Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 07:02 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by irek83
Hi, trek service is just awesome, I got brand new wheel to my bike so I enjoy my ride again 😀
Guessing it wasn't the cassette that was wobbling, but the hub to your rear wheel?
Old 01-16-19, 02:02 AM
irek83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know what was wrong with cassette, maybe you right. The most important is that, my bike works fine now.
Old cassette looks like on the video.

https://vimeo.com/309182054

And some pic from Ireland.

Last edited by irek83; 01-16-19 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 07:26 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Wow, that is a beautiful picture! I can see why you would enjoy your rides! If I was living there, I would ride that area daily!
Old 01-16-19, 11:48 AM
irek83

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Wow, that is a beautiful picture! I can see why you would enjoy your rides! If I was living there, I would ride that area daily!
Thank youy if you like photography you can have a look my Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/ireneusz_ciejka/
Old 01-21-19, 06:46 AM
irek83

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fogy morning and little rain, but I can't stay in home, quick ride to the hill and back

Old 01-23-19, 12:56 AM
Nicktrek8.4

Bikes: Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, trek service is just awesome, I got brand new wheel to my bike so I enjoy my ride again 😀
i had to get my rear wheel done at Christmas. Cassette was all over the place. The bearing were shot too. Had the wheel refreshed with a new xt hub, DT Swiss comp spokes and a new ice tech disc. Next is to get the front one rebuilt
Old 01-23-19, 02:04 AM
irek83

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nicktrek8.4

i had to get my rear wheel done at Christmas. Cassette was all over the place. The bearing were shot too. Had the wheel refreshed with a new xt hub, DT Swiss comp spokes and a new ice tech disc. Next is to get the front one rebuilt
Hi,
could you tell me wich models you use ? When I spin the wheel, sometime I hear strange noise. Probably I will do the same upgrade in the future. Thanks and hope so your upgrade will works for long time.
Old 01-23-19, 01:15 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,
could you tell me wich models you use ? When I spin the wheel, sometime I hear strange noise. Probably I will do the same upgrade in the future. Thanks and hope so your upgrade will works for long time.
I went for a xt M8000, my problem was the free hub. Made a loud cracking noise when pedalling under light pressure. The teeth engagement on the xt is much better than the stock one too. The disc had to be changed as the m8000 is a centre lock type.
Old 01-24-19, 12:50 AM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking at changing the front hub to a xt dynamo hub, anyone used this?
Old 01-26-19, 04:19 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just taken all the commuter gear off the Ds in prep for some single track tomorrow! Loaded the 29x2.0 continentals back on and it’s ready. Bedgebury bike trails here I come! Will try get some photos or videos for the DS in action. Soon I might be able to post pictures lol
Old 01-31-19, 02:45 PM
Byrnem31

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Collecting ds 2 Saturday 2019 model

Hi,
new to the forum.
Collecting ds 2 2019 Saturday in penny farthing cycles Camden street and can't wait.
Those previous pictures of the silver ds 4 in ireland is right up the road from me.
It's nice to see our beautiful country on show for other members living elsewhere.
I haven't cycled properly in years due to new born children. I'm going to get back into it soon.
Is there much difference between the ds 2 and 3 and is it worth the extra money of €150 which is a lot of money to me.

Last edited by Byrnem31; 01-31-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 12:50 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The frame and forks are the same, the components are slightly better on the Ds3. The biggest difference I can see is the ds2 is 8speed and the ds3 is 9speed. Also the ds3 has Shimano brakes and not tektra. I have a 2016 ds with tektra brakes and they are pretty decent. The 9speed is IMO i going to make it worth the extra (mixed with the other bits). If you plan on using as it comes for a while then I’d go ds3, good components and the extra gear. If your one to tinker and upgrade parts then get the ds2 as the parts your likely to upgrade to would be better than the ds3. Whatever you get I’m sure you will enjoy it!
Old 02-01-19, 02:34 PM
Byrnem31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame and forks are the same, the components are slightly better on the Ds3. The biggest difference I can see is the ds2 is 8speed and the ds3 is 9speed. Also the ds3 has Shimano brakes and not tektra. I have a 2016 ds with tektra brakes and they are pretty decent. The 9speed is IMO i going to make it worth the extra (mixed with the other bits). If you plan on using as it comes for a while then I’d go ds3, good components and the extra gear. If your one to tinker and upgrade parts then get the ds2 as the parts your likely to upgrade to would be better than the ds3. Whatever you get I’m sure you will enjoy it!
thanks for that. I'll be on the bike recreationally so i don't think it's worth the extra 150.
I'm use to steel bikes and secondhand bangers so i think I'll be happy enough with the ds 2.
thanks for reply.
Old 02-01-19, 02:50 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Just a note here about Shimano brakes on the DS3. Back in late June 2018, I bought a 2019 DS3 for myself and the wife liked mine so much we bought her one in July, a 2019 women's model. At the time the Trek website specs showed Shimano disc brakes should be on both. Both of ours have Tektro brakes on them and not Shimano. I don't know if that has changed and Trek has gone back to Shimano since then. I did ask the Trek sales guy about that and my answer was something along the lines if Trek couldn't get the parts for assembly then rather than shut down production they'd use similar parts they could get. I'm not unhappy with the Tektro discs, they work great for the type of riding I do.
Old 02-01-19, 02:59 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesG
Just a note here about Shimano brakes on the DS3. Back in late June 2018, I bought a 2019 DS3 for myself and the wife liked mine so much we bought her one in July, a 2019 women's model. At the time the Trek website specs showed Shimano disc brakes should be on both. Both of ours have Tektro brakes on them and not Shimano. I don't know if that has changed and Trek has gone back to Shimano since then. I did ask the Trek sales guy about that and my answer was something along the lines if Trek couldn't get the parts for assembly then rather than shut down production they'd use similar parts they could get. I'm not unhappy with the Tektro discs, they work great for the type of riding I do.
I do think sometimes the sales guys get told different things about products. I was told several times that the Bontrager mudguards came with the mountings for the Ds. Brought them and guess what, they didn’t. But I saved the emails and the bike shop was able to get the mounts for me and trek paid for them. As for the brakes I’ve just installed Shimano ice tech discs, 160mm rear and 180mm front. Changing out to xtr m9120 brakes next month me thinks! The bike is coming along nicely!
Old 02-02-19, 01:19 PM
Byrnem31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up the ds 2 in black 2019 today and what a bike.
it's everything I wanted. Fast, easy to cycle, go anywhere and well made.
I took it through a field today, a motocross track for motorbikes and back onto to the road with one hand on the handlebar and another holding my dog on a lead. I was out for an hour no bother.
It's a very well made bike and the gear changes are very smooth. The suspension is a bonus for dirt tracks.
I was worried about going slightly off road on it but it's a very capable bike.
the saddle is not comfortable for me though so ill need to address it soon. Might get a gel cover for cheap to see if that will work first.
I train kickboxing so it wasn't too hard getting back on the saddle today.
All in all a great bike.
Old 02-06-19, 07:57 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Schwalbe Hurricanes

