Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

No longer LCF

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

No longer LCF

Old 07-29-19, 05:21 PM
onyerleft

Bikes: All of your bicycles are belong to me

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No longer LCF

After 5 1/2 years, I just fell off the LCF wagon. But it's not as bad as it sounds. I bought a Tesla Model 3. And I only bought it because I can't ride in most of the Summer anyway due to smoke invasion in my area. So I hope, with your kind indulgence, that I am still accepted as being in the LCF club, albeit on an honorary basis.

Sincerely,
onyerleft,
LCF Emeritus
Old 07-29-19, 06:24 PM
linberl

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft View Post
After 5 1/2 years, I just fell off the LCF wagon. But it's not as bad as it sounds. I bought a Tesla Model 3. And I only bought it because I can't ride in most of the Summer anyway due to smoke invasion in my area. So I hope, with your kind indulgence, that I am still accepted as being in the LCF club, albeit on an honorary basis.

Sincerely,
onyerleft,
LCF Emeritus
Others may disagree but I consider the Tesla sort of a fancy electric bike with seats, lol, so you're okay with me.
Old 07-29-19, 07:38 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Y

Sincerely,
onyerleft,
LCF Emeritus
I, and the wife bought a Prius C... and think the same way... 62 MPG average for the whole 6 years we had it... I actually concider it TOTALY "free" compared to driving my truck the same amount of KMs, Nay, I am $1,000. to $2,000 ahead of the game every year...

Last edited by 350htrr; 07-29-19 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 07-29-19, 07:39 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by linberl View Post
Others may disagree but I consider the Tesla sort of a fancy electric bike with seats, lol, so you're okay with me.
Fancy... It is certainly that...
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 07-30-19, 08:25 AM
johann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not to sound preachy (in other words gonna sound preachy because gonna use the word “but”).... but, sometimes folks seem to see electric cars and autonomous vehicles as a solution to a fuzzily defined “car problem”. Electric cars do nothing to eliminate the vicious cycle of continuing to build massive roads and highways as a solution to congestion. (Nararator: “Its not”)

[/preachy_mode]
Likes For johann:
Old 07-30-19, 09:24 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by johann View Post
Not to sound preachy (in other words gonna sound preachy because gonna use the word “but”).... but, sometimes folks seem to see electric cars and autonomous vehicles as a solution to a fuzzily defined “car problem”. Electric cars do nothing to eliminate the vicious cycle of continuing to build massive roads and highways as a solution to congestion. (Nararator: “Its not”)

[/preachy_mode]
THIS. And also the fact that Tesla's and Prius' at the end of the day are still CARS. They utilize purely automotive engineering and sub-systems and weigh upwards of two tons, and their usual payload weights under 200lbs! That is unsustainable regardless of the powersource! When personal transportation starts utilizing bicycle technology and an all weather LEV starts to weigh in the neighborhood of <500lbs. for a 200lb. payload ... maybe. All that is definitely true, but people will be buying Tesla's and Prius' for the foreseeable future. Most won't post on a bicycle forum's LCF forum and ask for dispensation. Most wouldn't expect it. The o.p. expects it because they well know that most LCF advocates are just one paycheck away from falling off the LCF wagon. Well they won't get any from me. Enjoy your Tesla. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle. Be safe. Live long and prosper. But LCF you ain't. Handle it.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 07-30-19 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 02:37 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
You are no longer LCF. However, nobody thinks less of you.
Likes For cooker:
Old 07-30-19, 02:54 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
...because they well know that most LCF advocates are just one paycheck away from falling off the LCF wagon.
Sorry, I don't get that. Aren't many people more likely to be one paycheque (Canadian spelling) away from falling onto the LCF wagon - ie. losing their car?
Likes For cooker:
Old 07-30-19, 02:55 PM
Bandera 
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 93 Posts
Did you turn in your hair-shirt?

-Bandera
Old 07-30-19, 06:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
...So I hope, with your kind indulgence, that I am still accepted as being in the LCF club, albeit on an honorary basis.
I have no issues with anyone who is currently LCF, was LCF at one time, wants to be LCF and in search of advice, is car-light, rents cars, owns cars they rarely drive, or in any way somewhat disassociated with the love affair with motor vehicles.

Just one negative paragraph however: The production of car/bike batteries, and the disposal of the spent ones, is not environmentally friendly. And they don't operate on Pixie-dust. Good for you if your Tesla is 100% powered by solar, wind, or hydroelectric dam. FYI, I am not a huge fan of electric bicycles either. If it has a motor, it is a motor vehicle, motorcycle, car, truck, bus, whatever.

^^This is the last negative thing you will hear from me here. You are always welcome in my book if you were ever car-free. Look forward to your future input on the SWEET CAR!

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-03-19 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 07:47 AM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Here in the Philippines I live on the edge of the metro Cebu area. Basic transportation is actually easier and faster on a bicycle. Owning any sort of motor vehicle would require some sort of long term visa, (school, work, marriage). No thank you, I'll stick with bike and hire somebody if I ever need hauling.
Old 07-31-19, 09:16 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 65 Posts
After 5 1/2 years, I just fell off the LCF wagon.
Same here - also after 5 1/2 years.

The bicycle will continue to be my main form of transportation as it has been for the past decade. I've really not driven much for transportation in the past 20 years, and I see no good reason to start now. I also guess my SO is technically car free, and hasn't even had a license in quite some time.

