Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ideas on how the liven up the appearance of this bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 07:53 AM
that_guy_zach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Im not really sure what Im asking here.I really love the way this bike rides, but the looks are down right boring. I am planning on adding fenders but Im not even sure they will clear. Any ideas to make this thing more of a looker?

Looking for ideas on hood color, Fenders and maybe a rear rack and bar bag.

Last edited by that_guy_zach; 11-19-10 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-19-10, 07:56 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Orange bar tape and cables.

Streamers on the handlebars?

Old 11-19-10, 07:58 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
OEM decals and a Campagnolo Record crankest would be the obvious start.
Old 11-19-10, 07:58 AM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Orange bar tape and cables.

Streamers on the handlebars?
+1, and decals.
Old 11-19-10, 07:59 AM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
OEM decals and a Campagnolo Record crankest would be the obvious start.
The problem is that no one knows what this bike is. The crank is already Dura Ace.
Old 11-19-10, 08:09 AM
shrinkboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
complete clean up and polish of the frame, paint touch up and de-rusting and polishing all the alloy parts, aero brake levers, uuuuhhh.....
Old 11-19-10, 08:10 AM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yellow cable housing, white tape. If you feel like going crazy, throw some white Velocity or Weinmann rims on there. If you're dying for flash, you could snag one of them new-fangled tars with the lettering all big like the racers do it. Not terribly C&V, but certainly flashy!

Old 11-19-10, 08:11 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
chrome headset, brake hoods
Old 11-19-10, 08:14 AM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I dont think this is going the way I hoped. I am more than happy with the parts on the bike.

What I was looking for is recommendations on hood colors, Fenders and maybe a rear rack.
Old 11-19-10, 08:31 AM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Outline the lugs in black, I'm not sure the frame was built for fenders and racks.
Old 11-19-10, 09:06 AM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I disagree with all of the above haha.

Dark blue cable housing, lug lining, and bar tape. Black hoods. Tires with a narrow, dark blue stripe. The blue needs to be one that plays well with the current color though.

Could be that I'm in a weird mood this morning though...
Old 11-19-10, 09:08 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
first I would clean it until you could operate with the parts.

new brake blocks, and some SS acorn nuts to hold them on. pic a color I would do red or yellow. use that color to get someone to make you some decals for it "That Zach Guy" "Zach" a fancy head badge. personalize it

then use the same color on the bartape, cables and toe straps. you could also consider coloring the fluting on the seatpost and cranks. anodized chainring bolts and if you can find the dust caps.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-19-10, 09:16 AM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ah! A thread calling out my name : )

Okay... First thing, is that the frame is a beautiful colour, but it is being "deadened" by the black saddle and bar tape. If you change them to something in the brown family (including caramel/orange), you will see that the soft blue will come alive and will become a lot more vibrant. This alone will transform the personality of the bike dramatically.

Then, the headset. It is black and very visible, as it is a stark contrast to the frame colour. It has the effect of dissecting the otherwise graceful line of the headtube and fork. If you switch it to a silver headset, it will make a huge difference - the lines of the bike will be more elegant.

As for fenders, you can go with almost anything here, because your frame colour is so simple and there aren't any distracting decals or multi-coloured panels. Though I do not usually like hammered Honjos (or the VO version thereof), I think they would look good here. Or, if you prefer a racier and less "randonneur"-like look, I also think the SKS fenders would go well with this bike.

Good luck - I think your bicycle is a real beauty!
Old 11-19-10, 09:18 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think following Andrew's idea to add Black is good....Key off the Black Headset. Maybe fill the Crank spider and seatpost flutes like Bianchi Girl suggested..but in black.

Failing the idea of using black I'd ditch the black headset like due ruote said..

Originally Posted by due ruote
chrome headset, brake hoods

Ditch the parts bin water bottle holder for something a little nicer.

Fenders would look cool but as Andrew Suggested its not gonna be the easiest bike to fit racks and fenders to. There's just no braze-ons. Yes you can use P-Clamps but IMHO using P-Clamps for all the mounting points doesn't produce the most stable result
Old 11-19-10, 09:21 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Seriously flashy fenders here:

https://www.woodysfenders.com/store/

Old 11-19-10, 09:26 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I would get a fairly large piece of reflective tape, in white, like this.

I would put a rectangular panel of that, with perhaps a narrow stripe above and below, on the seat tube.

And I would cut a piece to fit the head tube, leaving the lugs exposed.