If anyone is interested in larger tires on their Trek DS. This is the clearance the Schwalbe Hurricanes 29x2.0 will have.
Old 02-11-19, 12:36 AM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Continental race kings 29x2.0 also fit nicely
Old 02-11-19, 12:47 AM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A good day out at Bedgebury bike park! Upgraded the front brake disc after this run as I found I didn’t have enough braking power once the discs were wet, I now have a 180mm Shimano I’ve tech disc, a fair bit better but defo going bigger callipers.
Old 02-11-19, 08:57 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Those Race Kings look great on that DS!
Old 02-11-19, 02:03 PM
308jerry

Continental race kings 29x2.0 also fit nicely
I think the 29 x 2.0 makes it a look great. When I took my 2 inchers out on one of the gravel roads I ride, it went up hill a lot easier .... I'll bet these do too ....
Old 02-17-19, 05:40 AM
SoberPanda

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Need your suggestions

Hello people,
I got the DS4 few months back and I am enjoying the ride. I have been pretty inactive all my life so when I started cycling now and can almost keep up with the riders who have been doing it for years, it encourages me.
I wanted to get some of your thoughts about what are good ways to make my DS4 go faster.
I know the first question you might have is why don't I go for a road bike if speed is my thing. So the answer is that I have tried roadies and didn't like how they felt.
So coming back to DS4, one obvious upgrade I can think of is getting thinner tires, Have any of you done that? I mostly ride on roads so how thin can I get? Is the trade off between less rolling resistance and less comfort worth a try?
How about getting a longer stem? Will it help me get more aero?
Old 02-17-19, 10:27 AM
308jerry

Originally Posted by SoberPanda
Hello people,
I got the DS4 few months back and I am enjoying the ride. I have been pretty inactive all my life so when I started cycling now and can almost keep up with the riders who have been doing it for years, it encourages me.
I wanted to get some of your thoughts about what are good ways to make my DS4 go faster.
I know the first question you might have is why don't I go for a road bike if speed is my thing. So the answer is that I have tried roadies and didn't like how they felt.
So coming back to DS4, one obvious upgrade I can think of is getting thinner tires, Have any of you done that? I mostly ride on roads so how thin can I get? Is the trade off between less rolling resistance and less comfort worth a try?
I don't know if a longer stem would help with aero a whole lot. I didn't quite like being stretched out so much on mine and put a shorter stem on and it's now more comfortable.
Might just try changing air pressure in the tires some that would be a cheap start.
My Trek DS came with 38s that had more of a gravel tire on it. I switched to a Schwalbe Hurricane that are 2 inches wide and it actually rolls better on them. And rolls over softer surfaces better also.
Old 02-18-19, 12:58 AM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoberPanda
Hello people,
I think the things that will allow you to be faster would be a light weight wheel upgrade (stock rims are heavy) and running 700x28 or similar size, riding clipped pedals (360 degrees of power) and wearing proper clothing, if your not already (more aero)
Old 02-18-19, 01:56 AM
SoberPanda

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Guys.
I assume you meant clipless, I do use them. I do see some benefit in sprints, but it has only been some time. I am concentrating on not dying on steep climbs so dont think I use the advantage of clipless on climbs yet. I do wear proper clothing as well. Changing the rim and tires sounds like a big investment, but I take it the benefits are proportional according to you. Would changing just the tires have very minimal impact?
Also, I wanted to know, does locking out the suspension when there are some patches of bad road, cause any harm to the suspension?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.