Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Jobst Brandt "The Bicycle Wheel"

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Jobst Brandt "The Bicycle Wheel"

Old 05-23-18, 12:08 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
Aye, there's the rub....

The "hub stands on its spokes" thing is a headline which he immediately qualifies. It's also kind of metaphorical, but his explanation is lacking, IMO.
A compression-spoke wheel does actually stand on its lower spoke. You could remove the rim, and the spoke itself would statically support the load. This of course would not happen in a tension-spoke wheel. But it functionally "stands on its spokes" or supports the load because of the stability of the entire tensioned structure.

This is an example of how sometimes I think his desire to debunk things got in the way of a clear explanation. A tension-spoke wheel doesn't "stand" on its lower spokes any more than it "hangs" from its upper spokes. But he got hung up (pun intended) on explaining it in a way that had to contradict the "hanging" explanation.
He was also trying to write a book for people without a ME degree, so the explanations had to be more metaphorical, I suppose. It can be easy to lose sight of the fact that metaphors are sort of definitionally not physical descriptions, too.
He said that in a conventional tensioned spoke bicycle wheel the hub stands on the lower spokes. Then he shucked and jived claiming that reduced tension is compression which absurdly defies structural engineering. He never came off the "hub stands on the lower spokes" error or any of his other mistakes. His propensity to turn small mis-statements into enduring large errors out-lived him.
Old 05-23-18, 10:43 AM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
He said that in a conventional tensioned spoke bicycle wheel the hub stands on the lower spokes. Then he shucked and jived claiming that reduced tension is compression which absurdly defies structural engineering. He never came off the "hub stands on the lower spokes" error or any of his other mistakes. His propensity to turn small mis-statements into enduring large errors out-lived him.
I know what he said, I have the book sitting right next to me. And I agree that he could hardly admit to be wrong. That's indeed the unfortunate part of his legacy. We're not bound by that though.

I'm not defending the "standing on its spokes" claim. It didn't sit right with me when I first read it 25 years ago, and it still doesn't. I am trying to contextualize it as first as a too-single-minded attempt to refute the "hanging" theory, and second, as a functional metaphor in what is basically a non-engineering text. Metaphors are inherently inaccurate, so is a bad one an "error," or just a bad metaphor?

In case you're wondering why I would bother to try to contextualize it, it's because continuing to bust Jobst's chops for getting something "wrong" is just playing the same game he did and trying to beat him at it. Not really a fair fight at this point, since he's no longer around to answer for himself. I not interested in that game. I'm interested in the wheel. I'd be very interested in your explanation of what's happening in the wheel, if you'd care to give one. Doesn't have to be yours originally.
Old 05-23-18, 11:56 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
I know what he said, I have the book sitting right next to me. And I agree that he could hardly admit to be wrong. That's indeed the unfortunate part of his legacy. We're not bound by that though.

I'm not defending the "standing on its spokes" claim. It didn't sit right with me when I first read it 25 years ago, and it still doesn't. I am trying to contextualize it as first as a too-single-minded attempt to refute the "hanging" theory, and second, as a functional metaphor in what is basically a non-engineering text. Metaphors are inherently inaccurate, so is a bad one an "error," or just a bad metaphor?

In case you're wondering why I would bother to try to contextualize it, it's because continuing to bust Jobst's chops for getting something "wrong" is just playing the same game he did and trying to beat him at it. Not really a fair fight at this point, since he's no longer around to answer for himself. I not interested in that game. I'm interested in the wheel. I'd be very interested in your explanation of what's happening in the wheel, if you'd care to give one. Doesn't have to be yours originally.
I agree with your take on this. My reaction after reading that section was similar - Brandt was making a point by illustrating how even the reductio ad absurdum could be shown to be true. But very few people understand the point he was making about how the hub was no more hanging as it was standing on the spokes. Sometimes the things he wrote were for people who's minds were working at a similar level, and not as an intro to physics for those who are looking to be spoon fed the literal truth.
Old 05-23-18, 03:20 PM
AnkleWork