Then I would get two decals of the crest of my choice. My family doesn't have a crest, but my grad school had a nice one, which I would apply as a head badge and on the seat tube:

Other than that... blue handlebar tape. I have brand new blue tires, and even blue rims, if you want them... not sure why I have them!
Attached Images
File Type: png
Uni-Leiden-seal..png (25.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-19-10, 09:28 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
since this bike has no braze-ons for fenders, i would suggest using P-clamps, as i did on my trek 560. they're extremelt stable (haven't had to adjust them, ever, and there's no rattling/rubbing). i don't think they detract at all from the overall appearance, but i do agree with saphod beeblebrox that they might not be strong enough to support a rack.

trek:

i second velouria's suggestion on the SKS fenders; that's what i chose for my trek, although i think my trek is newer and i wanted something contemporary looking. for your bike i might also consider the VO 37mm fenders, if there is clearance. they are very classy looking on a road bike, in my opinion. i have them on my raleigh comp GS:

i would also follow some of the other suggestions, such as swapping out the bar tape for something orange-y or brown, like on my trek. you could also consider painting the lug shorelines in white or silver.
Old 11-19-10, 09:44 AM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts
It reminds me of the blue mink Raleigh Professional. I have seen nice examples with white bar tape, black saddle, and gum hoods. The VO 37 mm fenders on southpawboston's Raleigh might look nice on your bike, as well as a chrome rear rack, such as the VO Constructeur rack, but I don't know if it will mount on your frame.
Old 11-19-10, 10:04 AM
CharlesP

Bikes: '74 Ral SuperCourse II, '77? Ron Cooper, '82 Scapin Sprint?, '84 Ross Sig, '86 Voyageur, '86 Miy. 512, '87 Prologue, '87 Circuit, '91 MP21, '96? DeBernardi, '14 Dolan Mythos, Giordano Tandem, '18 Masi Alare.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like you've done a bit of cleanup work already. If you rescued the bike, kudo's! That there rust on the chrome brake parts ain't coming off, you'd have to beadblast and rechrome- big $$$. Outline the lugs (gold?), gum hoods, chrome headset, black in seatpost and crankarm flutes, brighten up with dark blue and brown, and yes, SKS fenders. Stay away from neons or bright colors to keep it vintagey-ish.
Old 11-19-10, 10:04 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Red bar tape and housing, aerolevers, polish up the components, and you are good to go.
Old 11-19-10, 10:06 AM
CharlesP

Bikes: '74 Ral SuperCourse II, '77? Ron Cooper, '82 Scapin Sprint?, '84 Ross Sig, '86 Voyageur, '86 Miy. 512, '87 Prologue, '87 Circuit, '91 MP21, '96? DeBernardi, '14 Dolan Mythos, Giordano Tandem, '18 Masi Alare.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Valve Caps

And since you have schraeder valves, blue dice or skull valve caps.
Old 11-19-10, 10:19 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
since this bike has no braze-ons for fenders, i would suggest using P-clamps, as i did on my trek 560. they're extremelt stable (haven't had to adjust them, ever, and there's no rattling/rubbing). i don't think they detract at all from the overall appearance, but i do agree with saphod beeblebrox that they might not be strong enough to support a rack.

i second velouria's suggestion on the SKS fenders; that's what i chose for my trek, although i think my trek is newer and i wanted something contemporary looking. for your bike i might also consider the VO 37mm fenders, if there is clearance. they are very classy looking on a road bike, in my opinion. i have them on my raleigh comp GS:

i would also follow some of the other suggestions, such as swapping out the bar tape for something orange-y or brown, like on my trek. you could also consider painting the lug shorelines in white or silver.
Sir, Your Raleigh GS is gorgeous or even better!

I am a newbie so bear with my question. What does the fenders do to/for the bike?
Old 11-19-10, 10:54 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
tgz, Move the brake cables to behind the bar and trim the rear brake cable housing for starters. Other than that, it looks nice and clean to me... Maybe silver or gray cable housing... Maybe an Elite water bottle cage(s).

Brad

Last edited by bradtx; 11-19-10 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-19-10, 11:02 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Force
It reminds me of the blue mink Raleigh Professional. I have seen nice examples with white bar tape, black saddle, and gum hoods. The VO 37 mm fenders on southpawboston's Raleigh might look nice on your bike, as well as a chrome rear rack, such as the VO Constructeur rack, but I don't know if it will mount on your frame.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-19-10, 11:05 AM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I retract my suggestions in favor of Veloria's -except I'm holding fim on staying fenerless and rackless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.