Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What crankset is most appropriate for this bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 07:59 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

BB bracket is 68mm BSA. Please suggest something that is actually obtainable relatively easily. No exotica, or rarities.
Old 06-29-18, 08:03 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I'm more concerned about 3 big holes in the top tube.

As for crankset, so many choices. Partially depends on your gearing requirements.
Style ? Vintage ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-29-18, 08:06 PM
procrustes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something with a large chainring I assume. Looks like the front derailleur bracket may limit your range. I know you can get them at places like bikefriday that will fit many common cranksets... https://store.bikefriday.com/index.php?cPath=67
Old 06-29-18, 08:46 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 97 Posts
I am going to point to a Spécialités TA Carmina crank, with the smallest possible bolt circle for the spider. It is effectively a modern version of the TA Cyclotouriste crank.
Old 06-29-18, 08:54 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Anything silver.
Old 06-29-18, 08:59 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I'm more concerned about 3 big holes in the top tube.
-----

+ 1

air conditioning?

venturi effect?

​​​​​​​-----
Old 06-29-18, 09:01 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by Aubergine
I am going to point to a Spécialités TA Carmina crank, with the smallest possible bolt circle for the spider. It is effectively a modern version of the TA Cyclotouriste crank.
Oh, look, an actual answer, a relevant suggestion. Thanks. TA Carmine looks good, but they are nearly impossible to source where I am.

I've got a VO Grand Cru Drillium on hand, so unless something else pops up, I may go with that...

Old 06-29-18, 09:13 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Sun XCD with the single 3 lobe chainring. Or double, like this:

Or, hollow chromed steel BMX cranks. You'd need what BMX people call a "euro" bottom bracket, which is the same as BSC.

And some sort of crazy BMX "sprocket" (chainring). There's an immense variety.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 06-29-18 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 09:24 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Sun XCD with the single 3 lobe chainring. Or double, like this:

Or, hollow chromed steel BMX cranks. You'd need what BMX people call a "euro" bottom bracket, which is the same as BSC.

And some sort of crazy BMX "sprocket" (chainring). There's an immense variety.
Very nice.
Old 06-29-18, 10:18 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Something, anything, as long as it has a 100 tooth chain ring - something almost as large in diameter as the wheels.

Those holes in the top tube are BAD news for the structure. I don't think there is a worse place for them.
Old 06-29-18, 11:43 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Obviously, the geometry is different from a full-sized bike; @Abu Mahindra, I'm curious how high the center of the bottom bracket is above the ground, as the bike currently sits? On my bikes it seems to range between 26-28cm mostly. If yours is a lot lower than that, I would look for any crank with short arms, 165mm or less. The idea being with the shorter the crank arm, the less likely you'll be to to have a pedal strike while pedaling around a corner. That Grand Cru crank you have looks pretty sweet.

And yeah, that top tube is deeply into WTF territory.

Seriously, WTF?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 06-29-18 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-30-18, 01:34 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Obviously, the geometry is different from a full-sized bike; @Abu Mahindra, I'm curious how high the center of the bottom bracket is above the ground, as the bike currently sits? On my bikes it seems to range between 26-28cm mostly. If yours is a lot lower than that, I would look for any crank with short arms, 165mm or less. The idea being with the shorter the crank arm, the less likely you'll be to to have a pedal strike while pedaling around a corner. That Grand Cru crank you have looks pretty sweet.

And yeah, that top tube is deeply into WTF territory.

Seriously, WTF?
The BB height with 37-451 tires is 28cm. Don't worry, I am fairly confident I have more experience building and riding small wheel bikes and minivelos than anyone on this channel.

Cheers...
Old 06-30-18, 01:38 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
The BB height with 37-451 tires is 28cm. Don't worry, I am fairly confident I have more experience building and riding small wheel bikes and minivelos than anyone on this channel.

Cheers...

Well, you certainly have more experience than me.

With that kind of normal BB clearance, I guess whatever crank your legs like is the best to use.

From your unedited original response, by "burly steel rings" do you mean the holes are reinforced by a steel insert; sort of like how spoke holes on alloy rims are reinforced by an eyelet? I am intrigued. More details on this frame, please, I've seen a few threads on mini velos, but I've never seen anything quite like this.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 06-30-18 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 01:56 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Well, you certainly have more experience than me.

From your unedited original response, by "burly steel rings" do you mean the holes are reinforced by a steel insert; sort of like how spoke holes on alloy rims are reinforced by an eyelet? I am intrigued. More details on this frame, please, I've seen a few threads on mini veils, butI never seen anything quite like this.
Yes, there are rings in the holes, and on tapping in the area around the holes on hears a much lower thud and little resonance than in the middle of the top tube.

The bike is a Bannard Super Racing frameset. Bannard is a now defunct Taiwanese company that won a handful of design awards in Asia during its brief life. I managed to get my hands on three of their minivelos before they expired.

