Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how to get a GF into cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

how to get a GF into cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 06:59 AM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and thanks for all the advice. She has started riding more and it's a shame that winter just hit here. On the bright side SHE suggested getting a trainer while I just thought I'd use the treadmill
Old 11-02-09, 07:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
not sure about your level of fitness but walking can help lose weight - more so than many people realize. if your fitness level is up to it you can add a little running, but walking works just fine. I suggest these because equipment required is pretty minimal.
Old 11-02-09, 08:31 AM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
not sure about your level of fitness but walking can help lose weight - more so than many people realize. if your fitness level is up to it you can add a little running, but walking works just fine. I suggest these because equipment required is pretty minimal.
yeah I was thinking of adding walking and to my routine b/c I've noticed that while I can bike a lot better than I could 6 months ago, when I tried walking it seemed about the same but light mountain hiking was much easier. So I guess biking is a different muscle set than walking while similar to the up/down motion of climbing a trail. Jogging I find a pain b/c I'm flat footed and still a little heavy for it.
I'd kind of want a trainer just b/c I'd like to maintain the little progress I made in cycling stamina. When I first started I was so out of shape I could only bike for like an hour and I was sore the next day(gross I know). Now I can pretty much ride all day on the weekends as long as I don't forget to eat. but i guess i'm steering this thread off course now. I should read more in the fitness section.
Old 11-02-09, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
walking & running compliment biking. I know because I remember when I started running I made a mistake and lengthened my stride too much too quickly and did something to my achilles. part of my rehab was bicycling. walking / hiking is a nice compliment for cycling and your girlfriend can come along
Old 11-02-09, 08:59 AM
iamsomeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FSM
Dump her. It'll only go downhill from here.
+1 the almighty FSM has touched your knowledge nugget with his noodly appendage