Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

There are no C&V sins

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

There are no C&V sins

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 12:14 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
There are no C&V sins

Every once in a while, a thread pops up asking whether it is a "sin" to do this or that to their C&V bike. The answer is always: No. It is your bike. You are allowed to do whatever you want to it.

The only exception I can think of is whether one thinks of their C&V bike as an investment they may want to sell later. If that's the case, as long as you don't make any permanent changes, you're good to go.

It's your bike. Enjoy it, for cryin' out loud.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-24-10, 12:22 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Well said.
Old 11-24-10, 12:28 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
/pulls out hack saw and goes to work on that pesky derailleur hanger on his chrome paramount.

/while he's at it, the frame is a bit too large, let's take a centimeter or two out of the head tube and seat tube.
Old 11-24-10, 12:40 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
^+1

Hacking parts off a vintage hi-end frame is just wrong. Sure, you own it, but do you really have to do that to it? I don't object to making it into a fixie or whatever; just don't do things that are irreversible.
Old 11-24-10, 12:44 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
if you hack up your bike you're going to piss off a LOT of people on the internet. Are you sure you really want to do that?

Old 11-24-10, 12:47 PM
bikegeekmn
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The same quandry is all over the auto industry with hot rodders and restorers.
So, make it a hot rod or restore it.
Use is what it's all about.
Old 11-24-10, 12:51 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
My former employer chopped up a '58 Vette to turn it into a drag racer, made me i'll.
Old 11-24-10, 12:54 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
No sins???....
https://www.lunt.demon.co.uk/obree/chrisandobree.jpg
The guy on the left is certainly looking very devilish with his "special" handlebar configuration!

....but then, I have seen a bunch of homeless guys around SF doing the same on their bikes.......maybe they know something we don't??

Chombi
Old 11-24-10, 01:14 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are no sins, but plenty of foolish decisions that will draw hatred from the bike community.
Old 11-24-10, 01:20 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I disagree:

(thread)

While this wasn't a PX-10 Mixte (if they exist) or some other rare French bike, it's still sinful in my book.

Anything that messes with the frame's integrity, ruins desirable lugwork or paint jobs, or ruins a bike's usefulness should be a sin. Also, letting a great and useable bike turn to rust propped up outside your house or in your shed should be classified as a sin.
Old 11-24-10, 02:07 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
The words "you own it, you can do whatever you like with it" don't sit well with me, even if they describe the legal situation accurately. I am inclined to think damaging and/or destroying objects of historical significance is, in its way, a crime against humanity. Obviously the level of the crime must be considered in proportion the the level of the object's historical significance, but the nature of the crime is the same either way. Given that the historical significance of any factory-made bicycle is practically nil, it is practically impossible to commit any great crime against humanity upon it; but if it were something of real significance, the potential is there.

Doohickie, here's a somewhat extreme case. Let's say I picked up a genuine Wright Brothers bike at a yard sale for ten bucks. It would now be mine to do as I want with it, right? Legally, yes, of course. But if I decided I didn't want a track bike with wooden rims, and decided to have proper Campy drops brazed in instead of the track ends, along with shifter bosses etc and a flashy repaint, then, don't you think that would be something akin to a sin? I do.

Grinding the derailleur hanger off a chrome Paramount? Oh, it's a silly thing to do, but let's not blow it out of proportion.
Old 11-24-10, 02:23 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I'd say the only "sin" is when the bike of a famous rider, is drastically changed.

For instance, if the Paramount that Lance Armstrong raced as a teenager, had its braze-ons removed, RD hanger clipped, was re-painted, and turned into fixie, I'd call that a "C&V sin."

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-24-10, 02:38 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
But if people want to do that to their bikes, it's their prerogative.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-24-10, 02:47 PM
prettyshady

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
No sins???....
https://www.lunt.demon.co.uk/obree/chrisandobree.jpg
The guy on the left is certainly looking very devilish with his "special" handlebar configuration!

....but then, I have seen a bunch of homeless guys around SF doing the same on their bikes.......maybe they know something we don't??

