Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Model confirmation for informed offer

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 10-07-18, 12:14 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Good morning!
I've been bitten by the biking bug, and have the fortune of living near the Ohio to Erie trail. I'm looking for a lighter feeling road bike, but I'm drawn to vintage bikes. A local Craigslist ad listed a Bianchi road bike, $200. I passed it over a few times because it's a black frame with gold decal. I went through and eliminated the Japanese-built entry frames from the meager local offerings and looked at this bike more closely. I'm convinced it's a Canadian Campione D'Italia from 1987 based on posts to this very forum in January 2010. The bike has a Modolo Start brakeset, Ofmega master rear derailleur, what looks like an Ofmega anodized chainring, Ambrosio wheels, and what the seller described as Columbus Tubing. From the color of the sticker, it looks like a Bianchi Special formula II Tretubi. He says he got the bike 3 years ago, and he thinks it's an early 80's model. The paint and components have more than a few dings. I'm too new to this to know maintenance costs on older frames, but it might need an overhaul. I'm going to check the fit on Monday, and since I don't need a bike, I could sit around to see what else comes up.

I'd love to post pictures or the link to the images, but apparently I'm too new.
Old 10-07-18, 05:08 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 78 Posts
Formula II tubing is a later Ď80s tubing set. The components certainly make it sound like a Campione de Italia

you cant post pics until you have ten post. You can go to general forum and introduce yourself a few times to get or or you can email me a few pics and Iíll post them. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com
Old 10-07-18, 07:03 AM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pictures

Old 10-07-18, 08:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 467 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 140 Posts
In the end, the model is irrelevant. What's important are the components, tubeset and condition. Having said that, the celeste coloured decal indicates Italian manufacture using Bianchi Special, Formula One or Formula Two tubing.This places it 1985-1988, but the decal style eliminates 1988 and the Gipiemme dropouts eliminate 1985. The lack of a Campione del Mondo decal suggests 1986 but there have been cases where this decal has been missing on known 1987 models. So, we are down to Formula One and Formula Two tubesets.

The Modolo Start brakes were a lower end model and known spec on the Camapione d'Italia, so it probably is Formula Two and likely the tretubi version. The Ofmega Master was known spec on the Canadian issue Cd'I during this era. While the Master is a decent derailleur and outperforms Campagnolo offerings of the era, it and the other second tier Italian components don't carry the same prestige or value. The bicycle would be considered low mid-range.

Cosmetic condition is only fair. It's dirty with lots of paint chips and scratches. The bicycle is poorly set-up, has non-OEM saddle, pedals and bar tape. Unless, you have appropriate shoes for clipless pedals you will have to invest in new pedals. The brake lever hoods are missing and another investment. The overall mechanical condition is suspect given the cosmetic condition and at least the chain is obviously worn, based on the visible gaps between the links and chainring.

If you have passed over it a few times and it's still available , it's likely priced high for the market. I'd definitely want to confirm the tubeset and give it a complete mechanical inspection before I pulled the trigger on this one. It could quickly turn into a money pit.
Old 10-07-18, 10:38 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

How kind!

I'm grateful that you took the time to look up the posting and post the photos for me, marius.suiram. Bianchigirl, I'm grateful for the offer.
That's definitely the post. There's only time invested by going to look at it, but I'll keep your caveats in mind, marius. I'm looking for a rider, not a bike to flip, but if the condition is too much I can wait around for a newer alloy bike. Thankfully, I can accept less than like new condition if it's mostly cosmetic.
I could potentially learn a lot taking it apart to clean. I'm curious as to how the seller arrived at his number.
Old 10-07-18, 03:16 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
I'm grateful that you took the time to look up the posting and post the photos for me, marius.suiram. Bianchigirl, I'm grateful for the offer.
That's definitely the post. There's only time invested by going to look at it, but I'll keep your caveats in mind, marius. I'm looking for a rider, not a bike to flip, but if the condition is too much I can wait around for a newer alloy bike. Thankfully, I can accept less than like new condition if it's mostly cosmetic.
I could potentially learn a lot taking it apart to clean. I'm curious as to how the seller arrived at his number.
I wouldn't worry about whatever logic the seller used to price the bike. It's irrelevant, and it could simply be "Hey, it's a Bianchi, they're worth plenty I hear, I'll ask $200." Many of us here have offered half the asking price, or even less, when we're looking at bikes that haven't been well maintained and may have a lot of issues. The seller may get indignant, or they may say "fine." Do take some hex wrenches when you go to look at it and make sure the seat post and the stem can be moved. If either one is seized, it could be a major issue, and immediately slashes the value of the bike dramatically. Look carefully at the rims, for any cracks either along the edges, or at each spoke nipple (if they've been overtightened they start to pull through). This could make a nice rider, but it's going to take a fair amount of effort, and some $, to get it there, just based on what we see in those photos.
Old 10-07-18, 03:31 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube, M Alloy Pro, Sprint 76; Amp Research B4; Colnago Crystal; Klein Pulse; Litespeed Catalyst, Fondriest Squadra Corse

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 47 Posts
It's interesting to me, that so many on the C&V forum are ready to fix up these old bikes and ride them as they are, with the original (and sometimes what looks like parts-bin) drivetrains and brakes and wheels, fixing and repairing what is there. It's fantastic, really!

Because I see this bike and all I see is the frame, maybe the handlebars and stem. Everything else would go and be replaced completely - and about 500eur later I'd have a new modern "everything else but the frame". Never looking for a profit to be made of course! But you'd have a lovely bike that'd ride beautifully and would look the business too. To me, that'd be the ideal end result for someone looking to create a dependable and lovely bike for themselves, something you couldn't possibly achieve with a shop-bought bike.
Old 10-11-18, 09:56 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

I passed on it. There was a 1995 Trek OCLV 5200 on the market with cleaner paint, and all original components except the stem and handlebars. That shall be my go-fast bike providing enough contrast from my heavy commuter.
Old 09-10-19, 01:44 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

This bike is still out there. With a price increase!