Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain alignment issues with Schwinn Super Sport

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-18, 05:43 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts

I'm in the process of refurbishing my brother in laws 72 Super Sport and I've run into some problems that I sure could use help on. When I put it all back together, the chain is skipping when it's in small in back and small in front gears. You can see that the chain is on too much of an angle which I feel is the problem, but as far as I can remember,I put it back together with the same spacers and locknuts. I took it to the lbs and he said it must need a new set of gears because they must be worn out. Here's what I've done so far without any positive results.

I replaced the original 5 speed gear set with a Suntour 6 speed that was just as wide as the 5 speed. no change
I've adjusted the derailleur according to instruction from an old repair book from 1973 showing the exact Schwinn Approved Huret Allvit derailleur. no change
I replaced that derailleur with a SunTour 7 GT I had laying around. Had to remove the dork disc because the Suntour was too wide and it scraped. no change
I replaced the original chain with a Sedis chain. no change

I replaced the entire rear wheel with one from my Superior, and the issue went away. It looked like the chain was a little more in a straight line so that's why I feel it's the position of the rear wheel that's the cause of the problem. I have to admit that I did not ride the bike before I tore it apart so I don't know how well it worked before I started.

If someone could show in pictures, or just explain the rear bolts, lock washers and spacers,which ones on the drive side and which ones on the non drive side etc, I might see what I did wrong.

There's a different bike store about 40 miles from me that deals with a lot of older Schwinns, he even has a Schwinn Sting Ray museum, so I may end up taking it to him if I can't figure this out. Hopefully someone here will set me in the right direction. They usually do.
Old 08-09-18, 08:45 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 76SLT
...If someone could show in pictures, or just explain the rear bolts, lock washers and spacers,which ones on the drive side and which ones on the non drive side etc, I might see what I did wrong.
Here you go: SLDB 1969-70 Repair Hub Dept pg 111

I have many of these bikes with original components and have no problems skipping in any gears including small/small. Once you figure it out let us know what the problem turned out to be.
Old 08-09-18, 09:32 PM
76SLT 

Thank you! I think this will help. I'll look at it tomorrow.
Old 08-09-18, 10:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I believe you need 7 speed chain to work with the closer spaced cogs of the 6 speed Free Wheel.
Is the Sedis 7 speed?
Old 08-10-18, 10:00 AM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing to check is that your new cranks and B.B. taper are compatible
Old 08-10-18, 11:07 AM
76SLT 

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I believe you need 7 speed chain to work with the closer spaced cogs of the 6 speed Free Wheel.
Is the Sedis 7 speed?
Great point. I put on a new KMC chain for 5-6-7 speeds, and it seems to be ok now. The kmc did not work though with the original cogs or derailleur. I'm going to take it for a ride and test it thoroughly before giving it back to the brother in law. Here's a pic of the bike.