Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Pain & Some Permanent Numbness - Help!

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 12:51 AM
_barney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, first post here!

I started riding seriously this past March. I bought a Single Speed at a local bike shop and started going on short 5-10mile rides. I started feeling pretty sore in all kinds of places, which I thought would be fine. But over a few weeks, numbness and soreness right in front of my right sit bone continued even the next morning when I woke up. 1.5 months in, I went back to the store and they put me on another saddle. After I got put in this saddle, everything instantly felt much, much better. I should note that I ride with Tri shorts.

Old Single Speed Saddle Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/mD3Rz
https://imgur.com/a/FHID7

I recently just completed my first sprint Triathlon, and started having some knee pain (for a few months my left knee was just kinda feeling loose) and all of a sudden two weeks ago I started feeling pain while biking. Saw a PT, and he said I needed to make sure I got fitted for a bike. Took in the bike, they moved the seat up and back.

First question: Any exercises or advice on healing from knee pain? I biked for the first time yesterday in over a week, and the slight loose feeling came back. I went to see the PT as soon as the pain started. It took about 4 days for the pain to go away.

This week, I decided it's time to get off a steel State bike, and invest in a bike with gears (to help save the knees and invest in the sport). So I'm currently trying out a Trek Emonda. Was thrilled yesterday with the speed, responsiveness, and ease of having gears (!!!) - however, the creeping sensation of a hard saddle came back. A deep numbness (that makes my right hamstring go numb) came back, and throughout the day today, if I'm sitting the wrong way in any chair, the right butt and hamstring will just go numb. Oh, I should also mention, that my crotch area goes numb periodically too.

SO, more important question: Does anyone have any experience of this? I probably need to go see a doctor because there is some permanent damage...but anyone heard of this before? Any advice in terms of saddle changes (I'll edit with a picture of the Emonda Saddle tomorrow morning), but I thought i'd just get this post up and see if anyone could help out.

Thanks so much in advance. I appreciate any help I can get.
Old 09-22-16, 10:08 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My butt is quite particular about saddles. I've used a Volt and found it to be an excellent saddle. It is not a particularly hard saddle. Its padding level is optimal, IMO. Softer saddles cause more problems.

Everyone's butt is different and they come in different widths. It is most important that a saddle be the correct width for you. If you LBS doesn't offer a free sit bone width measurement, find one that does. You'll sit on a pad, leaving your sit bone impressions which are then measured by the staff. From that, they can tell if your saddle is a suitable width or not.

It's very possible that the numbness is a issue in your back, not in your butt, though most likely it's Piriformis Syndrome (google).

Your problems seem largely a result of starting cycling on a single speed bike without getting it fitted to you. Those problems are now between your doctor, PT, and bike fitter.

Healing from knee pain: Again, for your PT. Usually, the first thing is to stretch, stretches like these: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post15372967

The other good thing is gym work: squats, single leg presses, calf raises, knee extensions but only between 150° and 180°. Start with lightish weights and 30 reps. Over several months, gradually work your way up in weight and down in reps until you are doing say 4 sets of 5 reps with all the weight you can handle in good form. However, follow your PT's instructions.
Old 10-07-16, 08:33 PM
jeffreng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have flexibility issues? The problem may be tight mms in your lower back. Try doing some stretches in the morning and before cycling. You might also not have the strength for the gear ratio so the extra gears may help.
Old 10-08-16, 06:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
The Internet and your bike shops are not your doctors. They and we can suggest all we want, but my family experience is that persistent numbness can be a really dangerous situation that needs medical attention. Getting rid of the problem when it's small is much easier than dealing with the issues related to and stemming from major surgery to correct a severe nerve pressure issue, if that's what you have.

I can't say any of what's been suggested as a buy this, fit that, pedal different solution is wrong. But it's not the base of the problem.