Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Riding a bike with Progressive lenses?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 11:53 AM
americanrecluse

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all!

I'm an old lady apparently so all of my doctor's appointments come with bad news! Yesterday I was told it's time for progressive lenses/bifocals. The other option is to get two pairs of glasses - one for close and one for far away. That sounds annoying. Getting used to progressive lenses also sounds annoying. Anyone who's been through it have a recommendation? Will wearing progressive lenses make riding my bike difficult?
Old 07-01-17, 11:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
No Problem.

I ride with Tri Focals.

Old 07-01-17, 12:03 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My distance vision is not too bad, but my close up is terrible. I wear progressive lenses and they work great on the bike, I can see distance and I can see my bike computer. You get used to them after awhile and it's automatic to look through the necessary part of your glasses. You can even get Oaklies with your prescription in them.
Old 07-01-17, 12:19 PM
americanrecluse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh sweet thank you so much! I feel a little bit better about it.
Old 07-01-17, 03:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Cycling is much better than going down stairs with bifocals or variable lenses.
Old 07-01-17, 04:23 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I'll chime in, took me very little time to get used to progressives and have no issues with them on the bike.
Old 07-01-17, 04:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I have astigmatism, so the vision isn't that bad, but pretty much everything is just a little out of focus and the glasses help.

I ride road bikes,and tend to watch for gravel, glass, etc under my tires.

I found the first few weeks of riding with progressives was quite annoying as it put the ground near me out of focus.

It has now been a couple of years, and I suppose I just don't notice that anymore.

I have thought about getting bike specific glasses (mainly distance only), and perhaps close-up detail specific glasses, but so far have chosen glasses that cover just about all the bases.

Astigmatism, Progressive, Photo Grey, Safety Glasses, Glass Lenses (my lenses aren't that heavy, and glass is generally durable, except for things like grinding). Unfortunately, they didn't come cheap
Old 07-01-17, 05:10 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I have progressives for my normal glasses.

Lined bifocals
On the bike I have wraparound sunglasses to keep the wind out of my eyes. (Otherwise I get lots of tears, and that causes a runny nose, too.)

These bike glasses are distance vision only, with a small "stick on bifocal" patch so I can clearly see the handlebars and the tiny bike computer text. It works great. (The optometrist told me that "+2" readers would be correct to work with my distance vision lenses.)

It took a couple of rides to get used to the line in the middle of my vision. Now my eyes adapt instantly from the variable focus of the progressives to the line bifocal on my bike glasses. I never notice the change over. It's really interesting how vision is so adaptable.

Note -- I originally had to have the prescription insert re-made. I'm leaning forward, looking upward through the lens, and the insert itself is bent at a slight angle when clipped in. So the prescription wasn't quite right -- too distorted.

Here's the Rudy bike glasses, showing the clear lenses (interchangeable with various sunglass lenses) and the wire framed prescription clip-in insert. The stick-on bifocals were cut way down with a razor knife, and stay on even under running water at the kitchen sink.

Just the width of my handlebars is in close focus -- perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Medium distance glasses
Bifocals or progressives are quite annoying in a few situations:

1. Focusing the whole width of the large flat planel computer displays. (Progressives can be quite terrible if the arm's length focus area doesn't reach all the way across the lens, but is kind of an oval in the middle. This is typical. I would have to move my head a little side-to-side to read wider lines of text.)

2. working above eye level, having to tilt my head all the way back. Grrr.

So, at my last exam, I had the Dr make a separate prescription for a single vision focusing at about arm's length. The eyeglass store had "buy one, get the second for $20" deal. Yeah! I got the cheapest frames available for this arm's length pair.

Really nice. It's kind of odd to walk around with these on, the floor is somewhat out of focus, and the far distance is about half out of focus. But I really don't notice that now when I'm wearing these.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-02-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-01-17, 05:12 PM
americanrecluse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@pdlamb - oh shoot! I live upstairs! Ha! I guess I'll have to figure it out sooner rather than later.
Old 07-02-17, 09:08 PM
sbuntin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by americanrecluse
@pdlamb - oh shoot! I live upstairs! Ha! I guess I'll have to figure it out sooner rather than later.
Stairs can be unnerving in progressives (or bifocals, for that matter), but you get used to it. Just as you accommodate by learning to automatically use the correct part of the lens in different situations, you also learn to either not look at your feet or look *under* your glasses instead of through them when on stairs.
Old 07-02-17, 09:55 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If you see more than one of these at a time

turn the other TV off...
Old 07-03-17, 02:39 AM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use distance-only sunglasses for maximum peripheral vision as well as good vision regardless of my back angle. They work with bar-end and helmet-mount mirrors. I use the Wahoo app on my phone and numbers are big enough to see at arms length with my sunglasses.

YMMV
Old 07-03-17, 06:59 AM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Personal preference. I tried progressives when I first needed them. After two weeks I went back and had them replaced with lined bifocals. I just couldn't get used to the transition on the progressives, and a lot of time my area of concentration was right where the prescription started changing, which gave me headaches. Never had any problems with the lined bifocals.
Old 07-04-17, 05:22 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'll second that. When I got my first pair of progressive lenses about seven years ago, I did fine right from the start as far as near and far vision was concerned.....except for stairs. For some reason, which I was never able to figure out or have explained to me, stairs seemed "wavy" (for lack of a better word), and there were a few instances of missed steps, although no incidents or injuries resulted. I was told "you'll get used to it" and I was like, 'yeah right.' Well, at some point in the first week or two I did and didn't have any kind of problems after that.

Old 07-04-17, 05:37 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Amen! Watch your step going down stairs and yes, lower your head almost abnormally to get the best look at the steps. Also, no issues with me riding with progressives either.
Old 07-05-17, 06:57 AM
SlowRider65

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switched to progressives earlier this year (after denying I needed them for several years ) No issues making the transition for me. I did get a pair of polarized sunglasses in regular vision as they had a $99 special when buying a new set of glasses so I use them where I used to use my sunglasses. Good Luck!
Old 07-05-17, 06:42 PM
AzDzrtRat

Bikes: Nashbar 105 Road, 1997 Cannondale CAAD3 R900

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had progressive lenses since I was in my mid 40's, (turning 60 this year). They never bothered me riding the motorcycle or the bicycle when I returned to riding. It does take a short adjustment period to figure out where to look but, that become habit pretty quickly.
Old 07-06-17, 12:10 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I'll chime in, took me very little time to get used to progressives and have no issues with them on the bike.

Me too...
Old 07-06-17, 09:49 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'll be different - I hate progressive lenses. Felt like I could never get the right angle. One thing to watch out for - progressives need more "real estate" and my specs may not have been large enough.

I just make do with distance contacts now, and use reading glasses as necessary. I can sort of make out my bike computer. Mostly.
Old 07-09-17, 08:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
My optometrist isn't building his retirement on me...then again my nurse practitioner is cuter.

And smarter than me.
Old 07-13-17, 09:33 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I had lenses made for my Oakley Split Jackets back in 2011. I recently have been trying multi focal contacts and don't like them. Oakley no longer makes the Split Jacket but I found a pair on Amazon thru a company called Fresh Shades. I also got Racing Jackets from same company thru Amazon and I hope to have new lenses made for those frames. If they can't I can have new lenses made for the new Split Jackets.