Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for new wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking for new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 07:19 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Nox Composites

Falkor 55R Carbon Clincher | Nox Composites
Old 01-26-18, 01:09 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, out of curiosity what is the reasoning behind preferring carbon wheel + aluminum braking surface?

I've heard from teammates that alu-lined carbon rims wear out MUCH faster than full carbon or full aluminum. The reason being the aluminum braking track put on carbon wheels is much thinner because they're trying to stay competitive with weights, whereas the alu brake track on a normal shallow aluminum rim can be built thicker.

That said, these Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon look like a great deal!

https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-c...SABEgKjRvD_BwE

https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-c...CABEgLAIfD_BwE

Edit: These are the training wheels I picked up for the winter and they are a steal for the price, however they are probably right on the edge of where you'd want to be in terms of width:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...7/rp-prod88636
Old 01-29-18, 12:53 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MattyMurdah
OP, out of curiosity what is the reasoning behind preferring carbon wheel + aluminum braking surface?

I've heard from teammates that alu-lined carbon rims wear out MUCH faster than full carbon or full aluminum. The reason being the aluminum braking track put on carbon wheels is much thinner because they're trying to stay competitive with weights, whereas the alu brake track on a normal shallow aluminum rim can be built thicker.

That said, these Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon look like a great deal!

https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-c...SABEgKjRvD_BwE

https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-c...CABEgLAIfD_BwE

Edit: These are the training wheels I picked up for the winter and they are a steal for the price, however they are probably right on the edge of where you'd want to be in terms of width:

Fulcrum Racing 3 Road Wheelset 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles
I already go the wheels, but thanks for the link.

Hmm, well I thought they would offer a less harsher ride then pure aluminum. Although now I am not so sure. At lest ones I got seems like a it's a regular alumium rim, and carbon is like a fairing. They seem to offer the same quality of a ride as my pure carbon. So I think it probably due to them being wider.
Anyway I think braking surface would depend on manufacturer. I had some regular aluminum ones wear out in less then a season.
Old 03-14-18, 12:18 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
UPATE!
So it finally started to rain in California. Pretty sure hell has frozen over. Anyway, what I found is that after riding in the rain there is water that collects in rear wheel. I can hear it slashing inside. After I remove the tire quite a bit drains out. :/ The front wheel is OK. I have never encountered anything like this in other wheels. So, FYI if anyone wants to get them and ride in the rain.
Old 03-14-18, 06:39 AM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've been looking at upgrading my wheels also. The information is overwhelming. I'm now understanding that I've once again taken up another expensive habit.