Chombi
The guy is Graeme Obree, who slumped over his handle bars like a downhill ski racer, see 35 seconds in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZU9cy4fjvg
Old 11-24-10, 02:47 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I tell you how to ride, set up, adjust, paint, customize, or restore YOUR personal bike??? NO... Your going to make those decisions for yourself. We all love C&V, but we don't personally own them all. I have a love for vintage Volkswagen's also, and when I see a baja bug I think to myself, Lame! But do I have control or any say over what the owner chooses to do with his or her car... None whatsoever.
Old 11-24-10, 02:58 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
The same quandry is all over the auto industry with hot rodders and restorers.
So, make it a hot rod or restore it.
Use is what it's all about.
Personally, I think the word "respect" needs to be included, in our appraisal of what we should, or should not, do to an old bicycle.

I agree with reversible modifications. I agree with cosmetic replacement when replacement is warranted. But I do not agree with destroying the original state of an old bicycle just because you happen to own it. In this case, the word destroy means irreversible modifications.

But that is just me. I will repair, but I do not modify, frame sets. I have, however, been known to over polish a component or two. Is that the same thing? Perhaps it is. Oh no:-(
Old 11-24-10, 03:06 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prettyshady
The guy is Graeme Obree, who slumped over his handle bars like a downhill ski racer, see 35 seconds in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZU9cy4fjvg
Ok, that's actually pretty neat.
Old 11-24-10, 03:15 PM
chi-james

Bikes: team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Every once in a while, a thread pops up asking whether it is a "sin" to do this or that to their C&V bike. The answer is always: No. It is your bike. You are allowed to do whatever you want to it.

The only exception I can think of is whether one thinks of their C&V bike as an investment they may want to sell later. If that's the case, as long as you don't make any permanent changes, you're good to go.

It's your bike. Enjoy it, for cryin' out loud.
Old 11-24-10, 03:56 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I have, however, been known to over polish a component or two. Is that the same thing? Perhaps it is. Oh no:-(
KHatfull, the De-struct-OR!!
Old 11-24-10, 04:15 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi

Chombi

they stick their 2-4 case between the upright turned drops for transportin'
Old 11-24-10, 04:18 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got grief for putting fenders on my Paramount by some people. I also put a rack on it and use modern panniers. I think that is the kind of "sin" Doohickie is talking about. I know a lot of people would keep a paramount cleaner looking this one is mine and I love riding it all the time.

Old 11-24-10, 04:20 PM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Since I don't plan to be buried with my bikes (or anything else I own, for that matter) they're not actually "mine". I'm just taking care of them for a while and our collective historical heritage is more important than my own selfish desires. When these things are gone they are GONE and that happens far too often for me to treat them as anything other than an endangered species. Literally... although at least the Kakapo can reproduce. But you wouldn't kill one of those, would you?

But, y'know, the Mona Lisa is just a painting and if the owner thinks it'll look better with a Manhatten skyline I guess it'd be okay.
Old 11-24-10, 04:22 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
It's a tough question that deserves thought. What one can do (or not) isn't the same as what one should do (or not).

I'd love to own an early '70's PX10, for example. But as configured from the factory it wouldn't be a good bike for me. I'd want to lower the gearing and swap out the Simple derailleurs, the tubular tires, maybe the saddle too. I could keep the parts, but if I never intended to sell the bike they'd just be collecting dust in a box. Now, if someone else had already done that then I'd consider owning. Otherwise I'll let a collector buy it. I don't want to do those things, especially if someone else went through all the trouble to restore it.
Old 11-24-10, 04:34 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe the word "sin" originates from an old archery term, meaning to "miss the mark" If so, yes there are certian ways in which you could "miss the mark" in remuddleing. Even if it wasn't a PX10, what happened to that blue Mixte was a sin. Sorry, got to call it what it is.
Old 11-24-10, 04:42 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That mixte is an extreme case. I think what the OP is talking about are minor cosmetic things, maybe a paint job. How about an old bike with modern components? or maybe a nice bike with a horrible, big gel saddle that is comfortable for its owner. I actually know of someone who owns a 60's cinelli with straight bars because he wasn't in the best of shapes and he needed something comfortable. is that a sin?

Last edited by elguicho; 11-24-10 at 04:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.