Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Anti-Brifter Club

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Anti-Brifter Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 04:10 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
The cheapest set of brifters that I have seen would cost more than the purchase price of any any bicycle that I own.

So I don't do that. I do think that having the shifter readily available is great, but barcons work for me.
Old 01-31-15, 04:21 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I want you all to know I am with you in spirit. Although I currently have 2 brifter bikes, I never rode one of them last year and the other only saw use once or twice. If I knew which, if any, Campagnolo (or maybe Sachs) shifter would give me good DT indexing w/ 9spd, I may consider replacing them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-31-15, 04:55 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Campagnolo Veloce 10-speed ergo brighter with Campy cables from Ribble in the UK: a bit over $80 on sale this weekend!
Old 01-31-15, 05:33 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I just realized that not only do I not own a bike with brifters, but I also don't have a bike with a freehub/cassette. All my derailleur bikes still have freewheels! Maybe I should start a 'Freewheels Forever' club....
Old 01-31-15, 06:13 PM
BillBraskey

Bikes: Safety Bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Post back when you're 57, have had 3 scopes and require knee replacement. Lots of leg strength left, just an absence of cartilage. I used to believe that fixed was good for the knees but now I'm not that sure.
No worries; just some good-natured ribbing. I am not such a snob to think that everyone should ride the same bikes with the same component groups on them. My cartilage problem is in the ankles; hence no more jogging for me.
Old 01-31-15, 07:06 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Two of my five functional bikes have thumb shifters, the other three have bar end shifters. I have two frames on deck waiting to be built out and they will get bar end shifters as well. I tried brifters once recently and could not get jiggy with shifting with a brake lever. Just did not feel right.
Old 01-31-15, 09:07 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by BillBraskey
No worries; just some good-natured ribbing. I am not such a snob to think that everyone should ride the same bikes with the same component groups on them. My cartilage problem is in the ankles; hence no more jogging for me.
No problem, we all wanted to be Henri Desgrange at one point.

Originally Posted by Lone
you would still need surgery if you had gears, because you would have been mashing large gears like eveyone else.
Like Big Mig said, push big gears, all the time. (or was that good drugs?)
Old 01-31-15, 10:26 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
I proudly own many bikes with "brifters" and will sit over here in the corner by myself. I will say, however, that I was recently riding one of these bikes after a couple of rides on my older bike and I "air shifted" by reaching for the down tube. Are you happy now?
Naw, you have no need of sitting alone. Check out the https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...i-s-ergos.html thread. 175 pages and going strong.
Old 01-31-15, 10:35 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I'm in! I have, um... 15? 17? (possibly more) bikes and have never owned a brifter. I've ridden three brifterized bikes owned by other people and none of them worked exactly right. Could be they just hadn't been dialed in yet?

However, I'm not prejudiced against them on principle. In my past and future travels to the exotic shores of Briftastan, STIosia, Ergoland and Briftervania, among others, I am always willing to go with whatever the welcoming, big-hearted locals embrace, as long as they are providing plenty of liquor.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 01-31-15 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 10:57 PM
wineslob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question to the members -- are you drawn to the older technology because you grew up with it and have always loved it, or is it an aesthetic connection, or something else?

Yes

Only one complete bike but I would NEVER give up my Campy DT shifters.

My story is that I needed a road bike in the weeks leading up to my first Ragbrai (2009) and was completely ignorant about road bikes. I found a nice '91 Bianchi Eros on Craigslist in the nick of time and bought it, not having experienced downtube shifters or toe clip pedals before. As an example of my ignorance about bikes, I only realized a couple of years later that it had "lugs."

Dear Lord, that's like dating women for most of your life and just now discovering they have BOObs.

Last edited by wineslob; 01-31-15 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 11:02 PM
ergillma

Bikes: Univega Activa Country

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have 2 bikes: one with downtube shift levers and one with "grip shifters." Can I join?
Old 02-01-15, 05:32 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Got one set of Shimano RX brifters. Left side doesn't work at all. Both need rebuilding.

