Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Road bike reccomendations for a 330 lbs clyde

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 08:23 AM
abstruse

Bikes: 2009 Trek 7.3 FX, 1980 Gazelle Sprinter Race, 2013 Koga Roadchamp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I've been riding my track 7.3 FX around for almost two years and i've lost close to a 100lbs by cycling and eating right.
The last couple of months i have been bitten by the cycling bug and í've been riding 500 to 600 km a month by commuting to work 4 times a week and weekend rides.
I really want to get a road bike for some more speed and climbing ability.
I'm looking for a bike with a "relaxed" geometry so nothing super aggressive.
I want at least a 105 or ultegra group on it.
Oh yeah i got short legs ;-) don't know if that matters.
I know i need a custom wheelset, my current bike also has one.

So what do you guys reccomend for a guy my size?
Old 03-31-14, 09:42 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I'm close enough to your size to comment ---- i am short and fat ---- I am using a carbon Synapse Cannondale . This weighs 17 pounds as pictured, but it goes a bit higher now , as i have installed 28c tires with a more supple casing , as well as my old favorite saddle (Selle Turbo) to replace the SLR butt wedge

I was going to comment that i have not had an issue with the stock Shimano 105 spec wheels on it, but i also do not put on as many miles as you , since i spend a lot of time mountain biking --- but i'd ride the stockers till they blew (if they blew)

I need to swap to wider bars - the stock 42's are cramping me, but the riding position is great , -- its sporty but not "too much" -- seat and bar tops are close to level ----

I havent always been uber heavy and have experience with the pure racers - my last bike was a Litespeed , -- but the carbon technology is great. They call the Synapse a "comfort bike", but its still the fastest bike i've ever ridden - truly a fun ride

I got it at a pretty killer closeout price or i would have held out for Ultegra or Dura Ace over the 105 -- the 105 shifting action will balk on occasion in situations where the 7 year old Dura Ace kit on my Litespeed sneezes at -- but then again , 105 is a 1/3rd the price too -----

so given my philosophy of not worrying about it until it fails -- its staying on for now --- if i can drop another 50 pounds, i may be in the market for another bike altogether anyway

Last edited by DMC707; 03-31-14 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 09:53 AM
abstruse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi DMC,

your bike looks awesome!
I'm a bit afraid sitting on carbon with my weight. My dad said no to buy a carbon, because when you crash you destroy the structural integrity of the frame.
What's your height and your framesize.
I'm 5'8 so i think i need a 54cm frame.

I feel a bit embarresed goin into a bikestore with my weight and trying different bikes.
I'm afraid they will not take me serious or that i break something.
There are not many clydesdales here in the Netherlands.
Lots of cyclists but al skinny as heck......
Old 03-31-14, 10:04 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Please do NOT be too embarrassed to go into a bike store. If they are anything less than supportive and encouraging, find another shop!!!!

There are dozens of posts about the reliability of carbon. Use the advanced search feature, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the read. That's a personal call that you can only make for yourself.

Welcome to BF.
Old 03-31-14, 10:14 AM
gabeham206

Bikes: 2012 Tarmac, 2016 Emonda sl5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm at 335lbs right now, and Have had a Carbon road bike for about a year with no issues at all with the frame itself. There's a few others around the same weight as us too, and they haven't had any problems either. I'm more worried about busting wheel spokes than anything on my bike, and that has yet to happen. Hope this helps!

And no need to feel embarrassed about going into bike shops. Be proud that you are taking the initiative to get exercise. All but 1 shop I've visited have been very supportive and helpful.
Old 03-31-14, 10:18 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my CAAD8 at 315lbs, it's not a relaxed geometry at all, but it handled my weight just fine. I did have to swap out the stock wheels for something stronger after a few hundred miles or so. Since you've already been riding for a couple of years, and are probably going to stick with it, you might be better off getting something a little more aggressive now, as opposed to upgrading later.

If you don't plan on racing, or being competitive, 105 should suit you just fine.
Old 03-31-14, 10:34 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
The Trek Domane, Giant Defy and Felt Z series are all very popular 'endurance' geometry bikes. All three come in an aluminum and carbon option as well as the full gauntlet of drivetrains (from Tiagra to Dura Ace).

