Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Shocker

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano Shocker

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 09:43 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
all my main riders are foot forward or semi recumbent. i usually just avoid biopace type rings since the pedal stroke gets a little off (and high performance isn't my main goal on my mostly casual bikes).

but i did read/hear once they can be good for foot forward if you rotate the chainring on the spider, i think like one mounting hole, but again, i just ride casually so i never experimented with it. getting older though, i wouldn't mind trying it again if i really knew what i was doing and/or would get some good out of it.
Old 03-06-19, 11:09 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This isn't something I made up.
Lots of competent engineers design things that don't work. I make a healthy living off of fixing problems with engineered solutions.
-Tim-
Not saying it is impossible, just saying that Shimano, a competent company specializing in bicycle components, isn't likely to have put something into production that "didn't work."

People may not have liked it, but that doesn't mean it "didn't work" or was somehow fundamentally flawed. If you didn't "make it up," then were is the evidence that the concept was flawed from an engineering standpoint?
Old 03-06-19, 01:14 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
I think this was "trailangel's" attempt at Humor. I am telling you I have a Biopace that has only one High Spot in it's Oval. That is what has been throwing me off. Everything makes perfect sense if there are two High Spots in the Oval. I can not believe " trailangel" is a Schwinn Varsity owner. They are always down to earth.
Old 03-06-19, 01:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Not saying it is impossible, just saying that Shimano, a competent company specializing in bicycle components, isn't likely to have put something into production that "didn't work."

People may not have liked it, but that doesn't mean it "didn't work" or was somehow fundamentally flawed. If you didn't "make it up," then were is the evidence that the concept was flawed from an engineering standpoint?
Rephrase it any way you want.

Most people who tried them were not fond of the way they worked and dissatisfied with the results.

Better?

-Tim-
Old 03-06-19, 07:42 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I used a Sugino Cycloid non-circular ring on a cannondale hybrid a long time ago as part of a single ring drivetrain. Worked ok but didn't make me faster. Never crossed my mind that maybe I should have whacked it with a hammer.
They can be used to make avatars, also.
Old 03-06-19, 10:28 PM
mjac

I have a Sneaky Feeling that if you rotated the Biopace Gear Ring 90 Degrees on the Crank Pads so the High End of the Oval is inline with the Cranks, you would have a Pretty Nice Gear Ring. Maybe even Competitive with Tim's Favorites, Absolute Black, Rotor QRing and Osymetric.

JanMM, you didn't Whack it with a Hammer? Missed Opportunity. You do not know how much fun you missed.
Old 03-07-19, 06:56 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I really don't see how you could declare it scientifically wrong if a bunch of competent engineers designed it, tested it and built it.
Ever try to change the rear spark plugs on a Monza? Designed by engineers.

I understand what you are saying though but oftentimes marketing overrules engineers.
Old 03-07-19, 07:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by mjac
I have a Sneaky Feeling that if you rotated the Biopace Gear Ring 90 Degrees on the Crank Pads so the High End of the Oval is inline with the Cranks, you would have a Pretty Nice Gear Ring. Maybe even Competitive with Tim's Favorites, Absolute Black, Rotor QRing and Osymetric.

I never said that anything was my favorite.

I simply mentioned a few modern brands. That's all.

-Tim-
Old 03-07-19, 08:39 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by bakerjw

I understand what you are saying though but oftentimes marketing overrules engineers.
Boy did you say a Mouth Full. Brad Pitt came down to New Orleans after Katrina with all of his "Architects, Business Managers and Construction Engineers" and they spent $500,000 to build a House for one Lady named Ms. Allen that had so many Structural Problems and Water and Moisture Invasion they had to buy it back from her and Demolish it. The Rest of his Houses in his little "Make it Right" Development are not far behind. A $50,000,000 Disaster.
Old 03-07-19, 08:47 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
In response o comments saying Shimano Biopace is the same as modern elliptical rings if you rotate them 90 degrees... if you can think of a way to mount a ring 90 degrees off on a 5 arm spider then you live in a world with different geometric rules than the rest of us.
Old 03-07-19, 09:26 AM
mjac

I never said that anything was my favorite.

