Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mixing Shimano 11speed cassettes with Campag Athena 11 Ergo shifters and derailleurs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mixing Shimano 11speed cassettes with Campag Athena 11 Ergo shifters and derailleurs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 08:56 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Can I run a Sram or Shimano 11speed cassettes with Campagnolo Athena 11 Ergo shifters and derailleurs?

https://www.velonews.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/drivetrain-compatibility-hidden-in-plain-sight_303199

I've been reading that the cog spacing is nearly identical. It would help me utilize a rear wheel with a contemporary Shimano 11 speed hub. Plus, those Campagnolo cassettes are $$$$.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-02-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 09:49 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Seems like you posted the answer to your question. The Campy cog spacing is not exactly the same, but most seem to think the shifting is OK with any 11 speed cassette.
Old 03-02-19, 10:00 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

I was hoping to hear from someone using this combination.
Old 03-02-19, 10:22 AM
KaiVentureBags

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, as long as you run a KMC chain. I have done it before. The only difference they have is the hub mounting.

I have a full camping record and I ran Shimano's cassettes just fine. My coworker has a full campy super record, running a Shimano's 11/40 XTR cassette with a goat link, so it does work.
Old 03-02-19, 10:45 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by KaiVentureBags
Yeah, as long as you run a KMC chain. I have done it before. The only difference they have is the hub mounting.

I have a full camping record and I ran Shimano's cassettes just fine. My coworker has a full campy super record, running a Shimano's 11/40 XTR cassette with a goat link, so it does work.
I was wondering which chain is best, Thanks'
Old 03-02-19, 11:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
"Best" is an opinion ... but generically 11s speed chain is now a width category..

Before buying a chain machine of their own, Campagnolo used to buy chains from Rohloff.. Whipperman is another German chain maker..

KMC would cost less and so may fit your budget better ... to replace them more often .. extending wear-life of cassette..
Old 03-03-19, 07:41 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I have found using the Campy RD tuning procedure no issues. Some might think them noisier, my hearing is not that good, but shifting is excellent.
Old 03-03-19, 10:38 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've read many threads from folks using Shimano or SRAM cassettes with a Campy 11 drivetrain, but never anyone mention needing a KMC chain. It would makes sense to match the chain brand with the cassette, but that too may be unimportant. I've used mostly Campy chains with my Campy drivetrain, but I do have a KMC on my winter bike and it seems to shift fine. Campy chains have unique wear properties. I use the proper method of measuring the chain in chain pitch - measuring the length increase between the pins and excluding the rollers. I've never been able to get .5% elongation without having a large amount of roller and side clearance wear first. Regardless of the brand, don't use any one chain on a cassette for too long, or you may get new-chain skip. Alternate the use of several chains to maximize chain and cassette life.
Old 03-03-19, 01:01 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by fietsbob
"Best" is an opinion ... but generically 11s speed chain is now a width category..
Best for my application, which is difficult to determine. Both the chainrings and the cogs have specific tooth profiles designed to improve performance. The chain also has design features and compatibility is a concern. KMC is a high quality manufacturer and I would imagine that the chain is design to be compatible with BOTH Shimano and Campagnolo. That would make it the best for the application.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-03-19 at 02:27 PM.