Jobst reincarnated continuing the shuck and jive? His explicit errors endure.
Old 05-23-18, 03:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Are you "jim beam" reincarnated? All name-calling, no superior explanations.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-23-18, 03:24 PM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by Kontact
I agree with your take on this. My reaction after reading that section was similar - Brandt was making a point by illustrating how even the reductio ad absurdum could be shown to be true. But very few people understand the point he was making about how the hub was no more hanging as it was standing on the spokes. Sometimes the things he wrote were for people who's minds were working at a similar level, and not as an intro to physics for those who are looking to be spoon fed the literal truth.
And the spin continues. A simple free body diagram of the hub reveals everything -- that the hub hangs from the upper spokes. That's why joBSt never produced one.
Old 05-23-18, 03:28 PM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Are you "jim beam" reincarnated? All name-calling, no superior explanations.
You don't accept the superior explanations which have been presented repeatedly. Where's the name calling? Please quote (your post excluded).
Old 05-23-18, 03:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
You don't accept the superior explanations which have been presented repeatedly. Where's the name calling? Please quote (your post excluded).
Is that first sentence supposed to be a question? If you can get over being triggered by Jobst's use of language, spoke tension measurements of loaded wheels generally back up his explanation. A model is only good to the extent that it accurately reflects reality...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-23-18, 03:38 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What is this, the "Argument Clinic"? It's funny when Monty Python does it, but that's because it's SATIRE.

I said the hub neither hangs from nor stands on its spokes. If you can't bother to actually read or respond to what I've written, I'm not going to waste my time. So with all due respect, I'm done with you on this topic unless you provide a "superior explanation." That doesn't mean simply asserting an opposite view. That is not providing anything but your belief. Explain it. Then we can talk.
Old 05-23-18, 03:41 PM
Kontact

And the spin continues. A simple free body diagram of the hub reveals everything -- that the hub hangs from the upper spokes. That's why joBSt never produced one.
Like this one? Why aren't the highest tensions on the top spokes?

It isn't "spin". Brandt was making a point about how a pre-tensioned structure, like a wheel or pre-stressed concrete bridge, actually works. He does not say "the hub stands on its spokes", he said "the wheel stands on its spokes." And maybe that's why people get so confused about the point he is making about how the change in tension from weight never makes the hub dangle because all the spokes maintain positive tension, which means hub never has the opportunity to hang from anything. When the wheel is weighted, the structure acts identically to a solid wheel - it compresses on the bottom. And that has practical considerations when it comes to wheel design that the "hangin' from the spokes" perspective does not.

If you want to read the actual text, go to page 47:
https://caravan.hobby.ru/materiel/Bic...bst_Brandt.pdf
Old 05-23-18, 03:46 PM
AnkleWork

Like this one? Why aren't the highest tensions on the top spokes?

It isn't "spin". Brandt was making a point about how a pretensioned structure, like a wheel or pre-stressed concrete, actually works. He does not say "the hub stands on its spokes", he said "the wheel stands on its spokes." And maybe that's why people get so confused about the point he is making about how the change in tension from weight never makes the hub dangle because all the spokes maintain positive tension, which means hub never has the opportunity to hang from anything. When the wheel is weighted, the structure acts identically to a solid wheel - it compresses on the bottom. And that has practical considerations when it comes to wheel design that the "hangin' from the spokes" perspective does not.
Because it is a tension stayed structure. The tension in the red spokes net-out. The load on the hub is transmitted to the rim via the top spokes. There's a good reason you don't want to see a FBD of the hub.

Also, there must be a reason you use the extreme case of a wheel with four completely slack spokes rather than a proper wheel.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 05-23-18 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 03:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Jeez, man, give it a rest. You don't like the terms he used, but I think he knew where the forces were.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-23-18, 04:04 PM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by noglider
Jeez, man, give it a rest. You don't like the terms he used, but I think he knew where the forces were.
If you would study engineering a little, you would find that distorting the correct language destroys meaning. Try designing reinforced concrete structures without a firm grasp of the concepts of tension and compression. Also, there's little room for arrogance in engineering. Maybe that's why Jobst was relegated to over-analyzing what most of the industry considers a child's toy.
Old 05-23-18, 04:16 PM
Kontact

Because it is a tension stayed structure. The tension in the red spokes net-out. The load on the hub is transmitted to the rim via the top spokes. There's a good reason you don't want to see a FBD of the hub.

Also, there must be a reason you use the extreme case of a wheel with four completely slack spokes rather than a proper wheel.
That particular diagram (which I did not create) shows a load that is crushing the wheel. The interesting thing is how the highest spoke loads aren't directly above the hub.

I think you're getting too wound up in the semantics to appreciate the fact that the change in load on a bicycle wheel is, in fact, seen as compression on the bottom of the structure, rather than an increase in top spoke tension.
Old 05-23-18, 04:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

The man is dead, and he's still making you angry? Hey, you got your revenge. What more do you want?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-23-18, 04:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

And you don't know what I've studied, do you?