I have no plans to mount them to any of the bikes in the basement, since bar-end shifters (with friction mode available on the fly) are what work for me. Yes, even on the mountain and utility bikes.

I'm not going to bust chops on anyone who likes brifters, though.
Old 02-01-15, 05:38 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ergillma
I only have 2 bikes: one with downtube shift levers and one with "grip shifters." Can I join?
I don't care if you own actual brifters. Just because someone has sinned, doesn't mean they can't come to church.
-After all, it's the spirit that counts, like @Bianchigirll said.

That being said, I'd sooner see a mushroom cloud rise up over my house than see a brifter inside it!

Old 02-01-15, 05:47 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Five Schwinns, all with down tube shifters; 2 indexed, 3 friction.
But I'm not a joiner.
What's with this "not a joiner" stuff, seeds?
The coach kicked me out of little league and my den mother kicked me out of cub scouts. Never phased me.
Old 02-01-15, 09:07 AM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
The Anti-Brifter Club is seeking new members! Do you currently own a bike with brifters--STIs, Ergos and such? If yes...sorry. You are not welcome. Does the 1' reach from the drops to the down tube seem a trivial distance? Do you appreciate the beauty of an unencumbered brake lever? Do you have to take your hands off the hoods to shift? Yes, yes, yes? Good. You are not alone. Come ride with us.

The Rules:
1. In order to be eligible to join the Anti-Brifter Club (hereafter "ABC"), you must not currently own a bike equipped with brifters, a.k.a. integrated shift levers, including but not limited to Campagnolo Ergo, STI, SRAM Double Tap, Kelley Take-Off Shifters, etc. Ownership of a bike equipped with bar-end shifters does not constitute ineligibility.

2. ABC Members agree to use best efforts to not be excessively haughty, derisive to the point of being antagonistic, unduly insulting, or blatantly condescending toward those wayward C&V brethren who are willing to besmirch their bikes with offensive gadgetry.

3. Current ABC members who subsequently purchase a brifter-equipped bike must report in this thread to announce their ineligibility and immediate termination of membership, to be followed by great public shame and wringing of hands.

4. Any ABC member found in possession of a brifter-equipped bike, shall have his/her membership immediately revoked.

5. All disputes pertaining to membership eligibility shall be decided by a majority vote open to all ABC members. The decision shall be based on replies received within 48 hours of a motion by an ABC member to dispute said eligibility.

6. Rules subject to change.

7. Membership is free. Benefits are priceless.

8. To gain membership in the Anti-Brifter Club, simply reply in this thread and claim to your eligibility. Introductions and descriptions of your bike collection encouraged.
Tough rules. I'm definitely not in because one of my vintage bikes is equipped with brifters (and I admittedly like them). I'm going to give DT friction another shot as soon as it warms up, as my winter project is an all-vintage Trek 950 racer.

However they're a bit too tough. For instance, my first ever road bike purchase was a Cannondale Carbon Synapse bike. Now it mostly collects dust.

Hypothetically-- let's say all of my other bikes were brifter free, and I was just left with the dust-collecting plastic bike. Would a picture showing the lonely bike sitting in the corner of my basement, collecting dust, be sufficient grounds for membership?

You see, plastic bikes have no resale value because people are afraid of whether or not its been crashed. So instead of selling, I hold onto it for some reason.

:-P
Old 02-01-15, 12:57 PM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
My stuff's too cheap: Three with downtube shifters, one with barcons, and the MTBSO has grip shifts.
Old 02-01-15, 01:16 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Let's start a toeclips only club, next.
Old 02-01-15, 05:09 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I almost went to brifters once, but realized that shifting both derailers with one hand on the downtube was just too damn cool to give up. I have heard that index shifting is starting to come on now! I don't believe in it, but I've heard rumors.

