Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually know how to remove the freehub from a Vision Team 30 rear wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Does anyone actually know how to remove the freehub from a Vision Team 30 rear wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 09:51 AM
bungle73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I think mine needs servicing, and I've been trying to get it off for a few weeks, and I cannot work out how to do it, and I think I may have damaged the axle trying. There is basically no information out there about how to do it,. The only stuff I can find seems to relate to a different, earlier, design. I've had to resort to booking an appointment at Halfords to get it fixed, since the only independent bike shop nearby doesn't actually fix wheels themselves (despite their website trumpeting about how great they are and about how many spares they have access to). The only thing I've managed to do is remove the bolt from the non-drive side, but that wasn't much help.
Old 07-28-18, 10:08 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I don't think I have one of those hubs. But, how much have you done?

Have you removed the axle?

It looks to me as if it is probably a typical sealed bearing rear hub. Remove the endcaps on the axle using an Allen Wrench (or two). Then the whole thing should just slide apart.
Old 07-28-18, 10:21 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As I say, all I've manged to do is get the non-drive side cap off, and that didn't do anything. I can't get the drive side one off.

Edit; It's doing that that I've damaged the axel. I've stripped the flats in the hole in end trying to use an allen key on it.
Old 07-28-18, 10:37 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Any use?
Old 07-28-18, 10:46 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimc101
Thanks, but I've already seen it, but it refers to the previous design of freehub. The reference to "two 5 mm allen keys" doesn't apply to mine. An allen key only fits in one end, which, as I say, I've manged to strip. And the cap I got off came off with a cone spanner.

Apparently they changed the design from the 2017 model (I bought mine in 2016 so I'm guessing that is what I have). The previous version used a sealed unit freehub, that doesn't look like it can be serviced. Where as the one I have (from what I've gathered) has a more standard style of freehub where the pawls are exposed. At least that's what it looks like from what I've seen, because, of course, I haven't been able to get mine apart
Old 07-28-18, 10:55 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
On some axles, one one endcap easily comes off. Others have a second set of flats for the allen wrench to engage in the middle of the axle.

Stripping or bending stuff is never good.

Have you tried gently driving the axle out... gently...

Hmmm... here are some instructions for a similar hub.
https://www.tehava.com/Perfion/File....5-0f3c36cae1a7

1.Unscrew the fixing nut by turning it CLOCKWISE with a 17 mm wrench while holding the axle steady with by a 5 mm Allen key.
I don't think I've encountered left hand threads on a hub. They really don't make a lot of sense...

But, could that be a reason why you've been having issues?
Old 07-28-18, 01:32 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
It is a Joytech hub. I can't find a service manual on it.
Old 07-28-18, 01:43 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
That's what I like best about Shimano. I know how to take them apart and I know I can get replacement parts to fix them. I've never found a free hub that I couldn't get apart, but I sometimes I haven't been able to find the parts I needed to fix them.

What size rim?
Old 07-28-18, 03:43 PM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
On some axles, one one endcap easily comes off. Others have a second set of flats for the allen wrench to engage in the middle of the axle.

Stripping or bending stuff is never good.

Have you tried gently driving the axle out... gently...

Hmmm... here are some instructions for a similar hub.
https://www.tehava.com/Perfion/File....5-0f3c36cae1a7

I don't think I've encountered left hand threads on a hub. They really don't make a lot of sense...

But, could that be a reason why you've been having issues?
That's what I tried at first (based on a GCN video), and it's how I ended up stripping the axle. I've even tried having a second go at undoing it by bracing it using the cap on the other end and another cone spanner and it still won't budge.

Originally Posted by davidad
It is a Joytech hub. I can't find a service manual on it.
Don't Vision make their own hubs then?

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's what I like best about Shimano. I know how to take them apart and I know I can get replacement parts to fix them. I've never found a free hub that I couldn't get apart, but I sometimes I haven't been able to find the parts I needed to fix them.
The best seem to be Zipp from what I've seen (again in the GCN video) - you take the wheel out, remove the cassette and the freehub comes just comes off. Why they can't all be made like that I have absolutely no idea.

