Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Home Inspectors....UGH !

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Home Inspectors....UGH !

Old 05-08-16, 07:20 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Home Inspectors....UGH !

People are human.
I know that.
I get that.
But.................
House inspectors are paid to look and see and report what they have seen.
So, how can a professional house inspector classify ceramic tile as "sheet floor covering??"
How can he caption a photo of 14" thick, R-30 to R-40 attic insulation as "Lost of insulation??" (typo, I know, but, C'MON!)
How can he state that he can find "no evidence of a building permit" for a re-roof when
a SIMPLE web search READILY shows the permit and all its specifics??

How can a termite inspector say that the house has "not been treated for termites" when a SIMPLE
inspection of the base of the walls at the slab CLEARLY shows holes having been drilled for
injection of chemicals to prevent termites?? Does he NOT know what he is looking for?

My house received pretty glowing recommendations from the home inspector, but, GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ,
some lenders and insurers can get really hung up on (pseudo) "deficiencies" such as these. Then, I gotta
run around to refute them.

I KNOW that they are human, but......C'MON, GUYS...........
Old 05-08-16, 07:39 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The inspection for this house a few years back had a couple of interesting misses (that weren't the end of the world, but might have been nice to know). Now, the house we sold in CA, that inspector was making stuff up. The demand for shower doors in a house that came with none was simply silly.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 05-08-16, 07:45 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do many homes inspections, as an Engineer, not a Home Inspection. There is a big difference in how we do home inspections and the home inspectors do it. Every one of my inspections is 100% custom to your home, while most home inspectors use a fill in form type of method to present their findings in a report style.
In New York, Home Inspectors do not have to show any special training, they just need to be good at advertising and networking with realtors and banks.
Also, as in any business, there are good and bad everywhere.
I'm sorry that you got a bad one, or at least one who didn't proof read their submittal.
Old 05-09-16, 10:35 AM
Ronno6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As to the kitchen floor, the inspection sheet has a box for "Ceramic," but he did not check that one.
Rather, he checked the one for "sheet goods!"
He even includes a picture from atop a roof that is not ours! Shingles and vent look the same, but the shape of
the perimeter is clearly not ours!

I guess he probably inspected other homes that day and got things a bit confused..............

Next up is the appraisal. I hope the appraiser is a bit more on the ball.
Old 05-09-16, 10:42 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6921 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 204 Posts
you buying/selling the house? why does it need inspecting? tax assessor?
Old 05-09-16, 11:22 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
I think in FL home inspectors don't have to be licensed, so they can be pretty much anybody off the street who claims to inspect homes for a living. We have had two on homes we were buying. The first was recommended by our realtor. He was okay. The second time we went with a national company. It seemed much more comprehensive.
Old 05-09-16, 12:31 PM
Ronno6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
you buying/selling the house? why does it need inspecting? tax assessor?
We are selling.
The buyers are pretty much required by the lender to have the home inspected and appraised.

Just makes good sense to know what you are getting anyway. (At least to the limit of the inspection.)

The inspector didn't even test or rate the Range, microwave, dishwasher, clothes washer or dryer.
And, there is no mention of the point of use water heaters we installed for instant hot water.
Harumph..........

Cash would have been so much easier..
Old 05-09-16, 02:05 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
We are selling.
The inspector didn't even test or rate the Range, microwave, dishwasher, clothes washer or dryer.
There we go. We moved in and the microwave was stone-dead and the oven only got up to about 230F. Neither were checked in the inspection.

The seller's realtor said "But I heated my lunch in that microwave all the time!"
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 05-09-16, 04:33 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6830 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
People are human.
I know that.
I get that.
But.................
House inspectors are paid to look and see and report what they have seen.
So, how can a professional house inspector classify ceramic tile as "sheet floor covering??"
How can he caption a photo of 14" thick, R-30 to R-40 attic insulation as "Lost of insulation??" (typo, I know, but, C'MON!)
How can he state that he can find "no evidence of a building permit" for a re-roof when
a SIMPLE web search READILY shows the permit and all its specifics??

