Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brrr..What’s your Winter Project?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 11:10 PM
rothenfield1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This topic has been touched on, but I’d be interested to see what you crazy obsessive old bike freaks do to occupy your mind during the winter months. I have one that keeps my mind’s bike wheels turning even though I can’t get to it because I’m working in another state from it right now. Tange 2 frame set that was a free dump yard find. I have images of a vintage all-rounder with barcons, moustache bars, Brooks, & fenders. I'm trying to find powder coater or cheap painter in my area. I’m seeing something like a poor man’s Rivendell Atlantis. Kinda fun to have a difficult bike to keep chipping away at.

Your turn.
Old 11-14-10, 11:18 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I have two bikes for my in-laws this winter. A 1969 Hercules 3 speed and a Huffy Silver Jet.

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-14-10, 11:31 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That Huffy is super cool. That would make a great present under someones Christmas tree.
Old 11-14-10, 11:40 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
No projects. Yet......
Old 11-14-10, 11:56 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
That Huffy is super cool. That would make a great present under someones Christmas tree.
I think it will turn out nice, and it is perfect for my mother-in-law because of it's simplicity. I have another forum member to thank for this one, Sonatageek used some of his volunteer time at a co-op to get this bike for me.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-15-10, 12:15 AM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking forward to getting back to Monterey to work on my winter bike project. And, possibly getting some skiing in while here in Idaho.
Old 11-15-10, 07:46 AM
Andrew F

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hopefully I've gathered enough parts to complete this 30's era Hercules Renown.

Old 11-15-10, 08:03 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got this Specialized StreetStomper for $50 this past spring. I've been riding it around town on short trips.

I've liked it so much that I've decided to keep it, and on top of that, I've decided to give it a full refurb as a loaded touring rig. It is currently torn down to the frame.

Parts are starting to gather from donor bikes, and other bike items are starting to get eyed to be "for sale". I've got a spare set of Speedline rims from my old Subaru that should also help fund this nicely...

Last edited by YoKev; 11-15-10 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-15-10, 08:32 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think that would make a great loaded touring rig. I was one of those who never gave vintage MTBs and hybrids a second look, but I'm starting to gain an appreciation for them. I'm now keeping my eye out for a vintage Rock Hopper. I picked up this KHS Montana up for $15 at a thrift store near where I am working. I can't see shipping the whole bike home, but I definitely will salvage the Deore XT group. BTW, I'm trying to give the frame and possibly other parts away to anyone who may want them.

Last edited by rothenfield1; 11-15-10 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 08:41 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looking forward to getting back to Monterey to work on my winter bike project. And, possibly getting some skiing in while here in Idaho.
Working in the winter in Eastern Idaho just plain sucks....However I do recomend Jackson Hole for the best skiing! Pomerelle is good gets more snow than any other part of Idaho. A trip down
to Utah will also get you into some really good skiing as well

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-15-10, 09:05 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1) 85 Trek 520 rehab.
2) Secret build, that includes a Campy Rally rear der. NOS Mafac Racer brakes, Nervar Crank/TA Rings, Lyotard Bethet padals
3) Paint my wifes bike the color she wants it to be (maybe this should be #1)

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-15-10, 09:19 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Nothing exciting and not very C&V-ish:
1) Convert 1st gen Cannondale road bike to Campy 10 speed rain bike.
2) Build up 2008 Cannondale Six-13
3) Tweak my vintage steel build which is also a Campy 10 convert.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-15-10, 09:19 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay so not C&V, but it is my winter project--the saddle is sort of C&V so that counts for something...

Old 11-15-10, 09:35 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
Okay so not C&V, but it is my winter project--the saddle is sort of C&V so that counts for something...

[/I]
Mmmm!, I see something that says 'sourdough' on the table. I never had it as a kid growing up in Indiana, but acquired a taste for it when I moved to the Bay Area.

The bike looks intriguing, is that an alum frame with a steel fork? A friend of mine who is a master bike mechanic put a steel fork on his alum road bike and loved it.
Old 11-15-10, 09:46 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[/I]
Mmmm!, I see something that says 'sourdough' on the table. I never had it as a kid growing up in Indiana, but acquired a taste for it when I moved to the Bay Area.

