Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Large Bicyclists vs. the Wind

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Large Bicyclists vs. the Wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 12:26 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I was playing around with the numbers on this site:
Bike Calculator

Suppose your course is 85 miles of level, 7.5 miles of 5% uphill, 7.5 miles of 5% downhill, no headwind, 70 degrees, 500' above sea level elevation, constant power output the whole time.
Mr Heavy is 240 lbs on a 25 lb bike.
Mr Lite is 140 lbs on a 20 lb bike.
Suppose both average 16 mph over this entire course, riding on hoods the whole time.
I would call that "comparable riders".
Well, Mr Heavy requires 176 watts power. That's 0.733 watts/lb.
Mr Lite requires 138 watts power. That's 0.985 watts/lb.
So first note, "comparable riders" don't necessarily have the same power output, or the same output per pound of body weight.

Next, assume both are putting out that same output, but riding on level ground into a 20 mph headwind.
Mr Heavy can go 8.64 mph or, if he has aerobars, 11.38 mph.
Mr Lite can go 7.64 mph or, if he has aerobars, 10.22 mph.
So riders that are comparable in that first course, the heavier rider can handily leave the lighter in a headwind.

Next, assume both start up a 5% grade, no wind, same power level.
Mr. Heavy can go 5.65 mph.
Mr. Lite can go 7.08 mph.
So the lighter rider can handily outclimb the heavier rider.

This pretty much mirrors my experiences, although I can't vouch for the actual numbers.
In actual riding, most people increase their power output going into the wind or up a hill and let up on the downhill, but the amount that they do so varies considerably.
In the headwind case, the logical thing is for Mr Lite to duck in behind Mr Heavy, and it may be fastest for the team for Mr Heavy to pull the entire way.

For the uphill case, Mr Heavy can make up a small part of the extra time on the downhills.

Theoretically, I suppose you could have heavier and lighter riders with exactly the same power output per pound, but there aren't too many riders that get much past 200 lbs without carrying some extra flab. Then also, you may have less heart/lung capacity per pound of body weight with larger people, that would explain why football linemen aren't out winning the marathons.
There's power and then there's aerobic capacity. Smaller people have more lung capacity per pound, which is why they can climb better since climbing speeds are so low air drag isn't a factor. But output on flats is power, and larger people have more power.

On flats, air drag is the only thing making it possible for larger and smaller people to ride together. If we were cycling in a vacuum on the moon, the more powerful large people would have an even greater advantage. The ultimate cyclist is essentially a larger person with disproportionately large lung capacity.

That said, "large" refers to body size separate from fat. You can't take a 110 lbs person, put 100 lbs of fat on them and get any more performance than putting 100 lbs in their panniers.
Old 06-14-18, 01:45 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
But output on flats is power, and larger people have more power.
Performance on the flats is power versus aero profile, not just power by itself.

On flats, air drag is the only thing making it possible for larger and smaller people to ride together. If we were cycling in a vacuum on the moon, the more powerful large people would have an even greater advantage.
It seems to me that a vacuum would just eliminate the power-to-aero advantage that the larger people have, and it would become just about entirely a power-to-weight game. For anything other than a sprint event (where the aerobic-capacity-to-weight thing isn't so much of a problem), the bigger folks would lose their benefits on the flats and they'd still be screwed on the climbs.
Old 06-14-18, 04:12 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I reckon my aero-bulge smooths the airflow down my front and around the sides. I feel sorry for them skinny bods who hunch over and have that hollow in front to catch the wind
Old 06-14-18, 12:00 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Performance on the flats is power versus aero profile, not just power by itself.

It seems to me that a vacuum would just eliminate the power-to-aero advantage that the larger people have, and it would become just about entirely a power-to-weight game. For anything other than a sprint event (where the aerobic-capacity-to-weight thing isn't so much of a problem), the bigger folks would lose their benefits on the flats and they'd still be screwed on the climbs.
On flats, power to weight is meaningless. It's flat.
Old 06-14-18, 12:26 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
on the flats becomes power to fitness ratio. who can hold XXX amount of power for such duration.

