Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need Some Help Choosing A Bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Need Some Help Choosing A Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 05:51 PM
Herrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Need Some Help Choosing A Bike

I'm looking into getting a hybrid bike for exercise. I'm not sure what my long term goals are. Going on long rides (or very long rides) appeals to me or maybe riding with a group one day. So I'd like to get a bike now that would be good for those potential long term goals.

I don't know if a carbon bike would be absolutely necessary for that kind of riding. I've been looking at the Trek FX Sport 4 which is aluminum & the FX Sport 5 which is carbon. I've also been looking at the Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon & Elite Alloy. So do you fine people here think I would need a carbon frame bike or should I not worry about that as I'm not looking to break any speed records? If I were to ride with a bike club or something (one day maybe) would I be able to keep up with an aluminium frame bike? Going by the listed weight on Trek's site, the FX Sport 5 doesn't seem to way that much less than the FX Sport 4.

Also, I don't know much about bike gears & brakes so how do the Sirrus bikes stack up to the Treks? That Trek FX Sport 5 is the most expensive out of the ones I'm looking into but I'd like to spend less....so I'm leaning towards the Elite Carbon or the Elite Alloy. I have a couple bike shops not too far from me so I do plan on going there and checking the bikes in person but I'd like to hear what the members here have to say.
Old 06-10-18, 06:33 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
The FX and the Sirrus are both equally great bike lines.

I wouldn't worry about frame material - if you want to go on group rides, you'll need a proper drop bar road bike. But in the meantime, buy a nice hybrid and enjoy!

Since the FX and Sirrus are so similar, pick based on the bike shop and paint scheme on the bike. Here the Trek dealer sucks and the Specialized dealer is great.
Old 06-10-18, 07:08 PM
Herrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
The FX and the Sirrus are both equally great bike lines.

I wouldn't worry about frame material - if you want to go on group rides, you'll need a proper drop bar road bike. But in the meantime, buy a nice hybrid and enjoy!

Since the FX and Sirrus are so similar, pick based on the bike shop and paint scheme on the bike. Here the Trek dealer sucks and the Specialized dealer is great.
Thanks a lot for the help

Why would I need a road bike for group rides?
Old 06-10-18, 07:42 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Herrick
Thanks a lot for the help

Why would I need a road bike for group rides?
You'll need the aero/weight advantages of a drop bar road bike to keep up.
Old 06-10-18, 07:47 PM
Herrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by puma1552

You'll need the aero/weight advantages of a drop bar road bike to keep up.
Yikes! So much for the claims on Trek's site about the FX Sport 6 being able to keep up Oh well.
Old 06-11-18, 07:49 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
There are casual group rides or even Sojourns that don't require drop bars. If you are looking at fast and long riding, then yea, you may want drop bars. But if you are looking at casual riding, then hybrids are fine.
I've been on several group rides in the DC area and plenty of riders on hybrids, mountain bikes and road bikes. These are no drop rides.

Neither frame material is faster than the other. The major difference in material is strength and comfort. Try riding both to get a feel for what they are like.
Old 06-11-18, 03:35 PM
desmodue

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ask yourself why are you buying a hybrid instead of a drop bar bike?
For me it was because I'm not as flexible or conditioned as I was years ago. a hybrid works for me a drop bar bike would sit unused.

I'm still new to my reintroduction to biking, but I can see a light in the tunnel. Step one will be to invert the stem on my flat bar as the pounds (belly inches) drop, +6° to -6° will be the halfway point to a drop bar bike. If I can justify buying a drop bar bike in a year or two, I'll add one if not, keep spinning pedals.

I bought a carbon framed Sirrus because I wanted one, but truthfully...it doesn't matter buy an aluminum framed FX or Sirrus and ride it. In fact there are several reasons why an aluminum frame is better, like beating the crap out of it on unpaved paths. A ding in an aluminum frame is just a chipped paint job, on carbon it can be the start of a frame failure. I helicopter taped my downtube as a precaution, because I ride on some sketchy surfaces at times. I like to keep my equipment in good condition, but I'm going to use it.

Last edited by desmodue; 06-11-18 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 07:21 PM
Herrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by desmodue
Ask yourself why are you buying a hybrid instead of a drop bar bike?
For me it was because I'm not as flexible or conditioned as I was years ago. a hybrid works for me a drop bar bike would sit unused.
When I used to ride my dad's bike, I would always hold on to the top of the handle bars instead of sides. This was over 20 years ago and it was an old bike. I'm sure road bikes are more comfortable these days but I'd rather have a bike with flat handle bars. I like the riding position better...and I like how they look.