We sell the FX at our shop (as well as the above mentioned bikes) and for most riders I see come through our doors the endurance geometry bikes I encourage them to ride are all very popular. As someone who I put close to 1500 miles on a carbon Domane in 3 months at 315 pounds, it held up just fine.
Old 03-31-14, 11:47 AM
abstruse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words and advice, that really means alot.
I just had some bad experiences with people making fun of me or not taking me serious because of my weight, so i'm a bit apprehensive to got to a shop.
Like the other day: in Holland you can get a tax reduction for buying a bike when you use it for 50% of your commutes. This is arranged via your employer. So i contacted HR that i was looking for a bike and asking if i could get a tax reduction. The HR lady didn't believe i was able to make the 30 km round trip bike commute. I finally ended up sending her a screenshot of my sportypal apps that states all my rides.
I felt so discouraged.
But i guess i just need to bite the bullet.

Anyone else with my weight have some good experiences with road/cyclo? bikes

p.s. i just checked out the Domane i really like it. Just need to sift through all the models......
Old 03-31-14, 12:04 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by abstruse
Hi DMC,

your bike looks awesome!
I'm a bit afraid sitting on carbon with my weight. My dad said no to buy a carbon, because when you crash you destroy the structural integrity of the frame.
What's your height and your framesize.
I'm 5'8 so i think i need a 54cm frame.

I feel a bit embarresed goin into a bikestore with my weight and trying different bikes.
I'm afraid they will not take me serious or that i break something.
There are not many clydesdales here in the Netherlands.
Lots of cyclists but al skinny as heck......

I am 5'9 and 300 --- I wear a 30" inseam in pants and that is the proper size, but when i was measured for a custom frame (measuring device jammed up against the pubic bone ) - i was close to 32 --

The frame size on that Cannondale is a 51, but its misleading a bit as it is a sloping top tube bike -- my "normal" road bikes are either 53 or 54 - and the 51 rides like a 53/54

The Specialized Roubaix is the same way ----

Cannondale also makes the Synapse in aluminum - same with Specialized and their Roubaix . IT saves a few bucks too, and they are also light

Personally, i wouldnt sweat the carbon issues --- i have been using a carbon Santa Cruz mountain bike for years and have crashed it with impunity -- it has gone through far more than my road bike ever will -- especially with a big guy at the helm ---

But --- another bike that is definitely "Clyde friendly " that i didnt mention but will point out is my wife's bike -- dont laugh at the pink bar tape , i have installed my pedals, raised the seat and borrowed this thing for hilly rides --- the compact crankset on the Cannondale is great for 80% of the places i ride, but occasionally i want a little more help --- the triple chainring is a real leg and lung saver on a climb, even if its slow

--- I don't think you could destroy this bike if you tried --- the stock wheels are kind of cheap looking, but they are burly , the seatpost is huge and the tube size is like a mountain bike's -- This is a Scott "womens specific" bike -- but the only differences between it and the men's bike is that stubby stem and short drop bars --- its very close in actual size to that Cannondale -- The parts are a notch or 2 below 105 spec stuff, but as little as she rides it, its no big deal

--- It looks kind of heavy, but in reality , it weighs 20.5 pounds --- about what my old DeBernardi race bike weighs -and it was never really considered a heavy bike

My comment about the DeBernardi segueways me into another idea --- if you can find an old warhorse like this , use a Nitto Technomic stem to get the bars a little higher, then add a more modern compact or triple chainring drivetrain, --- and you could have a pretty bulletproof cruiser that has a bit of retro style --- then when you get the weight down a bit --- those super light Dura Ace equipped carbon superbikes will still be calling your name

The Italian frames generally had top tubes just a bit shorter than British or American bikes and really take to making a comfy Clydesdale machine well

Old 03-31-14, 12:21 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
because when you crash you destroy the structural integrity of the frame.
depends how you crash and what you crashed into. If major crash, then any frame material will take a hit. Take something like a Caad10, the alum frame walls is thinner then what you would find w/ carbon such as their super6 or evo. I recently crashed my super6 at 32mph before locking up the brakes and going over the bars from the pile up in front of me racing. Bike was fine other then broken shifter and skidded out rear tire.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-31-14, 01:31 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
don't know the complete spec sheet (or even the price) but I know the soma ES comes in a complete build kit now

ES (Complete Bicycle) | SOMA Fabrications

room for 32c tires AND fenders, sram apex shifty bits on a fairly relaxed steel frame
Old 04-01-14, 03:31 AM
Dutch80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Abstruse, If you get the cold shoulder from one bike shop, then go straight to another one... About a year ago I walked into a LBS and somewhat loudly asked " I need to see your best salesman". I pulled that salesman aside and said "if you laugh, at least be quite about it so I can leave with some dignity." We shared a "quite" laugh as I asked him if he sold a bike that would hold my big butt.... He pointed me to several models that he thought would suit me... I bought a Hybrid Bike and rode it until about a month ago... Went from 373 to 268 (today)

My goal was to reward myself with a true road bike at 250#.... As you can tell, I jumped the gun by a few pounds and got an Endurance Road Bike a little early... The main reason was that my apprehension was relieved by the same kind of research you are doing right now... I'm not knowledgable enough to quote carbon make up numbers and ratings, but all the LBS seems to say in unison that unless you are looking at the lightest of the light and super stiff carbon high end model bikes, the middle to entry level carbon frames will hold up to a Clyde's weight....

