Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Torn = Bike Nobie: Trek Neko or Verse?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Torn = Bike Nobie: Trek Neko or Verse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 10:10 PM
bnlauren

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torn = Bike Newbie: Trek Neko or Verve?

Hi All!

I'm a complete newbie to biking and I'm looking to get my first bike in 20+ years. I'm torn between 4 bikes: Trek Neko 1 & 2 / Trek Verve 1 & 2.

Ideally, I'll be riding some gravel bike trails and taking nice rides in the city with friends. I'm 5'6". I"m not sure if I prefer the upright position and neutral position. What's the pros/cons for each for a good ride?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by bnlauren; 06-02-18 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-03-18, 03:07 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome!

In terms of quality and components, both bikes will be reliable and both bikes have good components on them. You choice should come down to comfort, riding position, sizing, etc. You'll probably best suited to a frame in the 15-17" range on both bikes, but your local bike shop will be able to fit you properly to both. Both bikes should offer a somewhat upright riding position, which will probably feel the best to you. A Trek FX would offer a slightly more forward/aggressive riding position, and you should try that also while you're at the Trek store just to sample it and see if it suits you.

In terms of fundamental differences, the Verve has a rigid fork with wider tires than the Neko (45mm wide tires). These have more air volume so you can ride with slightly less air pressure and still have good comfort. The Verve also has a suspension seat post. On the other hand, the Neko has narrower tires (38mm if I recall correctly) and it has a suspension fork, so it takes a slightly different approach to rider comfort. To be sure, you don't "need" either the suspension seat post or fork, but many find one or both to add comfort and enjoyment to a ride. And some don't like them, and prefer rigid seat posts and forks. I suggest you just ride both bikes and see which one speaks to you. They should feel different enough that you walk away saying, "I want that one!"
Old 06-19-18, 02:46 AM
Ric14221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Trek Verve 3. Had it fitted and is the most comfortable bike ever. Bought an Giant Escape 1. No comparison Verve 3 much more comfortable. Giant is faster though