Super Racing
​​​​

Sunny

​​​
Tension-R
​​​​​
Old 06-30-18, 03:43 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
I would love a mini velo.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-30-18, 04:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to Bicycle Mechanics.
Old 06-30-18, 04:50 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Do it. They are lots of fun. Due to the smaller wheels , they are highly maneuverable and agile, and accelerate like a rocket. And you'll be riding something unique.
Old 06-30-18, 04:57 AM
Abu Mahendra

fyi...

the OP question was with regards to aesthetics, not mechanical compatibility.
Old 06-30-18, 07:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

Cheers...
I don't think anyone here is trying to challenge your experience, knowledge, opinions, or statements. Nor will we, I hope. We are using our experience to try to assist you with your question.

Big holes in the frame are unusual in most of our experiences. I believe they can be engineered well. If you're saying they are a characteristic of a frame design that is successful in the field, fine with me.

Crankset recommendations need a few considerations in a frame where there is little familiarity. Engineering-wise, there are three basic considerations:

1. Are there any new constraints on the crankarm length? Since you said the BB height (I understand BB center height) is 28 cm, that 's fine, no major concern.
2. What is the upper limit on the chainring size?

For the same top gear, a small-wheel frame needs a big chainring. If the chainring is to be a double, you need a derailleur and your frame has a braze-on to install the front derailleur. The height from the BB center to the bottom of the slot in the front mech braze on is (my measurement on a steel road bike, filter it accordingly) is 143 mm, which accommodates up to a 54 tooth big ring with the required 2 mm spacing between chainring and derailleur cage. For a commensurate small wheel/large chainring, It should scale up to perhaps 28 cm, to get road bike gearing.

I'm assuming your road wheels have a diameter ⅔ of a 700c, or 18 inches (no idea if this matches your frame, just a guess). The large chainring would be not in the neighborhood of 52 teeth, but 78 teeth. Your front braze on would have to be more like 210 millimeters up from BB center.

So if you are using derailleur gearing as is my initial assumption, you would need the braze-on located about 210 millimeters up from the BB center. The crank therefore needs to supply a big enough chainring.

I can't say this is all applicable, but as an engineer this is step one to understanding the question you've asked.

Unless your question is really, black or silver? For that I say "silver," since I always do.
Old 06-30-18, 08:01 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I saw a Tern that was awfully nice!
Old 06-30-18, 08:02 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I don't think anyone here is trying to challenge your experience, knowledge, opinions, or statements. Nor will we, I hope. We are using our experience to try to assist you with your question.

Big holes in the frame are unusual in most of our experiences. I believe they can be engineered well. If you're saying they are a characteristic of a frame design that is successful in the field, fine with me.

Crankset recommendations need a few considerations in a frame where there is little familiarity. Engineering-wise, there are three basic considerations:

1. Are there any new constraints on the crankarm length? Since you said the BB height (I understand BB center height) is 28 cm, that 's fine, no major concern.
2. What is the upper limit on the chainring size?

For the same top gear, a small-wheel frame needs a big chainring. If the chainring is to be a double, you need a derailleur and your frame has a braze-on to install the front derailleur. The height from the BB center to the bottom of the slot in the front mech braze on is (my measurement on a steel road bike, filter it accordingly) is 143 mm, which accommodates up to a 54 tooth big ring with the required 2 mm spacing between chainring and derailleur cage. For a commensurate small wheel/large chainring, It should scale up to perhaps 28 cm, to get road bike gearing.

I'm assuming your road wheels have a diameter ⅔ of a 700c, or 18 inches (no idea if this matches your frame, just a guess). The large chainring would be not in the neighborhood of 52 teeth, but 78 teeth. Your front braze on would have to be more like 210 millimeters up from BB center.

So if you are using derailleur gearing as is my initial assumption, you would need the braze-on located about 210 millimeters up from the BB center. The crank therefore needs to supply a big enough chainring.

I can't say this is all applicable, but as an engineer this is step one to understanding the question you've asked.

Unless your question is really, black or silver? For that I say "silver," since I always do.
I clarified in post #18 that the thread, posted originally on the Vintage & Classic channel, was about aesthetics, not mechanical limitations, compatibility or gearing.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-30-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 08:32 AM
Road Fan

I clarified in post #1 8 that the thread, posted originally on the Vintage & Classic channel, was about aesthetics, not mechanical limitations, compatibility or gearing.
I take your point, but I think you should have made such a basic clarification in post #1 . Given that you didn't and I responded without reading the whole thread, I think my response was reasonable.

If it wasn't about mechanics, why did you allow the moderator to move it to Mechanics?
Old 06-30-18, 08:40 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I take your point, but I think you should have made such a basic clarification in post #1 . Given that you didn't and I responded without reading the whole thread, I think my response was reasonable.

If it wasn't about mechanics, why did you allow the moderator to move it to Mechanics?
Allow the moderator? i was not consulted. the moderator took it upon him/herself to move it without checking with me first.
Old 06-30-18, 08:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Money no issue?

Compass Cycles Rene Herse classic Reproductions https://www.compasscycle.com/product...onents/cranks/

but no 60t chainrings
Old 06-30-18, 05:26 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Money no issue?

Compass Cycles Rene Herse classic Reproductions https://www.compasscycle.com/product...onents/cranks/

but no 60t chainrings
Very nice too, but more that i wanna spend...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.