How can a termite inspector say that the house has "not been treated for termites" when a SIMPLE
inspection of the base of the walls at the slab CLEARLY shows holes having been drilled for
injection of chemicals to prevent termites?? Does he NOT know what he is looking for?

My house received pretty glowing recommendations from the home inspector, but, GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ,
some lenders and insurers can get really hung up on (pseudo) "deficiencies" such as these. Then, I gotta
run around to refute them.

I KNOW that they are human, but......C'MON, GUYS...........
The inspector for the house I sold months ago had a number of items on the list, but the only thing the buyers jumped on was the routing of the main power cables into the house. These were routed by the local power company... it took an emergency call to get them to send a guy out, who laughed, then bent the wires a bit different and left.
Old 05-09-16, 05:16 PM
Ronno6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
The inspector for the house I sold months ago had a number of items on the list, but the only thing the buyers jumped on was the routing of the main power cables into the house. These were routed by the local power company... it took an emergency call to get them to send a guy out, who laughed, then bent the wires a bit different and left.
Thanks for the reminder.....ANOTHER obvious goof...he listed our electric service as overhead, when it is underground!
And the hits just keep right on coming........
Old 05-10-16, 03:01 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
It sounds to me as though the inspection was for another house entirely. There are just too many things that aren't right. Has this been suggested to the inspector? Or is the "glowing recommendation" to good to risk?
Old 05-10-16, 06:15 AM
Ronno6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
It sounds to me as though the inspection was for another house entirely. There are just too many things that aren't right. Has this been suggested to the inspector? Or is the "glowing recommendation" to good to risk?
Quite the majority of his report is accurate.
Almost all the pictures are of our house.
We are not going to jump thru any hoops nor rustle the bushes til we get a punch list from lender, insurer, or buyer.

It is just that the inaccuracies, regardless of significance, are annoying.
Old 05-10-16, 08:19 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6830 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Thanks for the reminder.....ANOTHER obvious goof...he listed our electric service as overhead, when it is underground!
And the hits just keep right on coming........
Wow, I think I might ask for an independent inspection from another inspector, and present that as a "rebuttal."
Old 05-10-16, 08:28 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

As Is sales skip that , I had a seller/friend who wanted to move back to california, 'cold most of the year' is what we call temperate climate.

Her Late mother's equity selling Fresno Property bought it (07 while bubble was inflated)
and did significant interior reconfiguration, borrowing against the house itself.

but then had an intrest only loan 2nd to keep on the payment treadmill .. (then at 60 lost her job)

I got it for $10K travel/ relocation money on top of buying her out of debt. (at the low dip in the market)

Title company people were un used to seeing the seller and buyer in the room at the same time, with out bank-lawyers involved.

.. working with the bank's money does complicate things..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-10-16 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 08:44 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
As Is sales skip that , .
The buyer does not give up his right to an inspection just because it's an as-is sale. They have the right to know the true condition of the property. You actually want the buyer to have an inspection because if something comes up later on they can't say that you hid the defect from them - they had their own inspector.
Old 05-10-16, 09:01 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Speaking just for myself, I already had a good idea.. took a little risk, but its been OK paid half of what 'Zillo' says it was valued at ..

1st built in 1900, but been altered enough over the years by past owners,
to not have historical building scrutiny that applied to lots of other Victorians around town.
Old 05-10-16, 09:13 AM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We sold my Mother's house - the old family home- last summer. It is part 1880s farmhouse and has had additions and improvements over the years. I grew up in it, my parents lived in it for 50 years. You would have thought it was going to collapse and give us all cancer and other diseases after reading the 45 page report from Mr. Doofus inspector. He rated all three staircases in the house as dangerous and should be removed and rebuilt. It went on and on and since there were 4 outbuildings (it was an old farmhouse) he really went crazy on those, never mind that nobody was going to live in them. He scared away the first buyer. The second buyer had renovated houses before and knew the score. They are quite happy.
Old 05-10-16, 04:31 PM
Ronno6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It is pretty much being sold "as is," with my liability for repairs capped at $500.00. Don't think we'll hit that...
I actually had the house inspected about 2 years ago by an inspector in training. His observations and findings were
considerably more accurate, but, as he was not yet licensed, his report could not be used.
It is always up to the buyer to have inspected.
Besides, FHA requires it...............
Old 05-11-16, 09:30 AM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My lender convinced their inspector to "require" repairs be made to the house as a condition of the loan. We had to get estimates to have the repairs done, then put 110%-125% of the estimate costs into an escrow account with the lender to ensure that the repairs would be made, then they hounded us to get them done quickly.