I simply mentioned a few modern brands. That's all.

-Tim-
You said Absolute Black, Rotor QRing and Osymetric were Phased Correctly and thus Work. You also said Absolute Black is Highly Regarded. I took that to mean you favored them.
Old 03-07-19, 09:40 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
In response o comments saying Shimano Biopace is the same as modern elliptical rings if you rotate them 90 degrees... if you can think of a way to mount a ring 90 degrees off on a 5 arm spider then you live in a world with different geometric rules than the rest of us.
You are right. For some reason I thought the Varsity Schwinn had a Four Arm Spider. So it is 72 Degrees Rotation if you move the Chain Ring one arm. Might be even better. We might be on to something. Didn't mean to mess with your World.
Old 03-07-19, 10:17 AM
mjac

I welded it on.
Old 03-07-19, 11:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Boy did you say a Mouth Full. Brad Pitt came down to New Orleans after Katrina with all of his "Architects, Business Managers and Construction Engineers" and they spent $500,000 to build a House for one Lady named Ms. Allen that had so many Structural Problems and Water and Moisture Invasion they had to buy it back from her and Demolish it. The Rest of his Houses in his little "Make it Right" Development are not far behind. A $50,000,000 Disaster.
What's with all the randomly capitalized words? I've been seeing that a lot lately.

BTW, you've been here for more than 10 posts, let's see a picture of your chainring.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-07-19, 11:31 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Perhaps he meant 90 degrees plus or minus a fudge factor.

Anyway, if I had a bike with BioPace chainrings for casual or sport riding, I wouldn't be tempted to rotate or replace them.

After all, most people who cycle for transportation and pleasure---in other words, most of the cyclists in the world---pedal along at cadences below 80 rpm. Someone at Shimano clearly noticed this fact and asked their engineers to design a chainring that was more comfortable and efficient at such cadences. They did, and it is.

The problem was that Shimano didn't make clear to the bike manufacturers or to customers that the chainrings are meant to be used at low cadences. Anyone who was reading Bicycle Guide or Bicycling during the BioPace days read reviews praising the rings to the skies. At first. But once bike racers started buying bikes with BioPace rings, they started complaining about how it felt to pedal with then at high cadences, and the magazine reviews turned negative.

So if you pedal at higher cadences, it makes sense to use round rings or (presumably) Rotor rings and the equivalent. If you like pedaling at lower cadences, you might prefer BioPace.

The irony of the story is that Shimano has been damned for decades for BioPace's non-race-oriented design objective, while Rivendell is praised as a savior for doing essentially the same thing---pushing designs that benefit the casual cyclist and the beeswax-and-tweed-jodphurs crowd.
Old 03-07-19, 12:12 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What's with all the randomly capitalized words? I've been seeing that a lot lately.

BTW, you've been here for more than 10 posts, let's see a picture of your chainring.
The Capitalization is obviously for Emphasis to make a point without over using Parentheses. I write the way I want and I will give you the same freedom.

You have never seen a Biopace Chainring? I also Post the way I want.
Old 03-07-19, 12:32 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Trakhak

Anyway, if I had a bike with BioPace chainrings for casual or sport riding, I wouldn't be tempted to rotate or replace them.

After all, most people who cycle for transportation and pleasure---in other words, most of the cyclists in the world---pedal along at cadences below 80 rpm. Someone at Shimano clearly noticed this fact and asked their engineers to design a chainring that was more comfortable and efficient at such cadences. They did, and it is.

The problem was that Shimano didn't make clear to the bike manufacturers or to customers that the chainrings are meant to be used at low cadences. Anyone who was reading Bicycle Guide or Bicycling during the BioPace days read reviews praising the rings to the skies. At first. But once bike racers started buying bikes with BioPace rings, they started complaining about how it felt to pedal with then at high cadences, and the magazine reviews turned negative.

