Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Securing Bike Accessories

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 07:42 PM
MartyMcFly55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This may have been covered already but I couldn't find anything using the search function. I'm brand new to cycling and more specifically commuting via bike, but I wanted to know what everyone does with their extra gear/accessories when they lock up their bikes? I will be running errands on my bike such as going to the grocery store, library, etc. and I was wondering if people pull their lights, pumps, saddle bags etc. off the bike every time they lock it up while running errands? If so do you just cary all these items around with you? Personally I will have a couple lights up front and a couple taillights along with saddle bag containing a multitool, mini pump, spare tubes, tire levers, and some other items. Sorry if this is seems like a ridiculous question...
Old 04-24-18, 08:19 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I use a small daypack,

stocked w/ spares, pump, lock, windbreaker, etc.,

& try to put the lights, computer, & lock keys in one pocket so easier to reload.
Old 04-24-18, 08:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
A small backpack or fannypack will work fine. Or there are plenty of good handlebar bags that can be removed and reinstalled very quickly.
Old 04-24-18, 08:24 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A small backpack or fannypack will work fine. Or there are plenty of good handlebar bags that can be removed and reinstalled very quickly.
Interesting,never heard of them.
Old 04-24-18, 08:37 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If you leave stuff on a bike, it can be stolen and, depending on where you leave your bike, eventually it will be. Some people will just steal because they can, regardless of whether they're stealing anything of value. Even light mounts will be stolen so I tend to take them off with the lights (mine come off easily, actually, more easily than removing the light from the mount).

When parking short term in a benign area such as my local library, I don't bother about my saddle bag of tools and pump, but unless I need them, probably won't have lights. If I'm going to a major shopping area, everything comes off and travels in my pannier (I have a rack). It's all a matter of risk analysis.

My daughter-in-law always wears a back pack and, because the bike is her only transport, leaves her bike in all sorts of dodgy locations (eg, uni). Everything travels in her backpack, she doesn't have anything mounted on the bike except lights. She used to leave her lights on the bike... which is why she now has nice new lights, someone stole her old ones.

It's a pain in the bum which is why the concept of a shopping or commuting bike is so popular - you can plan to carry stealables in your bags.
Old 04-24-18, 08:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
Interesting,never heard of them.
https://www.outershelladventure.com/shop/handlebar-bag
Old 04-25-18, 03:24 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Topeak makes a couple that clip on/off quite nicely and not real bad priced. I really like the Ortlieb and Arkel but are expensive. Arkel has nice metal brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
download (6).jpeg (15.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpeg
download (7).jpeg (24.2 KB, 163 views)

Old 04-25-18, 05:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
I remove everything when I lock up outside my office building. Either that or I put the seat post bag and pump in my messenger bag when I leave the house. Forgot to remove the bag one time. Despite heavy foot traffic outside my building I came out to find the bag gone. There is a Wawa next to my building that attracts a good number of sketchy people.
Old 04-25-18, 06:17 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
So far nobody has bothered my Bell speedometer, or water bottles.

I carry my pump and tools in my backpack. Toss phone and lights in pack too.

Exploring future generator lights permanently mounted on primary commuter.
Old 04-25-18, 06:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I generally leave my frame pump in place (because I never think of it) but everything else goes into a pocket on my panniers and the panniers go with me. Usually.

I have had whole bikes stolen, but never accessories. And never baby bolts.
Old 04-25-18, 06:32 AM
mikeoclt

Bikes: Old like me: 2004 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1991 Stumpjumper, 1992 Trek 930, Vicious Cycles Motivator SS, Novara Mazama

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally use a backpack, an Osprey Daylite. It's comfy & normally has enough space for my errand runs and a few bike things (multi tool, tube, small pump, lock). Some Osprey packs have a lid lock for a helmet. Put lights in the pack when I leave the bike.
Old 04-25-18, 07:34 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly55
I'm brand new to cycling and more specifically commuting via bike... I will be running errands on my bike such as going to the grocery store, library, etc. and I was wondering if people pull their lights, pumps, saddle bags etc. off the bike every time they lock it up while running errands?
Originally Posted by Maelochs
...everything else goes into a pocket on my panniers and the panniers go with me.
A big +1 for panniers, not just for storing accessories, but for storing the stuff from your errands. It only takes a couple of seconds to clip and unclip the bags so they're easy to bring inside with you. If you're not hauling much on any given day, just use one pannier so you've only got one bag to carry.
Old 04-25-18, 07:53 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
But if you don't have or want a rack for panniers...

