Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Would you have gone with a size up in the frame?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Would you have gone with a size up in the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 02:20 PM
wrightwrjr

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra Road Bike, Trek 3500 Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is so much information available on frame size, stem height, saddle height, fore and aft saddle position, etc., etc., etc. that you can find whatever answer your looking for if you read enough. I am most comfortable with my saddle height adjusted lower than my handle bars on my road bike. Is that common or what is considered normal? No, it isn't, however, it is what is comfortable for me. I had a choice between a 51cm frame and a 48cm frame. The 48 just felt too small and I opted for the 51. I am 62 years old and I am not our to win any races, I am all about being comfortable on my road bike. Yes, I do prefer a road bike over a hybrid or a cruiser because I do enjoy riding the drops from time to time. Getting the saddle height adjusted for comfort is the most important thing in my opinion. My saddle height was lower than my bar height and I still got spacers to raise my bars even more. Now I am comfortable, and to me that is what is important. My speed has not suffered as a result of my unorthodox adjustments, but my ability to ride longer due to being more comfortable has increased. The bottom line is this in my opinion. When I spend $1400.00 of my money on a bike I can set it up any way I choose regardless if someone says it is "correct" or not. I ride every day and do not get sore or winded. My bike is set up the way I want it and it's my bike, so that should be sufficient. Don't worry about what others say or think. Do what makes you comfortable.
Old 06-22-16, 09:34 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
At 5'7" - my optimal size is a 54-55.

If the top tube were longer, I'd go a size down.
Old 06-23-16, 10:38 AM
emailsfh
car dodger

Bikes: 2007 Moots Vamoots SL, 2007 EAI Bare Knuckle Fixed, 2014 Surly DT, 2019 Surly Big Easy | Wife's: 2008 Specialized Ruby Elite, 2014 Charge Plug 3, 2014 Mercier Kilo Fixed | Son's: Strider, Weehoo, Woom2, Islabikes | FOR SALE: Roark Ti

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
At 5'7" - my optimal size is a 54-55.

If the top tube were longer, I'd go a size down.
I'm guessing you have a very long torso? I would be very stretched out on a top tube of that length, even though I'm almost that tall. 53 is about right for me, maybe 54 with a 80-90mm stem.

I'm pretty much all done with this bike. If a 53cm comes up on eBay someday I might consider swapping the frame, but it fits very well with this current setup, and rides amazing--with or without a load--for how heavy it is:

https://www.bikeforums.net/18862938-post22.html
Old 06-23-16, 12:24 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't see anything wrong with the way you have your bike set up. I'm 5'7", and one of my drop bar bikes has an ETT of 55cm and the other has an ETT of 53.5cm. It's just a matter of using the right stem for them both to fit me fine.
Old 10-10-16, 01:12 PM
emailsfh
car dodger

Bikes: 2007 Moots Vamoots SL, 2007 EAI Bare Knuckle Fixed, 2014 Surly DT, 2019 Surly Big Easy | Wife's: 2008 Specialized Ruby Elite, 2014 Charge Plug 3, 2014 Mercier Kilo Fixed | Son's: Strider, Weehoo, Woom2, Islabikes | FOR SALE: Roark Ti

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This frame is for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Make me an offer!