Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Home built xtracycle...

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Home built xtracycle...

Old 07-02-08, 10:46 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by mackstann
Why don't more people run a 20" rear wheel? It would give a lower center of gravity and would give you more room, since there's less room being taken up by the wheel. Seems like a no-brainer.
Braking could be an issue if a 20 was put into a 24 or 25 inch frame and a smaller wheel under a higher load is not going to take bumps as well as a larger wheel and in many cases would be downright harsh.

My utility trailer has 26 inch wheels and takes bumps like they're almost not there... just like my longbike.
Old 07-03-08, 11:32 PM
Cody Broken

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I first saw a home built xtracycle on Instructables, long time ago. Just revisited that post and saw one built by a U.S. soldier in Iraq. Here are some photos:

Old 07-04-08, 07:57 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

badmother - Those bags have been sitting in my garage for a decade waiting for another motorcycle and are working really well on the longbike.

I plan on having some full length canvas bags a la xtracycle made up in the future.
Old 07-04-08, 08:42 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeKraft
It was actually on extended loan to me. I was starting to think it was mine! I got the bright idea to ask the rightful owner if he would like to sell it. Well that reminded him that I still had it. He came and picked it up the next day. All of a sudden he couldn't live without it. And I had polished it up and made such a nice spot for it in my little garage. But something good will come of this, but they are out of stock right now. Or maybe build my own. How about a folder made into an Xtracycle. My mind gets revved up thinking how cool and difficult that would be.
I know Clever Cycles sold out of their stock - did Citybikes sell out of theirs?
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-05-08, 07:52 AM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
I know Clever Cycles sold out of their stock - did Citybikes sell out of theirs?
A friend had searched the local shops and found only one shop that had one for sale. It was the 26" model. Not the right size for my bike (or hers). She purchased the kit and a new bicycle and had them assemble it. Just in time to ride in our neighborhood 4th of July parade with little Annie on the snap deck. I'm going to order one off the internet and wait for them to restock.
Old 07-05-08, 10:13 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

badmother - Have you thought of using an mtb or other bike with a sloping tt ?
Old 07-05-08, 11:11 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

A few more mods...

(image tags removed)

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-14-11 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-06-08, 03:37 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

My front shifter cable goes under the bb... the brace would have interfered with the cable save for the housing I ran from the cable guide up the seat tube to shield it. I considered drilling a cable guide to run through the brace as well.

My rear brake is a v brake and just has a longer cable running from the seat stay and through the framework to keep it out of the way... the rear shifter cable is routed the same way and I had to use a tandem cable for that.

A cross type LT would be a great idea for moderate loads as it would run out a little faster and could still handle a fair deal of weight.

I have 4 people interested in coming in to our bike shop to build their own long tail bikes and it's really a matter of finding the right donor parts, namely those low end FS bikes that we rarely put any time into.
Old 07-25-08, 10:23 AM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Thanks Allen...

The high pressure slicks make a world of difference as does the old Deore crank I installed today... I decided to run a single 28 tooth Biopace ring up front with the 11-32 cassette as that is all the gear range the bike or I need. The gear inches are 22 - 66 with the single and a few folks said it looked pretty cool... I still need to fabricate a bash guard although the chain ring clearance is now awesome.

I'm interested in the way you havbe used the derailleur on the original rear dropout to keep the chain tensioned.

Are you going to add side cargo decks like the FreeRadical, or keep it as a straight longtail with big panniers?
Old 07-25-08, 09:32 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I think my winter project will be to build up some cargo decks and perhaps have some slings stitched up... those over-sized paniers can already carry a lot of stuff.
Old 10-09-08, 02:40 PM
vanilla ice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to try this 29 front and a 16 inch rear tire..
Old 10-17-08, 03:41 PM
lilricky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can the BB of the donor be welded to the main bike? Or is it best to devise an attachment for it to be bolted on? I'm starting a project that will join a woman's 26" MTN bike to the seat post of an old Schwinn Varsity. My plan is to weld it in 3 spots, the top tube,the down tube and the BB.
Any obvious flaws to this idea?
Thanks
Old 10-25-08, 09:59 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'll let mine become part of this thread to, oh I forgot to mention something, today It was tested that this 5$ garmet bag for suits is waterproof, so if you wanna big saddle bag, go to your local thrift store and sniff one of those out, it's great, and it has secret pockets, anyway, for something as old as this, it's doing really fine, i wanna find some whitewalls for it,

Old 11-15-08, 12:13 PM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd be particulalry interested in photos of the joint areas of these bikes. I find looking at the photos its tough to tell the various techniques people may be using.
Old 11-16-08, 09:15 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Most the joints we use are the same, some weld, but the Bottom bracket of the Suspention bike triangle fits into where the rear wheel of the bike you attack to, then you take a straight pair of handle bars use that as a brace, from where suspention bike shock goes to front bike down where to kickstand would go, it's a very simple design.
Old 11-17-08, 10:19 AM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks HSean

I was pretty sure about the suspension triangle mount but couldn't see if most people put a bolt obliquely through at the chainstay/bb intersection or if there was another way to do it. As long as there's a reasonable firm butt joint, I don't imagine the bolt gets stressed too much.
Old 11-17-08, 05:24 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The bolt you speak of down there on the bars where the chainstray is, I do put them there, just to prevent the bike from lifting when I pick it up, I use a quick release pin, also so the bike is storable.
Old 01-12-09, 11:00 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Wow that wooden rack is gorgeous! Maybe if you were to slip some 1/4" or 3/8" dowels in between the cross pieces of the rack... Sorta like the old woody cars.
You're giving me ideas. I really like that wood rack!
Old 02-15-09, 02:55 PM
mplsmtb

Bikes: 80's Trek and a couple mtn bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a pic of my DIY Longtail. Next step is the framework for the storage containers.

More pics and info here.

Old 02-15-09, 05:22 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
mplsmtb
Excellent. There is lots of space for carrier stuff in the back. Post pics when you get it done.
Old 02-22-09, 12:40 PM
mplsmtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found some time to work on the storage containers... got one side nearly done. Once I get the other side complete, I'll take it out for a ride and gets some better pics.

More info and pics here.

Old 02-23-09, 03:31 AM
fenderbender
consilio et animis

Bikes: It's not 'bout the bike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great piece of engineering MPLSMTB! Appreciate your inspirational pics as I'm toying with the idea of a bolt-together build myself. But I'll probably fit some type of flatbed cargo rack on each side as it's more adaptable to different type of loads.
Old 03-06-09, 04:33 PM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The improved Xtracycle is finally together after mentally designing it for months. Sixty Fiver's idea of mounting two normal racks together and using a skateboard as a deck was the missing link in my design. Cool features are a PVC cover for the brace and the fact that it is a single speed. No hills in New Orleans to worry about!

Old 03-06-09, 06:39 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

RR - I guess I owed you for some inspiration... that looks great.
Old 03-25-09, 09:15 AM
mplsmtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly done...

I'm mostly done with my DIY longtail... the grocery getter. I think it turned out pretty well. Still some minor modifications (and maybe a rattlecan paintjob) left to go. Here are some pics.

More pics and info here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.