Marc
Old 02-01-15, 06:35 PM
LazyLegs

Bikes: 1989 Moser Leader Pro, 1978? Flandria, Batavus Professional AMEV, Gios Compact Pro, 1968? Frejus Tour de France, 1972 Peugeot Touring?, 1976 Flandria Tour?, 2013 Kuota Kharma, 2010 BeOne Raw, 2013 Kenesis Pro6, 2009 GT Aggressor, 2011 Trek Fuel Ex8.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To have an appreciation of old bikes is to be Romantic, to have a fear of new ones is to be a Luddite.

I'm all for saying a ride is friction shifters only or other stipulation, or even to have a club for members of such bikes where they can only be ridden on club spins, but it's going to the extreme to exclude people for dabbling in other interests outside of said club or organised ride.

Indexing, Brifters, and Compact cranks with ever expanding granny cog, all allow beginners to get a foothold in cycling and this can only be a good thing. It's certainly how I got started, not sure I'd have persisted beyond the first few rides if I had to learn how to keep the bike upright, while trying to contend with friction shifters and ride a 42/23 on the hills.

So modern developments have allowed more and more people into cycling, some of those, like me - will get curious about old bikes later on and help contribute to the vintage cycling culture and keep the bikes from gathering dust. So an appreciation for the past is an admirable thing, just don't get stuck in it - or you'll end up like the guy in the next generation back who you think is stuck in the past.

As for the comments about indexing not working, someone who can't turn a cable adjuster properly to set up their gears properly is no different than someone who can't trim a friction shift - they are both minor skills to be learned through practice and a beginners bad experience shouldn't write off either as a hopeless cause.
Old 02-01-15, 07:02 PM
RiseAlways

Bikes: 1970s Peugeot UO-8, 1980 Peugeot PXN10E "Super Competition", 1985-86? Miyata 610, 2012 Trek 3500 Mtn Bike, late 1800s project build/bike (will it ever get finished?..your guess is as good as mine! HA!),etc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I just realized that not only do I not own a bike with brifters, but I also don't have a bike with a freehub/cassette. All my derailleur bikes still have freewheels! Maybe I should start a 'Freewheels Forever' club....
I just realized I only had one with a cassette!...
I wouldn't run brifters If you gave me a top notch set for free!
Then again I'm not a fan of carbon either,.. I like my bikes with components that aren't ticking time bombs that will eventually explode and shatter....but that's just me.

Who knows, perhaps one day I'll own both carbon and brifters,..but for now I can't forsee a reason.

Last edited by RiseAlways; 02-01-15 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 07:06 PM
RiseAlways

Bikes: 1970s Peugeot UO-8, 1980 Peugeot PXN10E "Super Competition", 1985-86? Miyata 610, 2012 Trek 3500 Mtn Bike, late 1800s project build/bike (will it ever get finished?..your guess is as good as mine! HA!),etc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LazyLegs
So modern developments have allowed more and more people into cycling,.....
I don't understand....
What did anyone do before modern developments?

People will ride regardless of modern developments, the only thing that hampers someone is themselves.
Old 02-01-15, 07:18 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Let's start a toeclips only club, next.
I'm in.
Old 02-01-15, 07:19 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old 02-01-15, 07:26 PM
LazyLegs

Bikes: 1989 Moser Leader Pro, 1978? Flandria, Batavus Professional AMEV, Gios Compact Pro, 1968? Frejus Tour de France, 1972 Peugeot Touring?, 1976 Flandria Tour?, 2013 Kuota Kharma, 2010 BeOne Raw, 2013 Kenesis Pro6, 2009 GT Aggressor, 2011 Trek Fuel Ex8.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiseAlways
I don't understand....
What did anyone do before modern developments?
Yes, More in this case means greater than zero, rather than simply more than already existed.
Old 02-01-15, 07:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by wineslob
Dear Lord, that's like dating women for most of your life and just now discovering they have BOObs.

What can I say, life reveals new joys all the time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.