Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wrapping grip tape on flat bars with bar extenders

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 10:30 PM
sickmick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone done this? I first wrapped some cork tape over my grips after trimming the ends to fit bar extenders. I taped all the way to the ends of the extenders. I didn't like the feel as the tape over the grips (ergos) was too thick. I bought new tape thinking that I would remove the grips completely. That might leave too narrow hand contact with the bars though. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old 05-23-17, 03:35 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
You can double up on the most used area for extra cushioning. Or do a base wrap with an old inner tube.
Pay attention to wrap direction - wrap from tips and back to protect the edges against the regular direction of pressure. Secure well to prevent unwinding. Shrink tubing or self-fusing silicone tape does a good job.
Old 05-23-17, 10:01 AM
chorlton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wrap 'from to' in the opposite direction you expect your hands will try to move the tape when you grip the bar. The resulting exposed edge will be in that direction, the one you expect your hands to move things. Rather than raising the edge you will flatten it. That might make better sense if you try things out.

I have only done drop bars and I use the cheap foamy stuff. I start at the bar ends with an initial wind of double sided tape prior to starting with the bar tape itself and make sure there is enough falling off the end such that, with minor dressing, the plug is going to force and hopefully neatly retain the overshoot within the bar end. Takes a couple of goes to get it right.

Apart from that initial use of double sided tape I avoid any other adhesives across the rest of the bar or a self adhesive bar tape. Tension is enough to fix things in place and if you get things wrong or it does not look tidy you can always back off and try again. Eventually the tape will give up or become distorted but you get a couple of goes. It is a practice sort of thing.

When it comes to fixing/terminating the loose end I have tried Heat Shrink but have a search for,

TESA TAPE 51608 ADHESIVE CLOTH FABRIC WIRING LOOM HARNESS 25m/15m x 19mm/15mm/9

It is neat and it works.