Old 05-23-18, 09:26 PM
AnkleWork

That particular diagram (which I did not create) shows a load that is crushing the wheel. The interesting thing is how the highest spoke loads aren't directly above the hub.

I think you're getting too wound up in the semantics to appreciate the fact that the change in load on a bicycle wheel is, in fact, seen as compression on the bottom of the structure, rather than an increase in top spoke tension.
Is it "semantics" to misrepresent simple truths? The compression is only in the rim. The values listed in your diagram all show tension in the spokes.
Old 05-23-18, 09:34 PM
AnkleWork

And you don't know what I've studied, do you?
Haw! At least I know what you have not studied.

The man is dead, and he's still making you angry? Hey, you got your revenge. What more do you want?
That's your filter, so you should own it rather than projecting it onto others. Funny how direct factual statements are frequently perceived as anger. And, what revenge, exactly? (Not a rhetorical question.)

Jobst's public errors live on and on as long as people repeat them. Truth always has to be rediscovered and reborn (and argued against).

Last edited by AnkleWork; 05-23-18 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 09:35 PM
Kontact

The compression is only in the rim. The values listed in your diagram all show tension in the spokes.
And? The compression in the rims causes the spoke tension to change. Tire pressure causes the spoke tension to change.

Are you under the impression that spoke tensions remain static as the wheel rolls?
Old 05-23-18, 09:55 PM
AnkleWork

What is this, the "Argument Clinic"? It's funny when Monty Python does it, but that's because it's SATIRE.

I said the hub neither hangs from nor stands on its spokes. If you can't bother to actually read or respond to what I've written, I'm not going to waste my time. So with all due respect, I'm done with you on this topic unless you provide a "superior explanation." That doesn't mean simply asserting an opposite view. That is not providing anything but your belief. Explain it. Then we can talk.
Your attempted explanations don't address Jobst's falsehoods and I'm not inclined to school you. There are specific rebuttals to Jobst, as well as generalized analyses for tension stayed structures, both based on correct engineering principles available online and elsewhere if you care to look at them.
Old 05-23-18, 10:02 PM
Kontact

Your attempted explanations don't address Jobst's falsehoods and I'm not inclined to school you. There are specific rebuttals to Jobst, as well as generalized analyses for tension stayed structures, both based on correct engineering principles available online and elsewhere if you care to look at them.
Allow me to provide a response just as illuminating as yours:

You're wrong.

Why post on a discussion forum if you aren't capable of politely discussing something?
Old 05-23-18, 10:05 PM
AnkleWork

And? The compression in the rims causes the spoke tension to change. Tire pressure causes the spoke tension to change.

Are you under the impression that spoke tensions remain static as the wheel rolls?
I have consistently rebutted Jobst's claims (often repeated by others) that the hub of a conventional bicycle wheel "stands on the spokes", and that reduced tension in the spokes is "compression." Not sure why you continue to introduce other, irrelevant claims (e.g. that spoke tension does not change as the wheel rolls) as they do not support your argument, but hey, it's your time and effort.
Old 05-23-18, 10:06 PM
AnkleWork

Allow me to provide a response just as illuminating as yours:

You're wrong.

Why post on a discussion forum if you aren't capable of politely discussing something?
(Shhh. I can hear your feet stomping.)
Care to point out my impoliteness? It's just your filter. But I do apologize to all the true believers here for impugning your belief system.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 05-23-18 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 10:12 PM
Kontact

Care to point out my impoliteness? It's just your filter.
I suppose I could, but I'm not inclined to school you.
Old 05-23-18, 10:17 PM
Kontact

I have consistently rebutted Jobst's claims (often repeated by others) that the hub of a conventional bicycle wheel "stands on the spokes", and that reduced tension in the spokes is "compression." Not sure why you continue to introduce other, irrelevant claims (e.g. that spoke tension does not change as the wheel rolls) as they do not support your argument, but hey, it's your time and effort.
I have no idea what arguments you've made elsewhere. Should I?

I'm not making any claims as much as trying to decode your abstruse "explanations". Between the responses on this thread on PMs I've received, I don't think anyone has found your arguments reasonable.

I would suggest that if you actually want to promulgate your point of view, you're going to need to actually offer cogent, specific explanations and rebuttals without reference to unseen prior threads and without the vague put downs. All of that stuff just makes it sound like you are BSing rather than speaking from any sort of expertise or logic.

Last edited by Kontact; 05-23-18 at 10:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.