Wind is always a factor because YOU are always moving, sometimes it offers more resistance, sometimes less, but its always there
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-14-18, 01:21 PM
HTupolev

On flats, power to weight is meaningless. It's flat.
It still affects acceleration. Rolling resistance is complicated. But yeah, I'm not saying that the smaller people would crush the bigger ones on the flats; I'm saying it's not obvious that they'd be disadvantaged on the flats, and they'd retain their climbing advantages.
Old 06-14-18, 01:26 PM
Kontact 

It still affects acceleration. Rolling resistance is complicated. But yeah, I'm not saying that the smaller people would crush the bigger ones on the flats; I'm saying it's not obvious that they'd be disadvantaged on the flats, and they'd retain their climbing advantages.
In a motor pacing environment, a 200 watt rider would crush a 100 watt rider, regardless of weight. Wind resistance and hills are the only things that make different sized people of similar fitness able to ride against each other.
Old 06-14-18, 01:38 PM
HTupolev

In a motor pacing environment, a 200 watt rider would crush a 100 watt rider, regardless of weight.
It doesn't make any physical sense to say that power is the only consideration. What resistance is the power being used to overcome? It's always something.

A 100W cyclist with 100lb bike+rider system can accelerate just as quickly as a 200W cyclist with 200lb bike+rider system. Rolling resistance also tends to increase with load; as I said this is more complicated, but it's not a trivial thing that can simply be ignored.
It's true that reduction of air resistance through drafting is a considerable part of why tiny riders can keep up with bigger ones on the flats. But air resistance - and in particular the smaller rider's aerodynamic profile having been larger relative to their power, due to the latter often scaling faster with linear size than the former - is also the main reason that they might have been slower in the first place.

Last edited by HTupolev; 06-14-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 02:04 PM
Kontact 

It doesn't make any physical sense to say that power is the only consideration. What resistance is the power being used to overcome? It's always something.

A 100W cyclist with 100lb bike+rider system can accelerate just as quickly as a 200W cyclist with 200lb bike+rider system. Rolling resistance also tends to increase with load; as I said this is more complicated, but it's not a trivial thing that can simply be ignored.
It's true that reduction of air resistance through drafting is a considerable part of why tiny riders can keep up with bigger ones on the flats. But air resistance - and in particular the smaller rider's aerodynamic profile having been larger relative to their power, due to the latter often scaling faster with linear size than the former - is also the main reason that they might have been slower in the first place.
Power is the only consideration in predicting the outcome. Rolling resistance differences between two riders of very different weights is going to be insignificant compared to output. So while the big rider might lose an additional watt more of rolling resistance from weight, he's adding 50 watts.

Without wind resistance, power minus rolling and bearing drag will predict top speed. A smaller rider might accelerate faster for a short distance at low speeds, but that isn't much of a consideration for most cycling uses. A running man can out accelerate a horse for 50 yards, but no one races horses for 50 yards.

Once you add air resistance it starts getting closer, but the large motor has less power to drag than a smaller motor, so the big guy retains some of the huge advantage he had with no wind, but the advantage is smaller.
Old 06-14-18, 03:25 PM
HTupolev

power minus rolling and bearing drag will predict top speed.
Power divided by rolling and bearing drag will predict top speed. When you're at the top speed, the power of the rider is equal to the power lose to those drags. If this weren't the case, the system would be accelerating.

If you're delivering 200W to your rear wheel in a vacuum at a steady cruise, you'd be going insanely fast and you'd have nearly 200W of rolling resistance with the rest being taken up by bearing drag.

A smaller rider might accelerate faster for a short distance at low speeds
In my experience it's frequently the opposite. Bigger riders frequently have very good 20-second power to weight, it's over longer efforts when their poorer cardio-to-weight catches up that they have a problem. I know plenty of clydes who can fly away from me up quick rises, but who I totally destroy on long ascents.

Last edited by HTupolev; 06-14-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 03:35 PM
Kontact 

Power divided by rolling and bearing drag will predict top speed. When you're at the top speed, the power of the rider is equal to the power lose to those drags. If this weren't the case, the system would be accelerating.

If you're delivering 200W to your rear wheel in a vacuum at a steady cruise, you'd be going insanely fast and you'd have nearly 200W of rolling resistance with the rest being taken up by bearing drag.

In my experience it's frequently the opposite. Bigger riders frequently have very good 20-second power to weight, it's over longer efforts when their poorer cardio-to-weight catches up that they have a problem. I know plenty of clydes who can fly away from me up quick rises, but who I totally destroy on long ascents.
Yup to all. Motor pacing speeds are indeed insane.