What size rim?
24 mm. Is that relevant?
Old 07-28-18, 03:46 PM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think I'm best off leaving Halfords to sort it out. Maybe I can ask them how to do it so I'll know next time. It's annoying because I usually do all my own maintenance. The only other time I got something done in a shop (which has since closed down) was to get a wheel trued.
Old 07-29-18, 04:49 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just sent off three emails asking for help: one to Vision, one to the place that my LBS sends their wheel work to, and one to the company I bought the bike from (although technically it's a different company). Once I actually get it off it should be an easy job, that's another reason why I was loathe to take it somewhere to be done.
Old 07-30-18, 07:58 AM
davidad

A company like Vision doesn't make hubs because of the cost.
Old 07-30-18, 08:31 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've got one reply so far, from the place in West Mailing. It boils down to he doesn't know how to do it basically.

Originally Posted by davidad
A company like Vision doesn't make hubs because of the cost.
They're a subsidiary of FSA though, and I'm sure they aren't short of a bob or two.
Old 07-30-18, 12:12 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by bungle73
I've got one reply so far, from the place in West Mailing. It boils down to he doesn't know how to do it basically.

They're a subsidiary of FSA though, and I'm sure they aren't short of a bob or two.
They are a separate company and make hubs for anyone with the money.
Old 07-31-18, 05:27 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The reply to my email to Vision came from FSA so they are obviously the same people. It said "Thanks for your e-mail, please send me a photo of the hub showing the U code as attached and one of the free hub so I can check the model for you and best advice?"

WTF is the "U code" , and how do I find it?

Edit: Never mind. He sent me a pic.

Last edited by bungle73; 07-31-18 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 09:28 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Some bloke from FSA
Thanks for the photos, this free hub can be removed once the drive side cone nut has been removed with a 17mm cone spanner and 5mm hex wrench in the axle end
Which way though? It doesn't seem to want to go clockwise, as shown in their YT video....
Old 07-31-18, 10:46 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Something's not right here. It just won't undo the way they tell you to undo it in their video. That's how I was trying to do it in the first place and ended up stripping the axle! This pisses me off because it's supposed to be something simple to do, but now I've got to pay money for someone else to do it for me.
Old 07-31-18, 08:34 PM
d4vide

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bungle73
I think mine needs servicing, and I've been trying to get it off for a few weeks, and I cannot work out how to do it, and I think I may have damaged the axle trying. There is basically no information out there about how to do it,. The only stuff I can find seems to relate to a different, earlier, design. I've had to resort to booking an appointment at Halfords to get it fixed, since the only independent bike shop nearby doesn't actually fix wheels themselves (despite their website trumpeting about how great they are and about how many spares they have access to). The only thing I've managed to do is remove the bolt from the non-drive side, but that wasn't much help.
I did one not too long ago, and yes.. there is no info out there. The only thing that helped was an exploded diagram of the assembly. If yours is the same model i worked on, after removing the non-drive side ‘cap’, i applied heat to the drve side cap and it then screwed off (right-hand thread). I got stuck as after first removing the non-drive side the axle appears to be one piece.. but it isn’t.. and the drive side is extremely tight, and waaaay over-engineered. anyhoo.. i hope it helps
Old 08-01-18, 11:48 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
FSA guy says it's supposed to be undone anticlockwise! So why don't they tell people that then instead of telling everyone to undo all their wheels clockwise?? /facepalm
Old 08-01-18, 11:49 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by d4vide

I did one not too long ago, and yes.. there is no info out there. The only thing that helped was an exploded diagram of the assembly. If yours is the same model i worked on, after removing the non-drive side ‘cap’, i applied heat to the drve side cap and it then screwed off (right-hand thread). I got stuck as after first removing the non-drive side the axle appears to be one piece.. but it isn’t.. and the drive side is extremely tight, and waaaay over-engineered. anyhoo.. i hope it helps
Apparently, you're supposed to do it the way I was doing it, ie a allen key in the end the axle and then a spanner to turn the lock nut, only you have to do it the opposite way from that shown in their video! /facepalm.
Old 08-02-18, 10:09 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Halford's mechanic says there's nothing he can do, short of replacing the hub, and that it's safe to ride. What do you think?
Old 08-03-18, 12:20 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
If you dont post high rez pics with good lighting we will not be able to help you.
Old 08-03-18, 01:00 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carlos danger
If you dont post high rez pics with good lighting we will not be able to help you.
OK........ What? High res pics of what?
Old 08-03-18, 01:03 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think he was talking nonsense. Why would you need to replace the whole hub for a freehub problem?
Old 08-03-18, 01:03 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
the hub from both sides, at an angle. like the first pic in this thread.

no one in this thread is a mind reader so we have no idea how your hub looks like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.