Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Someone School Me on Bleeding Hydraulic Brakes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-03-18, 05:50 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts

I'm about to do this for my mtb. Brakes are Avid Elixir 5. Have watched some videos on YouTube and have read up a bit on it but I'd also like to hear from first hand experience. I have the bleed kit on order. New pads going in too. Tips and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks much!
Old 08-03-18, 07:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
wait till the bleed kit with the manual arrives?
Old 08-03-18, 07:04 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
wait till the bleed kit with the manual arrives?
Download the manual and read up ahead of time?
Old 08-03-18, 07:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's really, really easy... provided your kit has 2 syringes. Like... a 5 minute job.
Old 08-03-18, 09:25 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Do not install the pads until you've bled the brakes. Use the orange spacer if it's Shimano.
Old 08-03-18, 11:37 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Beware that the design of Elixirs is both very sensitive to good bleeding and very prone to failed seals in the master cylinder. If your brake feels like there's too much fluid in it and the pads run too close to the rotor, and/or you hear a squishing sound in the master cylinder when you actuate the lever, don't bother rebuilding the levers: throw those crappy Elixirs into the trash where the belong and buy pretty much literally anything else (but realistically entry level Shimano brakes). If you're concerned about the master cylinder seals being damaged, I recommend avoiding pulling a vacuum on the lever syringe even though it's part of the standard bleed instructions as it can pull air past the master cylinder seals and into the lever.

If the levers are actually in reasonably good condition, the bleed instructions are pretty easy and posted on Sram's site and also are included with the bleed kit. One thing in general is that it's good form to clean the pistons well before pressing them in.

Bleed proceedure is basically fill 1 syringe 1/2 full, another 1/4 full. Degass 1/2 full syringe by closing off the line either with the little line crimp or with your gloved finger and pull moderately until air bubbles form, and alternate with compressing it. Shake and hit it and generally get as much air out as you can but do not obsess over this step--you will never get to the point where you cannot form more bubbles. Pull brake pads, clean pistons, then push pistons in before installing bleed block. Attach 1/2 full syringe to caliper bleed port and 1/4 full syringe to lever bleed port. Push fluid up until caliper syringe is almost empty--you should see bubbles. Close lever bleed line by using the line crimp or by reinstalling the bleed port screw. Depress lever and hold it in place while alternating gently pulling on caliper syringe and gently pressing on it to try to get any air out. Hold lever as you push syringe and let lever out again. Create vacuum and pressure at lever syringe to remove bubbles. Be very gentle if (or seriously just push fluid up from caliper and call it a day) if you are suspicious of the conditions of the master cylinder. Clean the crap out of everything with isopropyl alcohol . Wash your hands real good at the end.