Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Today's ride

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Today's ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 05:51 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
Today's ride

Began my 52nd year today on the Gitane, up the CCRT and back with a side run to the Old Colony RT in absolutely stunning autumn weather. Anyone else have a great ride today?

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-13-10, 06:03 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Happy birthday!
I took my vintage mtb on a nice ride in the woods for a shakedown ride after rebuilding it. Went well , had a blast!

Old 11-13-10, 06:12 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
Happy birthday, Top! I also had a great ride today with several friends: from Arlington to the Minuteman Rail Trail to Lexington and then noodling around back roads and dirt paths to the Minuteman National Historic Site, where it was all dirt paths, then to Concord Center. The group was going to do a great dirt trail from Concord to Bedford, but I had to head for home from there, which was in falling darkness on busy roads. I even got hit by a car in Watertown, but no serious harm to me or the bike. The weather was gorgeous; hard to believe it was mid Nov. in New England.

Neal
Old 11-13-10, 06:37 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
....in absolutely stunning autumn weather. Anyone else have a great ride today?
Happy B'day Top. . .

YES, I had a great ride today!

People think of the entire Midwest as flat, but some of the towns North of the D are called Blankety-Blank-Hills, or Spankety-Blank Hills, etc - for good reason.

The air was crisp and lightly scented with distant wood fires, and I had no place I had to be, so I just kept riding up and down all around.
The TA18 (below) climbs like a champ. . .
(The patches of coarse gravel on the way down got a little unnerving though. )

Old 11-13-10, 06:40 PM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
...I even got hit by a car in Watertown, but no serious harm to me or the bike. ....l
You must have been riding with your Guardian Angel today, because I've found getting hit by a car usually results in not such a great ride.
Old 11-13-10, 06:50 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Happy B-day - mine was yesterday. I longed for a ride but 40 degrees and 20 mph wind meant I wasn't brave enough to venture out. I hit the indoor trainer instead. Hoping to get out tomorrow.

Old 11-13-10, 07:12 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
happy birthay, top506! what fun to have a great ride on your birthday.

today i had a strenuous, albeit short ride, as i was the "engine" in a train with two stoker cars (the stoker cars ran out of coal pretty early on). it was only about 10 miles, half of which was in and around the city and the other half on the charles river path. of course, a stop at a playground along the way was of paramount importance.

I even got hit by a car in Watertown, but no serious harm to me or the bike.
yikes! what happened, neal? glad you're okay!
Old 11-13-10, 08:13 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Happy Birthday top506!

Went out for 10 or so miles with my sweetheart It was chilli but well worth it!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-13-10, 08:29 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by southpawboston
yikes! what happened, neal? glad you're okay!
Great pics, Anton. What a happy family!

I'm fine. A scraped knee and elbow is the worst of it. The bike--my Dawes that you saw yesterday--seems fine, too, once I straightened the handlebars. It was likely my fault in that I was making a left at a busy intersection, but the car that I thought was also turning left was actually heading straight (though she might have been in a left-turn-only lane). When I glanced over as I was hurrying to make the light, I realized the driver was bearing down on me quick. I'm not sure how much we actually collided, but before I knew it, I was on the pavement, immediately hoping not to get run over by another car. I was up quickly and dragged my bike to the sidewalk, initially thinking that my fork was borked. The car's driver stopped and asked if I was alright, and I uttered a few choice curse words, which must have convinced her I was fine as she sped off. It probably didn't help that it was around 5 p.m., just getting dark (though I had front and rear lights and a reflective sash). Just another day of biking in the big city!

Neal
Old 11-13-10, 08:46 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
oh wow, Neal, glad you're ok! I'll get my turn tomorrow on the mean streets of Bean Town!

Top, happy birthday, lucky dog to be on the CCRT today!

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-13-10, 09:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Happy birfday. I turn 50 in January and am looking forward to it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-10, 09:39 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Happy 52nd. Mine's coming up later this month.

And it was a beautiful day to ride. About 50* at the start, 65* at the end of a ~40 miler, but at least we got a little climbing in.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 11-13-10, 09:59 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Happy birthday!

My only riding today was a couple laps around the block to verify adjustments I made to the '83 Raleigh Super Course I picked up yesterday.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-14-10, 06:51 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by Scottryder
oh wow, Neal, glad you're ok! I'll get my turn tomorrow on the mean streets of Bean Town!
Scott
Scott, it was just coming out of the entrance to the Blue Heron trail that I had my mishap! Be careful out there!

Neal
Old 11-14-10, 06:57 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Originally Posted by southpawboston
happy birthay, top506! what fun to have a great ride on your birthday.

today i had a strenuous, albeit short ride, as i was the "engine" in a train with two stoker cars (the stoker cars ran out of coal pretty early on). it was only about 10 miles, half of which was in and around the city and the other half on the charles river path. of course, a stop at a playground along the way was of paramount importance.

What could be finer than tooling along the Charles with your kids on a day like yesterday?
As to Neal's little mishap, I believe the pejorative 'Boston drivers' says all that need be said. I've always hated driving in Boston, even when I was driving a patrol car.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-14-10, 07:01 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Scott, it was just coming out of the entrance to the Blue Heron trail that I had my mishap! Be careful out there!

Neal
Thanks Neal for the warning. My head will be on a swivel ...

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-14-10, 12:24 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by top506
As to Neal's little mishap, I believe the pejorative 'Boston drivers' says all that need be said. I've always hated driving in Boston, even when I was driving a patrol car.