So if you pedal at higher cadences, it makes sense to use round rings or (presumably) Rotor rings and the equivalent. If you like pedaling at lower cadences, you might prefer BioPace.

The irony of the story is that Shimano has been damned for decades for BioPace's non-race-oriented design objective, while Rivendell is praised as a savior for doing essentially the same thing---pushing designs that benefit the casual cyclist and the beeswax-and-tweed-jodphurs crowd.
Finally an Explanation that makes sense. It answers all of the Questions. Does it Work? Does it not Work? Yes, for what it is Designed for. The Shop owner told me that Real Strong Elite Riders, High Cadence, Complained the Biopace interfered wth their Rythem. That is not what it was Designed for. Now, the Racing Assymetric Chain Rings that do work at High Cadence, are they also not good for Low Cadence? Same Comparison.

There go go those Randomly Capitalized Letters Again.
Old 03-07-19, 12:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

I have seen BioPace rings before (and own a few), just wanted to see what yours looked like after everyone banged on it with a hammer to try to make it straight again.

But, you do you...
RUSA #7498
Old 03-07-19, 01:23 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Rephrase it any way you want.
Most people who tried them were not fond of the way they worked and dissatisfied with the results.
Better?
That doesn't mean they were a fundamentally flawed design, from an engineering standpoint, as you suggested.

Read the post below. Just because high cadence riders didn't like them, doesn't mean they "didn't work." This has nothing to do with rephrasing.

Originally Posted by Bakerjw
There are quite a few examples like that (I've read that the engine on a Porsche Boxter is pretty much inaccessible), but that's more an issue of compromise. Things end up that way because of a different, overriding reason. That isn't the case with BioPace. They didn't decide to introduce a product that "didn't work" simply to get some marketing exposure.
Old 03-07-19, 01:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

I was wondering if the OP was a native German speaker, but the capitalization isn't limited to nouns.
Old 03-07-19, 01:33 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by caloso
I was wondering if the OP was a native German speaker, but the capitalization isn't limited to nouns.
That was my first thought as well.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-07-19, 03:13 PM
mjac

I have seen BioPace rings before (and own a few), just wanted to see what yours looked like after everyone banged on it with a hammer to try to make it straight again.

But, you do you...
Damn right I Banged on it. And had a lot of fun doing it. Didn't know what I was doing, but had a lot of fun and a good Laugh afterwards.
Old 03-07-19, 04:37 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Trakhak

Is it absolutely Established that the Biopace received Rave Reviews from Recreational Riders and still is useful for Recreational riders who ride at Low Cadence and only received Bad Reviews when Racers started using them? If so, then they have their Place and are useful and not a Total Engineering Failure that didn't work as Timothy has Professed.
Old 03-08-19, 11:50 AM
robertorolfo

Rode to work this morning in a gear (sometimes two) higher than usual, just to slow down my cadence and see if I could feel some of the BioPace science working for me.

It felt pretty good, but I have no basis for comparison because I've never tried something similar on any of my other bikes. I was trying to perceive the effect of the biopace on each pedal stroke, but I honestly didn't notice much. More testing to come.
Old 03-08-19, 12:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

You said Absolute Black, Rotor QRing and Osymetric were Phased Correctly and thus Work. You also said Absolute Black is Highly Regarded. I took that to mean you favored them.
Favored, yes. OK. I'm sorry for shooting from the hip. I have no direct experience with oval rings though.

One thing Absolute Black does is vary the ovality based on the size of the ring. This makes sense, at least on paper.

I'm going to be purchasing Absolute Black subcompact rings for my gravel bike over the next weeks/months and have written myself a note to post the results here. TBH, I'm doing it because they are bolt-on subcompact rings for Shimano cranks and not because they are oval.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-08-19 at 12:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.