The few months of shopping and research seemed to point me towards the Felt Z series... It just seemed to be the most bang for the buck... Best value Etc... Like mentioned above it comes in aluminum or carbon and an array of component selections to fit a broad range of budgets... It would take a whole new thread to tell the story of the deal it took to steer me away from the Felt Z5... (Entry level carbon). Suffice it to say I got a once in a lifetime deal on my current bike... It was GIVEN to me by a local Veterans Advocacy Group.... Like I said, that's a whole other story...

IMHO give that Felt or comparable carbon bike a good look.... Stand firm with your local bike shop on your seriousness in cycling and move on if it seems you're not being taken serious...

The carbon endurance configured bikes sure seem like the way to go for some folks... Comfortable, sporty enough for most us and priced to get folks involved with distance riding.. I can say with little experience now that the stories of carbon being smooth riding due to compliance is not overblown... It really is as smooth as advertised yet stiff on the lower end to feel noticeable acceleration when you push it... Which for me is about 20 seconds and I'm sucking wind.... Some call that interval training, I call it still being painfully out shape and weak legged.... Who knows, next year I'll actually be able to worry about power meters, watts and all that techno stuff I hear about....

Till then,

JUST RIDE CLYDE !!
Old 04-01-14, 07:01 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
p.s. i just checked out the Domane i really like it. Just need to sift through all the models......
Internet shopping is a great way to familiarize yourself with makes and models, but saddle-time is the ONLY way to determine which of those you like the ride of the best. If you buy it based on looks alone, you may really enjoy it, but you could be missing out on a bike that rides even better, or is more fun, speaks to you, etc.
Old 04-01-14, 07:50 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words and advice, that really means alot.
I just had some bad experiences with people making fun of me or not taking me serious because of my weight, so i'm a bit apprehensive to got to a shop.
Like the other day: in Holland you can get a tax reduction for buying a bike when you use it for 50% of your commutes. This is arranged via your employer. So i contacted HR that i was looking for a bike and asking if i could get a tax reduction. The HR lady didn't believe i was able to make the 30 km round trip bike commute. I finally ended up sending her a screenshot of my sportypal apps that states all my rides.
I felt so discouraged.
But i guess i just need to bite the bullet.

Anyone else with my weight have some good experiences with road/cyclo? bikes

What an unpleasant HR lady!!! Well, that or rather biased.

Glad you were able to show her proof!
I don't know the culture, but here that would be rather rude...

Hope that she was biased and you're showing her your data caused her to rethink things.

Regardless, Please re-think feeling bad about any of this. Please remind yourself that feeling bad is a way of discouraging your riding, but riding is a great way to be healthier... So on the contrary, something to feel good about...

If other people are buttheads, well, they have a problem with who they are...
It's easier to loose weight (if that's your goal) then to change yourself from a jerk to a decent human being.
Old 04-02-14, 06:32 AM
abstruse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your kind words, it makes me feel a whole lot more confident.
I decided to take some time researching and trying out new bikes instead of making a rushed decision.
I see al these beautifull bikes and i just want to buy them all ;-)
I think i need a coooling-off moment and regain some perspective about want i want and what i need.

The main reason i want a roadie is that, cycling on a roadie seems so effortless.
But i think this is also a weight issue of course. I see all these cyclist effortlessly zipping by everytime i ride my bike.
Also i hope hill climbing will become a bit easier, cause the bike is somewhat lighter.
But i guess i will find out when i do a test ride.......
Old 04-02-14, 09:06 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get either a Sala Vaya or a Surly Ogre with drops!
Old 04-03-14, 12:35 AM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first road bike was a Cannondale CAAD9. At the time I was about 340lbs. It's a little more towards the "race" side geometry wise, but I liked it. I liked it so much in fact I decided to bump it up to a CAAD10 with better components, which is what I'm riding now.
Old 04-03-14, 06:20 AM
abstruse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

I was talking with my dad about getting a road bike the other day and yesterday he called me that he had a little suprise for me.
He fixed up his old roadie so i could have a test for the road bike geometry.
I love this guy.

The bike is kinda retro, but i'm very happy with it :-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG-20140402-WA0000.jpg (72.4 KB, 27 views)