Granted, the repairs did need to be done, but there were other, more urgent items that needed fixing than the two items they chose. They had us fix drainage from the eaves in the back of the house, and fix rotted wood around the back door. We replaced the entire door (which we were going to do anyway), and had pseudo-french drains installed (downpipe was routed to 4" diameter PVC running underground to an exit point downhill from the house). What they didn't care about was the Federal Pacific electrical panel, the rotting wood under the eaves in the front of the house, or the poor drainage from the eaves in the front of the house, all of which we also repaired on our own.

It just pissed us off, and my realtor and her property assessor husband, that the lender forced the inspector to overstep his bounds. The inspector should just list the condition of the property, not make recommendations as to what needs to be fixed.
Old 05-12-16, 06:16 AM
Ronno6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We are awaiting the punch list from lender and/or insurer. I don't forsee any of the deficiencies as being terribly expensive.
I am just more concerned by the inaccuracies of the report, though I do not believe any of them to be important.
Old 05-19-16, 11:00 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides, FHA requires it...............
Unless it is a recent change, the FHA does not, as I have an FHA loan and did not get an inspection('08). Compared to the last inspection I had done I came to the conclusion that for a basic inspection I probably knew about as much as they did, and a whole lot more thorough and willing to spend the time to check things out myself.
Old 05-19-16, 11:09 AM
Ronno6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew View Post
Unless it is a recent change, the FHA does not ,
Well, perhaps I misspoke then.
It is the buyers' right to inspect.
Insurance requires a 4 point inspection (roof,HVAC,plumbing and electrical.)
There is also a wind report as the house is in a hurricane zone.

FHA requires an appraisal, done with electricity and water on.
That was performed this week.
Now, we await results and the (hopeful) closing.
Old 05-25-16, 09:35 AM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most states do NOT require licensure of home inspectors. Anyone who can convince someone to hire them can call themselves one. There is a national certification process for home inspectors, and although I personally have never used one, I understand that it's worth the extra expense to find a certified home inspector.
Old 05-25-16, 02:51 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
15 yrs ago during zany real estate boom inspectors and appraisers were under pressure to rubberstamp whatever the realtors were sending them at risk of being blackballed.

Lots of appraisers produce estimates for tracts based purely on online comparisons. Inspectors might do the same thing, not pay a bunch of attention to things that deviate from what a tract seems to have.

Inspectors do seem to have aspects of networking and multilevel marketing about them, it seems a little weird to me from the outside.

We have bought 2 houses both >100 yrs old and we went through with the inspector (and seller) and talked through everything as we went so we all knew what the reports were going to say before they were written (or, yeah, filled in on ready-to-go forms).

A good inspector did save us from buying one colossal moneypit.
Old 07-12-16, 07:54 PM
Ronno6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well, it's FINALLY over......done......SOLD !!
After 2 missed closing dates and 2 extensions, we own only 1 house!

After sitting on the appraisal for a month, the initial lender didn't like the it.
Not the appraisal value mind you. That was plenty high enough.
But, due to the rural location, the lack of "comps" made the appraiser cover his butt by
stating that his number was just a guess, and he had no confidence in the valuation.
He even stated that he would not recommend the loan due to its questionable marketability to the secondary market!
I mean, what a crock !!!
So the loan was sourced with a "portfolio lender," who would service the mortgage for its life
instead of selling it.
It flew thru underwriting and just needed a copy of the survey for approval.
Survey, hmm.............nobody ever ordered the survey !! (much finger pointing going on there...)

However, closing was yesterday, and all went as planned.
HOORAY !!!!!!!
Now, only 1 house !!!!!
And, GOODBYE, FLORIDA !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.