Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Towing a Bike With a Bike?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Towing a Bike With a Bike?

Old 07-20-10, 09:23 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts

Old 07-20-10, 05:08 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Is that a bike graveyard?
Old 07-20-10, 08:39 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by katcorot
Is that a bike graveyard?
It is Bikeworks... our community workshop.

We gets thousands of bikes donated during the year... the trailer loads of bikes were some of those donations.

Really nice bikes don't get stacked up and transported like this and most come in one at a time.
Old 06-29-18, 04:59 PM
Barrynof

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn Continental in burgundy, 1965 Schwinn Varsity Tourist in coppertone, 1967 Schwinn Varsity Tourist (ladies) in coppertone, 1984 Schwinn Tornado, 1987 Lotus Excelle in white

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LucianTheOne
This time I made it with 3 !!!

Lucian,
Can you tell me how you did this?
Old 06-30-18, 10:44 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Old thread but this is how I carry bikes. Trailer with extra long tow bar:

Old 07-04-18, 04:16 PM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
This is my setup. I've not towed anything for any long distances, but it works great when the kiddo tuckers out before we're done riding. It's not load bearing so you cant have a bike with a rider attached, but it holds the weight of my wife's Xtra just fine.

Old 07-05-18, 09:08 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cabledawg
This is my setup. I've not towed anything for any long distances, but it works great when the kiddo tuckers out before we're done riding. It's not load bearing so you cant have a bike with a rider attached, but it holds the weight of my wife's Xtra just fine.

i've been wondering about a setup like this as a for fun type idea. i made a 24" stretch cruiser that uses a 20" front wheel. i wanted to experiment with towing a bmx bike by taking off the front bmx wheel and using it on the cruiser, with the bmx bike in a mount like this. then when you get to the park, use the same front wheel on the bmx bike, with the cruiser locked up with no front wheel.

but i wondered about the same thing that was mentioned, if the bmx bike would stay in the mount with the rear wheel rolling and possibly moving up and down over bumps and road irregularities.
Old 07-06-18, 02:09 PM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I havent had any issues. Just dont crank it super tight and it'll float up/down with the terrain. Most of my bikes have a lip on the fork and that helps but my daughter's bike (70's stingray style) doesnt and it still works. Just keep in mind the width of the forks. Since most of ours are adult hybrids, they fit perfectly but my daughter's bike needs a little coaxing. I've recently discovered that companies like Yakima make an adapter to size down for smaller/narrower forks. But it you'll only ever use this with one bike, you could just cut to fit.
Old 07-12-18, 10:45 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
On the rare occasions I had to tow a bike with my bike, I just lowered the seat on the towed bike, flipped the towed bike over, secured the handlebars to my converted from kid to cargo trailer, and went where I needed to go.
Old 10-22-18, 05:01 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone tow a full sized bike with a Burley Travoy? I've used the flatbed to tow my folder (ala noglider above) obviously I could just try it ... but learning from other's (especially if it turns out to be a mistake) is a GoodThing ;>
Old 10-31-18, 06:37 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts

Bikes At Work trailer. Cargo bikes weren't a big thing back then. I like the trailer anyway. Don't want to have to deal with a cargo bike when not hauling a load. Or finding a place in the house to store it, or get it up my stairs.
Old 05-01-19, 10:45 AM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
I tow bikes regularly behind my "tow bike". The system is made from a 12" piece of 2x2 lashed to the top of my rack with a few old tubes and an old tire doubled and strapped to the side of the rack to keep the two tires apart. The "tow hook" (2x2) goes through the front wheel of the towed bike, and the tube that is attached to the chain stay of the towing bike secures the front of the wheel near the chainstay then goes over the wheel and attaches to the rack.

I posted a picture of my Miyata 1000 on the towing hook that brought it home when purchased here. Works a treat, except for slow and sharp turns, when the rear bike flops over (completely stable at riding speed, but a hassle walking it through gates and whatnot). The tire attached to the side means that I cannot carry panniers on that side, but I leave the towing hook installed and ride a different bike when I need two bags.

-Will