Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bike Flipping 101

Old 08-17-19, 03:19 PM
RobRees

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Working on new member posts
Old 09-12-19, 04:21 PM
gorideabicycle

Bikes: 1982 Puch, 1987 Trek 560, 1987 Trek 400t Elance, 2013 Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been flipping bikes for years as a hobby, and to fund my cycling obsession... It certainly takes time to find out what bikes are worth your time, and at what price point.

Often I will buy a bicycle just to harvest the parts and sell on eBay. If you are able to identify the components from the photos in the listing, you can search them on eBay and narrow the results to only "Sold Items". That way you can see past selling data and get an estimate of worth.

Just browse Craigslist every day, make a couple buys, and learn from mistakes! That's how I learned to wrench on bikes six years ago.
Old 09-19-19, 04:14 PM
alexihnen 

Bikes: Raleigh SBDU 753, De Rosa Primato, Trek 170, Tommasini Super Prestige, Puch UltimaSL, LeMond Zurich, Cannondale Slate, CAAD12

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Starting ride/flip

I’ve recently started looking at local listings and found some relative bargains. Sweet spot seems to be bikes that aren’t rare, but popular 80s-90s bikes in great shape. They’re old enough to have people nostalgic for them, but never big money - think carbon tube/lugged frames, Shimano Sante bikes, etc. I’m sure I’ll be back here for advice now and again.
Old 09-20-19, 07:37 AM
Nahuel_B58
CoasterBraker

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Found this one listed for about 30 dollars, does anyone know which model it is? I'm thinking it could be an Agressor. Owner says it's made of alluminium but it seems like it's steel. Needs some bar handle's, new seat and front tyre is flat. It seems to have the original shifters/brakes.
Old 09-22-19, 06:49 AM
jdawginsc 

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, Faggin Matrix thingy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by gorideabicycle View Post
I've been flipping bikes for years as a hobby, and to fund my cycling obsession... It certainly takes time to find out what bikes are worth your time, and at what price point.

Often I will buy a bicycle just to harvest the parts and sell on eBay. If you are able to identify the components from the photos in the listing, you can search them on eBay and narrow the results to only "Sold Items". That way you can see past selling data and get an estimate of worth.

Just browse Craigslist every day, make a couple buys, and learn from mistakes! That's how I learned to wrench on bikes six years ago.
Very cool function I never knew about!
Old 09-23-19, 02:35 PM
GVH

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobRees View Post
Working on new member posts
Doing the same
Old 09-26-19, 01:41 AM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Seller Beware...

I posted this in Appraisals and now realize that it should have gone here.
From some of the replies and postings in that Forum it appears that my experience was not unique.
The same sort of thing has happened to a few other veteran flippers elsewhere so its not just Toronto !

-------------------------------------------------------

Seller BEWARE:
If you are selling a bike in Toronto please read this. I live about 50k (32 miles) east of Toronto. A little while ago a guy replied to an ad I had on CL or Kijiji for a decent Italian road bike I had for sale. He took it around the block for a test ride and brought it back with the chain jumping erratically off the rear sprockets and the rear derailleur banging. He insisted that he still wanted to buy the bike.... but at a drastically reduced price. I was suspicious because I had ridden the bike before he arrived and it was OK then.

I checked the chain and found that two or three of the pins had been pushed partially through the chain with a chain tool, enough to foul on the next bigger sprocket in the cassette. He told me I was pretty smart to catch that and that he can usually knock about 1/3 of the asked price off a bike with that trick !!.
I got the impression that he buys a lot of good used bikes around Ontario and maybe even further afield to re-sell in Toronto but I do not know the name of his shop or business (and even if I did I would not post it here because it would be his word against mine).

After I caught the problem and fixed it he offered full price but I did not sell him the bike.
He had a couple of bikes in his vehicle already and left my place without the bike - probably to "check out" more bikes in the area.

Binky
Likes For Binky:
Old 09-26-19, 06:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 440 Post(s)
Quoted: 5684 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 178 Posts
Jeez, never heard of that scam!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-27-19, 05:45 PM
gorideabicycle

Bikes: 1982 Puch, 1987 Trek 560, 1987 Trek 400t Elance, 2013 Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eye out for that scam in the Seattle area.
Old 10-08-19, 05:39 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Team Fuji, Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
After flipping bikes for a year, I can make a few observations. Remember, most of my bikes are what I would call mid-level or upper low level bikes like Peugeot, Motobecane, Fuji, Nishiki, Univega, Miyata, Trek, and a few Schwinns, mostly from the 80s.

My biggest market is people looking for a decent road bike without spending a ton of money. They aren't all that interested in the "vintage" aspect. The sweet spot seems to be bikes in the $150-$185 range. Very few sell for more than $200. These folks want a bike that is road ready, not a fixer-upper. Clean and functioning well. On average, I tend to double my money on these bikes by buying ones with good bones for a low price, that just need a few basic items. I also buy a few parts bikes, either to part out or for use fixing up another bike.

Bikes that sell for more than $200 tend to sit a looooong time, at least for me. It's a small market of afficionadoes that wants them. And I suspect that market will continue to get smaller.

Just my 2 cents.