Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New bike on order Canyon Urban 5.0

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 02-05-19, 11:50 AM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just placed an order for a new Canyon urban 5.0 beld drive 8 spd, i should have it in a week or so.
Old 02-05-19, 02:12 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Congrats, I can't wait to hear your report and see a few pics. I love the Urban series and thought hard about getting a couple of the 8.0s on Canyon's Black Friday sales. But, decided on the RoadLite instead. The gates drive train and the design of the bike in general check a lot of boxes. Hope you have as wonderful time putting it together as I did. I think Canyon is kind of a well kept secret in the bike world in the US. Enjoy

BTW, that bike would be right at home on both the Withlacoochee and Western Maryland...
Old 02-05-19, 05:16 PM
Beavis5220

Bikes: 2020 BMC Alpenchallenge 2017 BMC Alpenchallenge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Great bike......big fan of Canyon. I have a similar set up on my BMC with the internal gear hub and Gates belt drive. I live in Florida and the 1x8 Gates is perfect for our roads. Your bike comes with Hexlox, I also have those and they are nice for security. Post pics when you get her built.....
Old 02-07-19, 12:05 AM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Congrats, I can't wait to hear your report and see a few pics. I love the Urban series and thought hard about getting a couple of the 8.0s on Canyon's Black Friday sales. But, decided on the RoadLite instead. The gates drive train and the design of the bike in general check a lot of boxes. Hope you have as wonderful time putting it together as I did. I think Canyon is kind of a well kept secret in the bike world in the US. Enjoy

BTW, that bike would be right at home on both the Withlacoochee and Western Maryland...

Ha, My house in FL is near the Withaloochee, I ride it whenever I get a chance. In MD I ride wherever I can, mostly the B&A Trail, however, my plan for the Canyon is travel. I recently flew to San Francisco with my bike and rode for a few days, I thought the belt drive would be a bit more travel friendly, less mess than a chain and simpler to set up. I will post plenty of photos. I want to see if I can put everything together with what comes in the box. Cheers.
Old 02-07-19, 12:13 AM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beavis5220
Great bike......big fan of Canyon. I have a similar set up on my BMC with the internal gear hub and Gates belt drive. I live in Florida and the 1x8 Gates is perfect for our roads. Your bike comes with Hexlox, I also have those and they are nice for security. Post pics when you get her built.....
I looked at the BMC but I really wanted to try the Canyon. and the nearest BMC dealer to me in MD is quite a ways away.

I was trying to wait but I am stuck in MD and through a series of events, all 4 of my bikes and car are down in FL, and I won't be able t to bring them back until late march, we had a couple warm days here in MD and the new bike fever set in, I cannot even remember how I justified another bike, something about the opportunity cost of not riding etc......so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Bike arrives Monday. Weather forecast for next week is Sh*&^%!@T. go figure.
Old 02-07-19, 09:50 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by axxman
I was trying to wait but I am stuck in MD and through a series of events, all 4 of my bikes and car are down in FL, and I won't be able t to bring them back until late march, we had a couple warm days here in MD and the new bike fever set in, I cannot even remember how I justified another bike, something about the opportunity cost of not riding etc......so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Bike arrives Monday. Weather forecast for next week is Sh*&^%!@T. go figure.
I'm right there with you (near Winchester, VA) on the weather. It seems like we get at least one mid-winter thaw, and it seems like we had that last weekend and this week. They're calling for a shift back to winter for the rest of February...we'll see.

We get paid back in summer, though, when the south is burning up. :-) Having lived in southern NC for over 10 years, and my folks having moved to (and then from) Florida in the last 5 years, I know first hand that there just ain't perfect year-round weather anywhere.

