her ebike, (PAS-Copenhagen Wheel), when we do hilly routes, faster group rides or particularly long rides. She's become stronger on her analog bike because of the additional exercise, challenges she's exposed herself to on these ebike routes. Sorta like using spin class to build endurance and confidence.

She tried the push button, throttle type of ebike many years ago. We found those inappropriate for the type of riding we do.
Old 09-04-19, 09:09 AM
fly135

...so the point of e-bikes is to go faster ? How does that relate to exercise (the thread topic, IIRC), if the electric motor and the battery are doing the work ? Is there some kind of special attachment so you can use the battery for muscle stimulation like this ?
You seem to know absolutely nothing about eBikes. Yes, the point is being able to go faster while simultaneously allowing the rider to chose how much they want to work at it. There are various settings on most eBikes that dial in how much effort is needed to go at any particular speed. The special attachment that does this is the control pad on the handlebars. The motor only provides a portion of the work from none to all depending on the type of motor and the selected setting.
Old 09-04-19, 09:20 AM
linberl

...no offense, but welcome to the world of exercise. Everyone has the same problems, because it never gets easier. You just get used to breathing hard and sweating, and maybe you get to look forward to the endorphin rush. But it always requires some self discipline to exercise regularly.

If you need an e-bike to encourage you to exercise, and you feel like the faster ride is somehow "helping" you in that process, there's a strong possibility you have a basic misunderstanding of how exercise works in the human physiological process. I'm happy you're getting out, and I guess if you feel like that's the best you can do, it beats nothing. At least you're outside.
Actually I do understand exercise. I ride unmotored 90% of the time, that's why I purchased a simple friction drive system I can easily remove from either of my bikes. I also don't have a car and I bike everywhere for transportation and errands. I guess you're just perfect and always feel like getting out on even the worst weather days and when you haven't slept well or are achy - me, I am human and some days I'm more motivated than others.
Old 09-04-19, 09:28 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
If you look at it by people who wouldn't normally commute or wouldn't normally do as many errands on a manual bike, then yes. I could see an e-bike having a person do more work than a manual bike person.

Recreational riding? It's debatable depending on the scenario. If you refuse to go ride because you can't keep up with a spouse or friend, that's on you. I'm sure you could find a more suitable group or ride your own route alone.

I feel like the math works out to favor it if you're in a situation of all or nothing. If you'd ride a manual bike anyway, it won't work out. If you'd take a pass on the manual bike altogether, then obviously it works out.

What I see more of around here is folks treating it like a moped on the greenway. Not die hard commuters taking on a longer bike commute due to their new e-bike.

I see a lot more "moped" usage than I see commuter usage, and I live in an area you'd expect to see more commuter usage of e-bikes given the hills in town.

Shoot, I see kids these days walking their dogs while riding one of those electric balance board things. So damn lazy.
Old 09-04-19, 09:52 AM
fly135

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Recreational riding? It's debatable depending on the scenario.
How I choose to mix exercise and fun is not debatable in the least. It's my personal choice and people who would judge that are simply attempting to satisfy an insecurity about their need to feel superior in some way. The obvious answer to the thread topic is "it depends on how you would use each". But somehow it got transformed into whether the method of choice is legitimate.
Old 09-04-19, 11:26 AM
linberl

Yes. No one is entitled to judge someone else based on their bike/ebike usage. It's just not someone else's business. Why would anyone care about someone else's exercise? I think that's really odd. Do you criticize roadies for having granny gears? Or lighter bikes? Obviously, you only ride fixed gear because gearing makes for less exercise. But - in any case - the simple fact is one can get as much exercise with an ebike as a regular, IF they choose to do so. It's a tool like any other; how you use it is what matters. People who ride them like mopeds wouldn't be riding a regular bike in any case, they'd probably be driving, so it's still a small win.
Old 09-04-19, 11:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
How I choose to mix exercise and fun is not debatable in the least. It's my personal choice and people who would judge that are simply attempting to satisfy an insecurity about their need to feel superior in some way. The obvious answer to the thread topic is "it depends on how you would use each". But somehow it got transformed into whether the method of choice is legitimate.
I love how you cut the quote off at a convenient spot to be able to get offended about something that's not even offensive.

Right after that is: "I feel like the math works out to favor it if you're in a situation of all or nothing. If you'd ride a manual bike anyway, it won't work out. If you'd take a pass on the manual bike altogether, then obviously it works out."

You did include an important part I said: "depending on the scenario". But then chose to ignore it completely to get offended.

I then presented the scenario on which it would depend, utilizing the e-bike primary in full assist like a moto:

"What I see more of around here is folks treating it like a moped on the greenway. Not die hard commuters taking on a longer bike commute due to their new e-bike.

I see a lot more "moped" usage than I see commuter usage, and I live in an area you'd expect to see more commuter usage of e-bikes given the hills in town.

Shoot, I see kids these days walking their dogs while riding one of those electric balance board things. So damn lazy."

So, I clearly did not say that someone using an e-bike for exercise is lazy. I'm debating the math presented in studies when I said "I feel like the math works out".

I think you're searching for a reason to be offended about being an e-bike user instead of bothering to objectively look at the data and how surveys are conducted. Nothing about debating the data or survey methods is in the least bit offensive.
Old 09-04-19, 12:07 PM
linberl

Maybe it depends on where you live....where i live the ebikes are used in pedal assist mode almost all the time. The only time I've seen someone use it like a moped is this guy who clearly built his own ebike and it looks like a motorcycle with pedals. Probably just wanted to avoid having to register and insure. But I see lots of commuters with ebikes, obviously not wanting to get to work all sweaty and stinky. Of course, I live where bike commuting is not just possible, it's pretty easy. Or maybe folks in N.C. are just lazy, lol.
Old 09-04-19, 12:48 PM
fly135

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I love how you cut the quote off at a convenient spot to be able to get offended about something that's not even offensive.
Sorry, I should have also quoted this, which is what precipitated my response....

"If you refuse to go ride because you can't keep up with a spouse or friend, that's on you. I'm sure you could find a more suitable group or ride your own route alone."

If you have an eBike then you can keep up with a spouse or your friend and don't have go alone or with a suitable group. "That's on you" and the suggestion that you should chose riding on your own sounds judgemental. Hence, my response. Only you know exactly how judgemental that response was intended to be.

How much exercise a person gets is a matter of physics. How eBikes affect the overall population WRT exercise vs a regular bike is a matter of polling and statistics. I get more exercise because I have an ebike and like riding it. So for this sample of one the answer is yes I get more exercise because of ebikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.