Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

How Pure Is Your Tap Water?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

How Pure Is Your Tap Water?

Old 08-15-19, 01:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I thought botulism required anaerobic conditions which is not creek water.
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
The well water has been tested in the past.

I do have an ion exchange system for it, which essentially exchanges sodium ions for the Calcium and other minerals. But, I wonder if the calcium is healthier than the sodium, at least in drinking water.

Iron can be filtered by an oxygen catalyst system, but that isn't the issue here.

I haven't had the spring water tested.

As far as diseases, botulism is down at the bottom of the list. The bacteria is common in the environment, but has minimal effect on adults, with high immunity.

The biggest issue is the botulism toxin which builds up in certain environments such as poorly canned veggies.

Running water isn't a place where botulism toxin builds up.

The far greater risk in the USA is Giardia. It can cause serious diarrhea in some individuals. It is unclear the level of immunity in avid outdoors people in the USA.

Some countries carry a risk of Hepatitis A, but primarily around untreated human sewage (generally not a problem with mountain streams in the USA).
I was generalizing -- Any organism or harmful particulate that's in the water.
Old 08-15-19, 01:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 9232 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
I was generalizing -- Any organism or harmful particulate that's in the water.
Not all organisms are pathogenic.

Botulism is unique in that it may be pathogenic to infants, but in its natural state, it is not pathogenic to adults. It is only pathogenic if one allows the toxin to build up.

Likewise, Staph Aureus is moderately more pathogenic, but again, it produces a toxin that if it is allowed to build up, it can be problematic (generally giving one the runs).

You can eat eukaryotic algae. If it comes off in sheets, it tastes like lettuce.

Prokaryotic blue algae (cyanobacteria) is different.

If humans couldn't tolerate at least some organisms, we'd be in bad shape with a world full of them. In fact, some theories indicate that rural individuals get exposure to a wider assortment of microbes, and are healthier than urban individuals that get less exposure.

Many of the waterborne pathogens fall in a category called "fecal-oral" pathogens, and often cause diarrhea. Even so, many are species specific, or species preferential.

Hepatitis A, for example, is a fecal-oral disease, but is primarily a human/primate disease. So, if no humans have crapped in one's spring, then it is relatively safe.
Old 08-15-19, 02:27 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3512 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I grew up drinking well water in the hills of western Mass. One time this:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I grew up with well water. It was a shallow rock lined well about 4' in diameter, perhaps 20' deep and was covered with a few very large flat stones (6'x2'x6" thick). Came back from a trip to Europe and the taste of the water was very off. My parents tried to convince us (the kids) that it was just that we had gotten used to the taste of chlorinated water when we were away. I know I had to mix it with OJ to drink it and when it took a hot shower the smell was nearly unbearable. Anyway after several days of tolerating we went up to the well to check it out. Turned out someone had slid one of the rocks open a bit to drop a pipe into. Looked down in there and there was a giant bloated possum floating. Fished it out and dumped a bucket of pool chlorine and flushed out the system. Still get nauseous thinking about it.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 08-15-19, 02:37 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
That alone should trigger a 'bogus' claim on this product.....

.....some companies use any detection as a scare-tactic level in their marketing.

a lawsuit over their false comparisons with bottled water in ads and the claims their products were tested by the FDA, which doesn’t regulate them, ended with their being forced to stop both are also examples of their deceptive advertising.

understanding the chemistry of water filtration will also tell you the ion-exchange resin in their filters create a good medium for growing bacteria which their tds tester has no capacity to measure and makes it even more important to buy their expensive replacement filters sooner than later and sterilizing the pitcher with a later filter change.

the building i live in uses a RO filtration method which also remineralizes the water post RO and directs water rejected by the system to be used in the toilets, landscape, balcony faucets etc…..which is a much better way of treating both drinking and shower water in a condo building or home and allows us to use the refrigerator's cold water dispenser without a filter.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 08-17-19 at 01:22 AM.
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 08-15-19, 02:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 8900 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I've never heard of anybody using the word 'pothole' except for in a road. If that's out in the wilderness somewhere, I'd call that a 'puddle'
There's a trail here called Granite Mountain Potholes that takes you to little puddles like @noisebeam showed, plus a view. In the mountains an itty bitty lake is a tarn, but call it a pothole and everybody will understand.

Here's a pothole on Trapper Peak, not big enough to be called a tarn. I did not drink from this. I'm very selective about when to filter. We have very clean water in the Cascades and it's a common practice to drink without filtering here in certain conditions.

Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-15-19, 03:11 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Some of our potholes come with a view too!
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 08-15-19, 04:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

That's an Escher quality reflection. I like how the canyon is just barely visible - being hinted at.
Old 08-15-19, 04:56 PM
noisebeam
Al

Lower angle, more reflection...
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 08-15-19, 07:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 133 Posts
I haven't died from it just yet.

Our streets are paved with onions...the drivers aren't tarping
Old 08-16-19, 10:54 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Malaria?

Not a huge risk in the USA. It is one disease with no animal reservoir, and only a human reservoir. It is transmitted from human to human by mosquitoes, not drinking water.