I like your new bike rationale.
Old 02-07-19, 02:39 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by axxman
Ha, My house in FL is near the Withaloochee, I ride it whenever I get a chance. In MD I ride wherever I can, mostly the B&A Trail, however, my plan for the Canyon is travel. I recently flew to San Francisco with my bike and rode for a few days, I thought the belt drive would be a bit more travel friendly, less mess than a chain and simpler to set up. I will post plenty of photos. I want to see if I can put everything together with what comes in the box. Cheers.
My wife and I live in RainBow Springs not far from the Gulf Junction and ride the Withlaoochee almost every day usually to Inverness and back. Have you tried the new Neighbor Trail that connects the Withlacoochee near Chrom Road and goes to Brooksville? Or the new one from Santos to 200? Both are great rides. Sorry to hear you are currently in MD. The weather here has been fantastic for the past few days. high 70's low 80's sunny and not much wind...... perfect riding weather.

I the assembly is anything like our two RoadLites it will only take a 15 min or so. Canyon does a great job of packaging and really the only thing to do is insert the seat post, put on the handlebar assembly, install the pedals and air the tires..... Looking. forward to seeing your photos and reading your first ride report..
Old 02-07-19, 04:45 PM
Beavis5220

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
My wife and I live in RainBow Springs not far from the Gulf Junction and ride the Withlaoochee almost every day usually to Inverness and back. Have you tried the new Neighbor Trail that connects the Withlacoochee near Chrom Road and goes to Brooksville? Or the new one from Santos to 200? Both are great rides. Sorry to hear you are currently in MD. The weather here has been fantastic for the past few days. high 70's low 80's sunny and not much wind...... perfect riding weather.

I the assembly is anything like our two RoadLites it will only take a 15 min or so. Canyon does a great job of packaging and really the only thing to do is insert the seat post, put on the handlebar assembly, install the pedals and air the tires..... Looking. forward to seeing your photos and reading your first ride report..
You live in a beautiful part of Florida.....I've kayaked Rainbow Springs and it's amazing...play golf every summer in Brooksville and spent my youth in Lake Panasoffkee and fishing the Withlacoochee......maybe it's time for a bike road trip....
Old 02-11-19, 07:56 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just did a test assembly tonight, to make sure everything fits. I will not have good riding weather for several days so I plan to take my time, The Hexlox bolts are a bit strange and I want to make sure I find the correct torque spec as the front for is carbon.

The Weigh in. Not bad for aluminum.

Pretty much everything you need comes inside the box. All Tools assembly paste etc. Assembly took just a few minutes with the exception of the HexLox security bolts. I had to read the manual and look on the Hexlox website, but it was easy, I was just being careful not to over tighten as the fork is carbon, I think.

Last edited by axxman; 02-11-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 08:01 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty happy so far, feels good, like my last 4 bikes, I will probably need to swap out the saddle and maybe get some riser bars. The bike is light, actually lighter than my Specialized Sirrus X1. The DT Swiss wheels look to be very good. The bike feels compact compared to my other bikes, can't wait to try it out. So far I am happy with Canyon, bike got here in a week and assembly was 15min.
Old 02-12-19, 05:11 PM
Beavis5220

bike looks great.....I also have DT Swiss wheels and they have been fantastic. Why the riser bars????
Old 02-12-19, 06:53 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Very nice looking bike. Congrats!
Old 02-13-19, 05:43 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beavis5220
bike looks great.....I also have DT Swiss wheels and they have been fantastic. Why the riser bars????
Thanks, as far as the riser bars, I am of the age and shape that requires as much of an upright position as possible. ;-)
Old 02-14-19, 09:45 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
How wide of tires can you fit on the bike?
Old 02-14-19, 03:26 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prj71
How wide of tires can you fit on the bike?
looks like I could get 40-42 in the rear, the front bigger still
it comes with 35, so I think I am good.
Old 02-14-19, 08:55 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, well the weather forecast for the next week or so looks like I will not get a chance to ride my bike any time soon, next week I will travel to FL where I have 4 bikes to choose from so in the mean time, I made this janky video of me unboxing:
There is only 1 videos of this model on youtube and it is in swedish. so I guess this is the first english video of the Urban 5.0. Cheers.