Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1X11 v triple chainring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

1X11 v triple chainring

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 04:36 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Different pedal strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted by Eggman84
Thanks to those that have replied. I will stick with my 3 x 9 for touring, I like the small steps when hauling a load, and I am not getting younger so granny gears help a lot. But after reading the above responses, I have a new found appreciation for the benefits of 1 x setups. Really shows how there isn't a right or wrong way, but a best tool for the person and job.
Couldn't agree more. I need my granny for grinding up hills after 60 miles of loaded touring. On the other hand mtn bikers tearing up trails don't need a grinder. The narrower offset and smaller dish on the rear wheel means fewer broken spokes and a bigger, more robust chain gives me a sense of security as well. Half step plus granny gearing for the delicate art of finding just the right gear in the friction shifting days is an art that is probably long past but I hear that indexed shifting is probably here to stay so I'm willing to "adjust."😉
Old 12-24-18, 05:53 PM
Mike Ayling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

Says the guy with the $1300 IGH so he could go with a single ring.
Could you direct me to some Rohloff advertisements?
IMHO they get most of their sales from people reading about them on forums, in Cycleblaze etc.
I have two, one on a single and one on our Thorn tandem.

Mike
Old 12-24-18, 08:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Ayling
Could you direct me to some Rohloff advertisements?
IMHO they get most of their sales from people reading about them on forums, in Cycleblaze etc.
I have two, one on a single and one on our Thorn tandem.
Mike
I am not following your point.
Old 12-24-18, 10:36 PM
Mike Ayling

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 X !! v triple

Originally Posted by Kapusta

I am not following your point.
I thought that you were suggesting that a previous poster had fallen for a slick advertising campaign by Rohloff befor purchasing his $1300 IGH.
I don't believe that Rohloff advertise much at all.

Mike
Old 12-25-18, 07:39 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Mike Ayling
I thought that you were suggesting that a previous poster had fallen for a slick advertising campaign by Rohloff befor purchasing his $1300 IGH.
I don't believe that Rohloff advertise much at all.

Mike
OK, I get it now. No, that is not what I was intending to suggest.

My snark was referencing the fact that the poster was (as he often does) sugggesting that the ever exanding number of gears in the rear, as well as 1x in general is just pointless marketing baloney for the uninformed newbies.

But then he drolls on about how great his 1x14 is..... which costs far more.

So obviously he DOES see the point in wanting a 1x setup with a wide range rear, and it is NOT just marketing.
Old 12-25-18, 12:46 PM
Merrimac

Bikes: Road, carbon, 32mm tires

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 11 Posts
Most of the contributors in this thread are way beyond me in cycling savvy. I'm probably representative of the kind of unsophisticated rider that my SRAM PG-1130 1x11 is targeted for. I appreciated the lighter weight since I can't afford carbon frames (mine is an aluminum-frame gravel bike). Also, not being a skilled mechanic I appreciate having to maintain and adjust only one derailleur.
I ride 80% on roads, 20% gravel/single-track, including commuting occasionally—typically ranging only about 5 to 14 miles per ride. Having no pride, and having trouble on a few of the steep hills coming up from our local river, I switched from a 42 to a 46 on the cassette's big gear. Now the hills are fun. I understand and agree with the complaints in this thread about the narrow range of 1x11s, but the SRAM 11-46 is perfect for my terrain, and my skill/strength ability, all of which are surely modest compared to most of you. So, for me, no regrets riding the 1-11.
But if I were a better rider, I'd probably go with with the double or triple that many of you advocate. My road bike has the common Shimano 105 drivetrain with the double chainring, which worked great. The additional maintenance was not really a big deal, and bike still weighs four pounds less than my sturdier gravel bike. But I like the versatility of the gravel bike, which is safer on our roads that are pretty beat up after a New England winter. The 1x11 seems to make sense for it.
Old 12-25-18, 04:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Merrimac
Most of the contributors in this thread are way beyond me in cycling savvy. I'm probably representative of the kind of unsophisticated rider that my SRAM PG-1130 1x11 is targeted for. I appreciated the lighter weight since I can't afford carbon frames (mine is an aluminum-frame gravel bike). Also, not being a skilled mechanic I appreciate having to maintain and adjust only one derailleur.
I ride 80% on roads, 20% gravel/single-track, including commuting occasionally—typically ranging only about 5 to 14 miles per ride. Having no pride, and having trouble on a few of the steep hills coming up from our local river, I switched from a 42 to a 46 on the cassette's big gear. Now the hills are fun. I understand and agree with the complaints in this thread about the narrow range of 1x11s, but the SRAM 11-46 is perfect for my terrain, and my skill/strength ability, all of which are surely modest compared to most of you. So, for me, no regrets riding the 1-11.
But if I were a better rider, I'd probably go with with the double or triple that many of you advocate. My road bike has the common Shimano 105 drivetrain with the double chainring, which worked great. The additional maintenance was not really a big deal, and bike still weighs four pounds less than my sturdier gravel bike. But I like the versatility of the gravel bike, which is safer on our roads that are pretty beat up after a New England winter. The 1x11 seems to make sense for it.
It really has little to do with how savvy you are. Plenty of very knowledgeable and experienced mountain bikers are choosing 1x with a similar cassette to what you are running now. And others are choosing 2x or 3x.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-27-18 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 09:03 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
1x on a road bike? Maybe, and can be debated to.death on where and when 1x on a mtb? Yes, especially with remote dropper posts and lockouts needing space on the bars now.