While US mosquitoes are capable of transmitting the disease, it was generally eradicated from the South-East USA in the 1940's and 1950's.

Modern cases in the USA are generally imported from international travel or immigration, and it hasn't reached endemic levels.
Botulism is what he needs to prevent. Drinking in an Elk wallow might be risky without an effective treatment for the water . . . like fansidar is to malaria . . . but for botulism
Old 08-16-19, 11:03 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 293 Posts
Botulism is usually caused by canned foods that were improperly sterilized, not from drinking out of a questionable stream (sometimes referred to by local experts as a "crick"). I swear, this forum has become a hotbed of anti-Botulist misinformation lately.
Old 08-16-19, 11:11 AM
noisebeam
Al

For cyclists the most likely way to get botulism is from a baked potato wrapped in aluminum foil stashed in jersey for mid ride snack.
Old 08-16-19, 07:19 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
That's fine. But testing at the faculty is one thing, the water you drink by the time it gets to your tap is something totally different. Are you sure that water is as safe as they say it is? Using my particulate tester, mine measured 130 before filtering, and 000 after (that's still well within the safe zone (>300).

Anyway, maybe that's not a big deal for some? But personally, I'd rather drink 000 water than 130 any day if I have the choice. Considering bottled water is a huge business, I know I'm not alone.
I don't think you'll ever let the facts get in the way of thinking your Zerowater test device is accurate. From my days working for a water and sewer agency: California requires its water providers to test the water in the treatment plant and at various points in the distribution system. They don't use a simple test device like you have, but either do a complete chemical analysis of it in their lab, or send it out to be tested at a contract lab (all labs are licensed by the State's Dept of Public Health). Either way, its more accurate that a device that comes with a water pitcher. BTW: The Zerowater test devices only measures Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), but the website doesn't say to what level it measures it. TDS has very little to do with the health factors of water, its more of a taste factor, so you are only fooling yourself if you think what you are drinking is contaminate-free. If you really want to know what's in your water then take a sample from outside your house, then one inside your house after filtering it, take them into a testing lab and have it analyzed (it ain't cheap to run all the required tests).
Likes For skidder:
Old 08-16-19, 09:39 PM
Hondo Gravel
The water is on fire

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 121 Posts
I have the solution to the water problem

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-17-19, 05:10 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Old 08-17-19, 04:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 78 Posts
Working for a water utility, we spend a lot of money on water quality and testing. I have no issues drinking tap water here.

Don't think bottled water isn't just filtered tap water.

https://onmilwaukee.com/living/artic...milwaukee.html
Old 08-18-19, 02:57 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
For legal reasons of course bottled water is just filtered tap water with a specified profile of minerals added back in.

I've let this go until now but for the record I really should say that a simple gravity fed water filter in a jug is not even close to being able to filter everything out of the water and produce a truly zero sediment reading. Only Reverse Osmosis filters can really filter out fluoride from the water. Some resin filters, kind of can filter out fluoride however they expire more quickly than you would like them to.

Any test kit giving you a zero reading from a simple gravity fed sediment filter is simply not a very sensitive test kit.
Old 08-18-19, 05:06 AM
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 08-18-19 at 05:09 AM.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 08-18-19, 09:37 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
For legal reasons of course bottled water is just filtered tap water with a specified profile of minerals added back in.

I've let this go until now but for the record I really should say that a simple gravity fed water filter in a jug is not even close to being able to filter everything out of the water and produce a truly zero sediment reading. Only Reverse Osmosis filters can really filter out fluoride from the water. Some resin filters, kind of can filter out fluoride however they expire more quickly than you would like them to.

Any test kit giving you a zero reading from a simple gravity fed sediment filter is simply not a very sensitive test kit.
This is important if you want bad teeth and to avoid having your mind controlled by the government.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-18-19, 10:40 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
This is important if you want bad teeth and to avoid having your mind controlled by the government.
or brush your teeth with ADA-accepted toothpastes with fluoride....
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 08-18-19, 11:04 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

This assumes that the American Dental Association wants us all to have perfect teeth ... so that we'll never, ever need the services of one of their dentists.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-18-19, 05:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Last time I checked ain't nobody getting out alive.

Likes For Rollfast:
Old 08-18-19, 05:35 PM
AnthonyG

Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Even IF you can find a Scientific reference demonstrating the benefits of adding fluoride to our tap water, what you are left with is, population wide medication against peoples will and without evidence that the medication is needed for all recipients.

Its a serious breech of Scientific and Medical ethics. Serious breech. Its no better than Religious people insisting that everyone MUST be Christian or their going to Hell.

In reality the best that the Fluoride compound that's added to our water supply can be is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Its not elemental fluoride as found in our teeth.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 08-19-19 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 07:19 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Don't make this a P&R thread please. It's embarrassing when threads I'm in get moved there.

Likes For Rollfast:
Old 08-18-19, 09:57 PM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 70 Posts
LOL!!! Omg Rollfast, we love you!

But yeah. This is Foo.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.