Most handlebar bags are easily removable, will hold everything you mention, and a lot of them have a detachable shoulder strap. Pull everything, put it in the bag and carry on. There are a lot of inexpensive options out there too that are not cheap junk. Google Axiom Atlas, for example.
Old 04-25-18, 07:56 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
some type of bag seems to be the consensus
Old 04-25-18, 08:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a front bag on my Brompton, a strapped together pannier vset for my bike friday

and my carradice is bolted on hiding my pump in it on my Koga trekking bike..

& I dont live in Eugene or Portland where there is a lot more theft.

Old 04-25-18, 08:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I guess I live, work, and ride in good areas. I've left saddle bag, pumps, and lights attached when I lock the bike up for years, and haven't lost anything (knock on wood!). The only thing I worry about is my GPS when I'm out on longer rides -- it goes into a jersey pocket when I leave the bike alone.
Old 04-25-18, 11:09 AM
MartyMcFly55

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses. I really like the idea of getting a rack and some panniers as it seems like the most versatile and convenient option for the type of errands i will be running. But for the time being I think I'll use a backpack that I already have and throw everything in there.
Old 04-25-18, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly55
But for the time being I think I'll use a backpack that I already have and throw everything in there.
I would avoid a regular backpack if you plan to carry heavy loads like a lot of groceries. They tend to pull straight down and can wear on your shoulders. I have been using Tibuk2 messenger bags before they were hip. The cross the shoulder strap and the one that goes across your chest keeps the weight from feeling like an anchor pulling you backwards and from feeling like it's digging into your shoulders.
Old 04-25-18, 01:41 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I bike commute with three different bikes in a fairly low crime area, but I grew up in Chicago. I have a back pack when I commute, so if I run errands on the way to or from home, or at lunch I take my speedometer/bike computer and my water bottle. I leave my front and rear blinkies, frame pump and saddle bag/frame bag that has a spare inner tub, patch kit and compact tools. All components are inexpensive walmart grade, so it ould be no ig financial loss if stolen...just inconvenient.
Old 04-25-18, 02:54 PM
HuffyAllUltegra

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
McMaster-Carr has a bunch of non-bicycling specific security bolts and fasteners. Might be worth a look. Good prices since they're not branded and sold for a specific industry, too.

That and a daypack for everything else.
Old 04-25-18, 03:03 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I leave my front and rear blinkies, frame pump and saddle bag/frame bag that has a spare inner tub, patch kit and compact tools. All components are inexpensive walmart grade, so it ould be no ig financial loss if stolen...just inconvenient.

This is a good point. If I had to replace everything on the bike it'd probably cost me more in time spent grumbling (if I got paid for it) than in stuff I had to replace.
Old 04-25-18, 03:42 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I have relatively inexpensive bits like pump, cheap co2 inflator, puncture repair / levers that I leave in the saddle bag.

More valuable bits like mobile phone / money I keep together in a fuel bag where they're easy to get to and are things I'd probably want with me when I get off the bike anyway.

The only exception is a relatively expensive main torch which I purposefully bought a decent mount with a quick release so I can quickly take it with me and will probably remove it in the summer altogether but will still carry a £3 "get me home" torch out of sight in case it's ever needed and just leave it in the bag.

That said I think it's a very sad world we live in that we have to be concerned about things being stolen ... maybe it's the way you're bought up but I'd NEVER consider stealing off of somebody else!

Last edited by Witterings; 04-25-18 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 04:27 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I use a small sling bag with sternum strap - Patagonia Atom 8. Holds everything and doesn't make your back sweaty. That said, my "errand" bike is a 16" Bike Friday pakiT which I fold and take everywhere with me - so I don't need to remove any accessories as the bike never leaves my sight. But I still use the Atom bag to hold my tools and spare tube, etc.
Old 04-25-18, 07:47 PM
Ritalalala

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course, it's dangerous outside your sight.
Remember to bring your backpack when you go out.
Old 04-25-18, 07:59 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've had a bike get messed with, once in 20 years. I was parked in front of my kids' high school, at night, for some kind of event. When I came out, someone had emptied the contents of my sag bag onto the ground. Everything was there, I put it all back, and left. I'm guessing they were looking for something like a weapon or stash, and didn't find anything interesting.

If I was ever worried, I'd do the backpack thing. For a short trip, I could easily take the risk of having to walk home if I get a flat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.