Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A thread worth referencing in the 41

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 11:37 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

I know that few here feel that venturing into the 41 (Road forum) is worthwhile, but there is a great thread over there about the effect of cycling on those with depression.

Some of you might have something worth contributing to the thread, if you or someone you know has found cycling to be a great help or adjunct to medication.

Otherwise, give it a read, anyway. I think anyone would find a level of joy in it.

Here is the link:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...and-Depression
Old 11-27-12, 05:33 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the link . I am glad to hear that I am not the only one in this forum who is fighting depression . I tried very hard not to go to the dark side , cycling helps a lot .
Old 11-27-12, 06:14 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
That is a good thread and discussion, I have participated in the talk. Surprisingly rational discussion without the usual rancor the 41 can have on even serious topics. If you suffer with depression and want to get some idea about riding to help you out, this is a good read. Thanks Rowan.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-27-12, 07:56 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Almost never spent time in 41, but from what I've heard here, I'm rather impressed with the discussion in that thread.
Old 11-27-12, 10:24 AM
tom cotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rowen, thx for posting this. I never would have seen it as i don't go to the road cycling forum. My son suffers from depression. I turned him on to cycling about 5 or 6 years ago and now he is an avid Mountain Biker who wants to give some touring a try. I'll direct him to the thread. I'm sure he can add to the discussion.

I do have a question: Why is the road bike forum called the 41?
Old 11-27-12, 11:42 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
Rowen, thx for posting this. I never would have seen it as i don't go to the road cycling forum. My son suffers from depression. I turned him on to cycling about 5 or 6 years ago and now he is an avid Mountain Biker who wants to give some touring a try. I'll direct him to the thread. I'm sure he can add to the discussion.

I do have a question: Why is the road bike forum called the 41?
https://www.bikeforums.net/41-Road-Cycling

Old 11-27-12, 11:46 AM
PatW

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Good cross post Rowan. I have not dropped in at the road cycling forum for a long time. The discussion was quite rational and also rather sensitive to the original poster.
Old 11-27-12, 12:44 PM
bigbadwullf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But is it relevant to the 220?(tic).

Been spending a lot of time in "the 41" (road forum, designated by the "41" in the url of the forum address) and quite enjoying it. Not as crazy as I first thought and a LOT less health-related topics. I come here for bike discussions, not health discussions.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 11-27-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-27-12, 01:03 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

If you don't want to read what is in the post, don't click on it. The 50+ had long had discussions about health issues and handled them quite well.

bill

Old 11-27-12, 01:05 PM
Louis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the link, Rowan.
Old 11-27-12, 01:08 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
But is it relevant to the 220?(tic).

Been spending a lot of time in "the 41" (road forum, designated by the "41" in the url of the forum address) and quite enjoying it. Not as crazy as I first thought and a LOT less health-related topics. I come here for bike discussions, not health discussions.
It's not that bad venturing out into other forums on here.

Again, another thank you to Rowan for that link.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-27-12, 01:25 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are people really that thin-skinned that they can't keep the 41 in perspective? It's just a bunch of gas bags flexing computer muscles. Don't take it that seriously. You don't really believe that everyone in there knocks off sub-4 hour centuries and "dials it up to 400 watts" regularly, do you?

Hell, I haven't been around here all that long, and even I can tell who the real deals are, and who the imaginary cat 1 guys are.
Old 11-27-12, 01:54 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

It isn't the 41 some have problems with it is the fact we are discussing a health related issue here. I visit the 41 daily and have no problems what so ever there. As you said, just take it with a grain of salt.

Bill

Old 11-27-12, 03:26 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
It isn't the 41 some have problems with it is the fact we are discussing a health related issue here. I visit the 41 daily and have no problems what so ever there. As you said, just take it with a grain of salt.

Bill
The 41 has really calmed down lately. It used to be home to some regular flame-throwers who would routinely belittle noobs. For the most part they've either reformed or been banned. The last few months it's been a veritable love-fest over there.

People don't mind discussing their last colonoscopy or even their low T levels, but when it comes to depression folks tend to keep to themselves. The discussion on the 41 was kind of like the dam breaking, an internets catharsis in a positive way. At least I thought so.

Old 11-27-12, 06:30 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I didn't really intend it to be a discussion about the merits or otherwise of the 41. It's just that I know some here won't go there on principle, but it seemed a shame to have go by such a good thread dealing sensitively with a sensitive subject without referencing it for those here who might be interested.

I think we have all descended into depths of despair and depression at some time in our lives. For some of us, we've got through without outside assistance, but it's important for men in particular that there are resources that can help.

As 50+, we may well be set for many more events in our lives that might lead to similar reactions. I though it was good to know that there are others who share, and who might be ready references in the future. Plus, looking at the medication regimens might also be helpful -- reactions, counter-reactions, effect on cycling, and so on.

And the big message is -- cycling (or any other form of physical activity) can be a help.
Old 11-28-12, 07:11 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Very well said, Rowan, I could not ever come up with that eloquent reply you have given. This seems like a really important thread to me, yes I have a stake in it as a diagnosed clinical depressive person, and it was a shock that so many people chose to come forth in the thread. A lot of stigma still attaches to depression and other mental health issues so many people just hide or internalise things so no one will know. Getting a diagnosis and some help with the medication made a difference in my life and I hope that some one here can benefit from seeing others with this problem and get help.

Bill

Old 11-28-12, 09:32 AM
tom cotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imo, the health care threads are high value. As an example, years ago i had to go on BP meds. I resisted my doc's efforts. Reading through threads on the 50+ forum, combined with asking questions, helped me understand the various meds, their effects on me as a cyclist, and their side effects.

Here is great example: I went clothes shopping after cycling hard. Cylcing in the late morning, shower, then off to the mall. I was at a store bending over looking at something on a low shelf. AS I got up i felt very light headed, like i was going to pass out. The meds lowered my BP and the heavy exercise opened my capillaries to the point that a simple act of getting up from a stooped position left me light headed. And, sent me back to the doc's office for a med adjustment.

Again, From what i read here, instead of panicing in the store I knew exactly what was going on and what the fix was. All because some fellow 50 plussers had gone through it before me and had posted that experience here. Good stuff!!!

Last edited by tom cotter; 11-28-12 at 09:41 AM.