What are the chances of two C&V members having an accident at the same intersection one day apart? This after Neal warned me??

I went down today at the same spot .. while coming up off my saddle to make sure I kept the green light, my drive side pedal came off, I went down pretty hard. I was with Anton (SouthPawBoston) and about six other riders. They assisted me out of the way of the stopped traffic and I made it to the sidewalk. On further examination, it looks like my pedal was coming loose and the with extra pressure of me standing on it, it ripped right out, partial stripping the threads on the crank arm.

We tried to thread the pedal back in, no way. My riding for the day was over ... mmmm, unless I could call someone for the assist. Guess who I called? Neal! After all, he knew exactly where we were. Neal was kind enough to drive over with a pedal tap and wrench, some other tools. We cleaned up the threads from the back of the crank arm and the pedal went on like a charm. Perfect. Almost.

When I went down I hit the back of my head pretty hard, cracking my helmet. I wasn't dizzy but I had a bit of a headache. I decided to quit the ride and Neal was kind enough to drive me back to the start of the ride where my car was waiting.

Moral of this story? Always where a helmet, of course .... but ALWAYS have a good friend like Neal whose willing to drop whatever he's doing at a minutes notice and drive out to help.

Thanks again Neal, you're the real deal!!!

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-14-10, 01:07 PM
southpawboston

What are the chances of two C&V members having an accident at the same intersection one day apart? This after Neal warned me??

I went down today at the same spot .. while coming up off my saddle to make sure I kept the green light, my drive side pedal came off, I went down pretty hard. I was with Anton (SouthPawBoston) and about six other riders. They assisted me out of the way of the stopped traffic and I made it to the sidewalk. On further examination, it looks like my pedal was coming loose and the with extra pressure of me standing on it, it ripped right out, partial stripping the threads on the crank arm.

We tried to thread the pedal back in, no way. My riding for the day was over ... mmmm, unless I could call someone for the assist. Guess who I called? Neal! After all, he knew exactly where we were. Neal was kind enough to drive over with a pedal tap and wrench, some other tools. We cleaned up the threads from the back of the crank arm and the pedal went on like a charm. Perfect. Almost.

When I went down I hit the back of my head pretty hard, cracking my helmet. I wasn't dizzy but I had a bit of a headache. I decided to quit the ride and Neal was kind enough to drive me back to the start of the ride where my car was waiting.

Moral of this story? Always where a helmet, of course .... but ALWAYS have a good friend like Neal whose willing to drop whatever he's doing at a minutes notice and drive out to help.

Thanks again Neal, you're the real deal!!!
scott, you jinxed yourself by saying that! i hope your headache goes away. i'm glad it wasn't worse. sorry you couldn't stay for the rest of the ride, but going home was probably the best thing... if you think you got a concussion, be sure to watch it.

the rest of the ride was great, our leader really knows his way around the area, huh? i was glad to get to ride the blue heron path for the first time without figuring it out solo. and yes, major props to neal for coming through with the tools and ride!

Last edited by southpawboston; 11-14-10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-14-10, 02:06 PM
nlerner

Glad I could help out, Scott, and that you're okay. That spot is a Bermuda Triangle for bike riders! Stay away!!

Neal
Old 11-14-10, 03:18 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Thanks guys, I've already appealed to Rich to lead this ride again ... no concussion, just a stiff neck, bruised elbow, and bruised left thigh. Top tube? Saddle? I'm more embarrassed about having a improperly mounted pedal more than anything. Here's a post accident group photo:

Anton, any photos of Rich's Clubman?

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-14-10, 03:32 PM
Andrew F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy Birthday! Rolled around the some of the Parks in Union Co. NJ with a friend who gave me a little history lesson about the Battle of the Ashbrook Swamp. Lucky us, they closed the Ashbook Golfcouse (which was the site of the British encampment) and left the cart paths for cyclists and pedestrians. Picture perfect day in NJ.
Old 11-14-10, 05:57 PM
southpawboston

sorry, top506, for derailing (or is it derailleuring? :-)) this thread.

scott, the only photos taken with my camera are these two, at the moody street falls. no closeups, though.

we never got that raleigh group shot, did we... and i second the plea for an encore ride (minus the pedal mishap!)!
Old 11-14-10, 08:18 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Happy birthday, top! This was a good weekend to ride (around Boston at least), and good for birthdays too. And a good weekend for mishaps.

Neal, Scott, I do hope you are okay and nothing either biological or mechanical got hurt.

Tomorrow I will turn 62. Four of us did a metro-west ride yesterday (before I met up with Scott later). It was a great ride but I had a significant technical glitch too. Nobody hurt, nothing broke. Ride reports start here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post11782332
Old 11-14-10, 08:52 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Today.... I went with my 5 1/2 yr old son on his first real ride around our town. WITHOUT TRAINING WHEELS !

Scared out of my wits as I watched him dart there and here, sometimes covering both lanes of neighborhood roads or paying more attention to his shadow then the way in front of him. But boy, I sure was proud too. Laughing all the way, he did go where his handlebars pointed.

Happy Birthday to you, you got 2 yrs on me. 3ss
Old 11-15-10, 06:13 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Neal was kind enough to drive over with a pedal tap and wrench, some other tools. We cleaned up the threads from the back of the crank arm and the pedal went on like a charm.
I usually stuff a pedal wrench in a jersey pocket on group rides, but didn't thing to bring taps. Thanks for the tip.