Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New treads or bad luck?

Old 07-14-17, 04:56 PM
CircleofOne

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX 2016

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New treads or bad luck?

I've been having some problems with flats lately. I can't afford to go often to the LBS to buy new tubes, so when I get a flat I do all I can to patch it and keep it going as long as possible. This week my main tube and my spare both went out, each having 2-3 patches already (was too frustrated to look for further leaks at this point). I didn't find any punctures or debris, so I'm not sure exactly what happened, but on to the question.

Is it worth investing in some tougher treads? Currently I have the Bontrager H2 hardcase lites that's came on my Trek 7.2. Riding at about 310lbs currently. Is this just an issue regardless of tread? The area I'm riding is all bike lanes in suburbs, occasional glass hazards but not terrible.

Thanks for your insights!
Old 07-14-17, 05:57 PM
dagray 

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I was having pinch flats, and so I switched over to tubeless tires. I still carry a spare tube as in a pinch I can put a tube in and get home. I prefer the Maxxis Padrone in 700x25mm (they make some wider).

I am 350 pounds and 6'3" tall.
Old 07-15-17, 12:50 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Nothing wrong with patching tubes.
It's hard to advise since you don't know why you're getting flats.
Puncture protected tires will only help if you're getting punctures from road debris.
Old 07-15-17, 03:58 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Maximize the pressure, based on tire recommended pressure, to avoid pinch flats.
Old 07-24-17, 03:44 PM
WOT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What pressure do you typically run?
I have those tyres and run 'em at 90psi front and rear.
Old 08-01-17, 04:58 PM
CircleofOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the replies, sorry for the delayed response. The flats are definitely coming from road debris. The bike lanes here are just not cleaned regularly, so it's a crapshoot of hitting bits of broken glass bottles or nails or whatever. So far it's always been my rear tire, guessing because the majority of the weight is there.

I'm using 95psi front and back.

To my knowledge these factory tires are already puncture proof, so I wonder if trying some of the reputable other treads would really make a difference?
Old 08-01-17, 05:54 PM
CircleofOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was patching my tube until the seam blew, and my spare had a phantom leak I couldn't find. So I tried the Slime self-sealing tubes, had a great ride until the very end and hit another object that punctured it. Now the slime starts to leak out when I hit around 75 psi, making me think it's a gash instead of a small puncture. Oy!

Continental gator hardshells are what I have pulled up right now browsing around
Old 08-01-17, 05:55 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Try some tubes with sealant in them. If money is tight, buy a tube of sealant and next time you get a puncture, inject some sealant in through the hole before you patch. The only sucky thing is if you do finally get a flat, you need to thoroughly clean the sealant off with solvent before a patch will stick.
Make sure you buy tubes that are as close too, or very slightly bigger than your tire. That way the tube won't be stretched, which helps the slime seal the hole.