Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 04:46 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Wheels

I hope this is ok, I purchased my Premium Account and am planning to sell a few things but have a question. I have two sets of wheel, one are clinchers Record hubs and Mavic MA 40's I think those would probably be good selling as complete wheel. The other are Wolber Aspin sew-ups with the Record hubs. Would it be better to take the free wheel off and then unlace them and sell as hubs only? If I need to move this et me know, just looking for some help for those who know better then me. Wheels are from the mid 80's

Last edited by Paul J; 12-08-19 at 04:47 PM. Reason: missed words
Old 12-08-19, 04:49 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
I would try to seel them whole first - if they are fairly priced and nobody bites, then part them out.
Old 12-08-19, 06:13 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Depending on cost and shipping cost I'd be interested in the Record clincher wheels. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Or I could trade a few other small items.

Cheers
Old 12-09-19, 08:06 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Depending on cost and shipping cost I'd be interested in the Record clincher wheels. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Or I could trade a few other small items.

Cheers
Thanks, but I think this set will probably go with the Super Record group that I'm trying to trade for a 10 speed Campy group.
Old 12-09-19, 09:13 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
The challenge with wheels is shipping. It can cost MORE to ship a pair of wheels versus a frameset! Its a thick square box, which is the worst for shipping rates.

To me, it depends on the condition of rims. When I get older Campy wheels where the rims show a lot of wear, the decision is obvious.

And not only is the postage a lot higher, its a LOT more work to pack. Not bad, but packing two hubs is easy, five minute job.

By all means, take the freewheel off. If it is in good condition, it can have some value.
Old 12-09-19, 02:31 PM
Paul J

Originally Posted by wrk101
The challenge with wheels is shipping. It can cost MORE to ship a pair of wheels versus a frameset! Its a thick square box, which is the worst for shipping rates.

To me, it depends on the condition of rims. When I get older Campy wheels where the rims show a lot of wear, the decision is obvious.

And not only is the postage a lot higher, its a LOT more work to pack. Not bad, but packing two hubs is easy, five minute job.

By all means, take the freewheel off. If it is in good condition, it can have some value.
Thanks!