That said, the cargo van sure has been helpful for cleaning out the house and making repairs. We're moving from Wisconsin to North Carolina for a year (one year job gig for me), then back to Wisconsin. Or maybe somewhere else. I intentionally got a vehicle that isn't meant to be a daily driver; rather, its purpose is to move large items (like bikes and music gear). There's actually no housing near the job site, and transit doesn't go there, so it's not a bad idea to have a backup (since we know absolutely nobody where we're moving).
Old 08-04-19, 07:19 PM
farmerjg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
I have no issues with anyone who is currently LCF, was LCF at one time, wants to be LCF and in search of advice, is car-light, rents cars, owns cars they rarely drive, or in any way somewhat disassociated with the love affair with motor vehicles.

Just one negative paragraph however: The production of car/bike batteries, and the disposal of the spent ones, is not environmentally friendly. And they don't operate on Pixie-dust. Good for you if your Tesla is 100% powered by solar, wind, or hydroelectric dam. FYI, I am not a huge fan of electric bicycles either. If it has a motor, it is a motor vehicle, motorcycle, car, truck, bus, whatever.

^^This is the last negative thing you will hear from me here. You are always welcome in my book if you were ever car-free. Look forward to your future input on the SWEET CAR!
Very well said Joey. And an astute observation about the pixie dust. I was with some guys this weekend who work for their cities power and light company. They were actually commenting how they love EV's because it helps balance nighttime load on their grid. They use exclusively coal fired boilers. Sometimes your dammed if you, dammed if you don't.
Old 08-04-19, 07:34 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by farmerjg View Post
Very well said Joey. And an astute observation about the pixie dust. I was with some guys this weekend who work for their cities power and light company. They were actually commenting how they love EV's because it helps balance nighttime load on their grid. They use exclusively coal fired boilers. Sometimes your dammed if you, dammed if you don't.
Some of us actually live where the Electricity is produced by hydro, or, oh my god solar...How forward thinking IS that... ???
Old 08-05-19, 01:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9213 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Sorry, I don't get that. Aren't many people more likely to be one paycheque (Canadian spelling) away from falling onto the LCF wagon - ie. losing their car?
I guess his theory is that the initial acquisition cost is what is keeping many people car free. The first of two cars I have ever bought (I am 54 now.) required relatively little in the way of maintenance during its 18 years of life. Someone totaled it while it was parked. Had just over 108,000 miles on it. And those miles were racked up by two regular users and one infrequent user.
Old 08-05-19, 08:02 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by farmerjg View Post
IMO, the answer was the Geo Metro, and other cars like it. But we opted for SUVs and monster trucks instead. Burning gasoline in a small, light, fuel efficient car is an extremely efficient way to move a few people around. Especially if your power plant is coal or oil powered. The power plant burns the efficient fuel to produce electricity that looses ground every mile it gets pumped through miles of wires or transformed at substations, poles, and homes. If the power generators run on fossil fuels, the electric car owner is just avoiding getting the blood on his/her hands. Then add in the nightmare of battery manufacturing and disposal.....
Old 09-07-19, 06:58 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
Same here - also after 5 1/2 years.

The bicycle will continue to be my main form of transportation as it has been for the past decade. I've really not driven much for transportation in the past 20 years, and I see no good reason to start now. I also guess my SO is technically car free, and hasn't even had a license in quite some time.

That said, the cargo van sure has been helpful for cleaning out the house and making repairs. We're moving from Wisconsin to North Carolina for a year (one year job gig for me), then back to Wisconsin. Or maybe somewhere else. I intentionally got a vehicle that isn't meant to be a daily driver; rather, its purpose is to move large items (like bikes and music gear). There's actually no housing near the job site, and transit doesn't go there, so it's not a bad idea to have a backup (since we know absolutely nobody where we're moving).
Just where in NC you plan on putting down for a year?
Old 09-08-19, 02:12 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow View Post
Just where in NC you plan on putting down for a year?
We are in Durham
Old 09-08-19, 07:58 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
IMO, the answer was the Geo Metro, and other cars like it. But we opted for SUVs and monster trucks instead. Burning gasoline in a small, light, fuel efficient car is an extremely efficient way to move a few people around. Especially if your power plant is coal or oil powered. The power plant burns the efficient fuel to produce electricity that looses ground every mile it gets pumped through miles of wires or transformed at substations, poles, and homes. If the power generators run on fossil fuels, the electric car owner is just avoiding getting the blood on his/her hands. Then add in the nightmare of battery manufacturing and disposal.....
Certainly is a better method ( a small compact car) than these 1 ton trucks being used as a car...

While you do have a bit of a point of the electric vehicle just passing on their pollution in a different way... As an owner of a Prius C that gets 60 to 68 MPG "CANADIAN gallons.".. and at the end of the day, looking at the numbers per tank 36L tank,and it says that 25-30% of my whole 800Kms of driving that vehicle per tank was done with the ICE not running That, is a HUGE benefit in the end, as far as using gas/diesel or electricity... Imagine, everyone using 25-30% less gasoline/diesel, to got the same distance... WOW, and that number is using my Prius C fuel numbers, when compared to my 3/4 diesel truck, Using the same amount of diesel I would manage to get about 143Km/Tank of 36L driving it the same amount of Km, (800) it would cost me 5.6 X the fuel, I can and do own my Prius C, COMPLEATELLY FREE, even tho I pay 385$ per month to own it, and I mean completely free, including payments/fuel/insurance/ compared to driving my truck as the primary vehicle for the same amount of Km a year...

228Km in my truck compared to 800Km for the same amount of fuel in my Prius C... WOW,... Like I said, my Prius is a free vehicle... compared to driving my truck the same amount of Km...

Last edited by 350htrr; 09-09-19 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Fix numbers Km compared to miles...
Old 09-10-19, 09:16 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
...25-30% of my whole 800Kms of driving that vehicle per tank was done with the ICE not running ...
Yeah, that is a good point. Another trick you can use to save money with any motor vehicle is to only fill the fuel tank half full for running around town. Fuel has a lot of weight and it takes extra energy to get it moving.