Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on an Electric bicycle or Kit (Indian Users)

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 01:53 AM
jammy420

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A question to Indian users of this forum.

My father has decided to switch over to an Electric cycle. I am finalizing a model or a Kit. Our primary requirement is

1. Reliability
2. Affordability.

He is not a cyclist. He doesn't have any big/medium expectations of a cycling enthusiast. He simply looking for an EV alternative to cut down fuel expenses. The budget is as minimum as possible (12k-22k INR), but NECESSARY to spend on components that give more reliability. Not ready to go with cheaper components that would break soon.

I have shortlisted Hero Lectros or suggest me some Kit options.
Old 11-19-19, 08:32 AM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
I am not an Indian but Googling around I found two companies in Hyderabad: Pedalease, and Virtus Motors, both sell kit motors and batteries, a 36v 250w motor plus 7 or 8 ah lithium battery is going to cost from 24k INR including postage, I recommend you do not buy a 24v motor, 36v is really the minimum power you will need to climb hills. You can also find kits on Amazon.in but if possible try to find out the reputation for after-sales support from whichever company you choose to buy from, over the 3 years since I bought my kit motor I have found it necessary to replace the controller so a good stock of spare parts and reasonable customer service are important. I recommend you avoid buying direct from a seller on aliexpress.com because the sellers come and go and you may not get any after-sales service, but instead you might buy direct from a Chinese company with a good international reputation in the ebike community like EM3EV.com

For a prebuilt ebike as well as Hero/Lectro you might also consider Asiabike which are assembled in Sri Lanka from international parts - I like their BRT19E1017 step-through model with a Bafang mid-drive motor and Shimano Nexus 7 Internal Geared Hub shifter which means your Dad could change gear when he is stopped.

Last edited by Dewey101; 11-19-19 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 02:50 AM
jammy420

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the detailed information. was useful