Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ceramic Bearings or Stick with steel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ceramic Bearings or Stick with steel

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 08:48 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The OP could get nearly the same benefit by just setting fire to a $20 bill.
I’ve had really good results with that.
Old 07-07-18, 12:57 PM
djordan

Bikes: 1992 Trek 2100; 1988 Peugeot Versailles; 2006 Motobecane Grand Sprint; 1989 Raleigh Technium 400; 200X Lemond Victoire

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
You seem to know the answers well and they don't seem to mean much. Not sure a meaningful answer can be given or accepted after the fact.

The original steel balls are the cheapest and easiest to replace part of the bearings, that is if they should ever need replacement. If the other parts ever need replacement, the cones may or not be easy or cheap; the cups -- new hub time. The ceramic will inevitably wear the cups and cones faster than steel. The original bearings as delivered were exceptionally functional and durable if maintained, but you don't seem to ride any of your bikes very much. Is durability really an issue?
Don't know why you would say that - I actually ride as much as I can! - (although it rotate bikes often so no single bike is getting too many miles)

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Dredging up an old dead thread to publicly anguish over a small done deal must be about something other than hypothetical damage and wear. Perhaps it's mostly about needing an "excuse to upgrade" which is off topic for this forum and to which I cannot speak. Good luck.
Trying not to take this all too seriously and I like experimenting with different things, but I also don't want to be "reckless" or foolishly damage anything.
My plan was simply to try out the ceramic bearings and see if I actually noticed anything different - I can easily change them back - probably within an hour or two

Thanks for the comments
As a PS - I just discovered the 600 hub is actually designed with a bit of extra spacing - I put 11 balls in - I really should have put in 10.
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano FH-6400 & HB-6400 600EX Ultegra
So I've now got two extra balls (ouch)