The bike looks intriguing, is that an alum frame with a steel fork? A friend of mine who is a master bike mechanic put a steel fork on his alum road bike and loved it.
After riding my C'dale with an aluminum fork then switching it to steel I also became a fan. Carbon would probably look better on this build but since I'm building it up to be a rugged, curb jumping commuter / cross bike I opted for steel. This bike will also see a good deal of single track (with a wheel swap) so I am just more comfortable with the steel fork.
Old 11-15-10, 10:16 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris W.
Working in the winter in Eastern Idaho just plain sucks....However I do recomend Jackson Hole for the best skiing! Pomerelle is good gets more snow than any other part of Idaho. A trip down
to Utah will also get you into some really good skiing as well

Cheers,
Chris
I just googled Pomerelle, an hour and a half away and 3 black diamonds. That's my target, bring on the snow!
Is there powder Chris?
Old 11-15-10, 10:34 PM
Chris W.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just googled Pomerelle, an hour and a half away and 3 black diamonds. That's my target, bring on the snow!
Is there powder Chris?
If it's cold enough. The best powder is in Utah (imho) If your in Idaho long enough, a trip West to SunValley is worthwhile too! (mostly because it's SunValley).

Back on task, I think you should do a 650b conversion on the Centurion )

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-15-10, 10:48 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
If it's cold enough. The best powder is in Utah (imho) If your in Idaho long enough, a trip West to SunValley is worthwhile too! (mostly because it's SunValley).
I've been there several times with my band. It's beautiful! PM me if you want to know where to eat or have a beer.
Old 11-15-10, 11:19 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Back on task, I think you should do a 650b conversion on the Centurion )

Cheers,
Chris
Well, it wasn't my intent to turn this into a skiing thread; but, I think your right, if your this close, you've got to ski Sun Valley. I think I will be here for another month, if I can get my boots and ski uni out here I'd probably regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't take advantage of the opportunity,

Back to the task, why do you think I should go 650?
Old 11-16-10, 05:43 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
The choices for winter 2010/2011...

I am going to go with the pair of Bottecchia bicycles, offering each a full going through, including paint and art.

196?/7? Bottecchia "Professional",
Three_Bottecchias.jpg

197? Bottecchia "Special",
Bott_Red_57_1_Ful .jpg

197?/8? Saronni "Tipo Sprint",
Saronni_TS_AsFnd_.jpg

194? AutoMoto Porteur,
Automoto_AsFnd_Ar.jpg

198? Velo Sport "Supra",
VeloSport_Supra_A&.jpg

or my 198? Cyclops, with is already test built but in need of cosmetic attention.
Cyclops_TestBld_F&.jpg

Looks like I will be restoring a set of nice old Bottecchia road bicycles. The rest will have to wait for another day. Of course, I can always ride the Cyclops.
Old 11-16-10, 05:51 AM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Of course, I can always ride the Cyclops.
or, sell it to me.
Old 11-16-10, 08:15 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Back to the task, why do you think I should go 650?
People who have actually done several 650B conversions are better qualified to answer this (nlerner comes to mind). But, generally speaking, 650B allows you run bigger tires at lower pressures on a frame that was designed for 700c while keeping roughly the same circumference of tire.

Personally, I would prefer a bike with longer chain stays and perhaps more relaxed angles for a 650B conversion.
Old 11-16-10, 08:33 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Mostly just doing maintenance on what I have. I do have to do some work on my sister's Nishiki that was crashed this past summer - fortunately nothing on the frame is bent though.

About December I start putting my mental shopping list together for the February swap meet I go to. I'm happy with the road bikes I have but may start looking for vintage mtb's as the funds allow. I've enjoyed riding the two I have that are steel.

Old 11-16-10, 09:01 AM
XLR99

Bikes: 85 Cilo, '91 Bianchi Volpe, '00 Gary Fisher, '74 Raleigh SuperCourse, '06 Soma Groove, '09 Nashbar X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be working on my Super Course project & trying my hand at building up a wheelset for it as a SS cruiser/errand bike. I have a set of Iro hubs and a new set of CR18 rims, just need spokes now. But then all the talk of IGH hubs is making me wonder if I should go that route instead.....

Still occasionally doing battle with the stuck seatpost on the Schwinn BMX I trash picked over the summer.

I'm working my brother in law to get my hands on his unused Specialized crisscross to build up as a cyclocross bike for next fall, so hopefully that will end up in the basement soon.
Old 11-16-10, 09:34 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
well I coverded my winter bike projects in the other thread but for non bike stuff, right now I m tring to get my carpets cleaned and some other maintenance done in my apartment.

hopefully in Dec I can have some tme for 3 or 5 bike projects.

unfortunately it lookslike in Jan I will be sitching divisions (we seem to have lost our Govt Airfreight contract for good) and going back to driving the Big Rigs cross country so riding and wrenching time will then be at a real premium

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 11-16-10 at 09:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.