Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need an idea for a couple of nice outdoor bike racks... for my home.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-22-08, 04:38 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6836 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 120 Posts

We keep the bikes in the garage overnight (a "single car" garage can hold a lot of bikes), but during the day there's a bike here and a bike there and someone is coming and someone is going...

So I am looking for a nice low key good looking bike rack to hold a couple of bikes. I would prefer this vice leaning the bikes against a glass table (which is the current trend).

Everybody wants to park near the front door, which is inside of a gate in a little courtyard area. So I want something that would look nice next to the front door.

I could make this if it were of wood... So I am open to ideas.
Old 06-22-08, 05:16 PM
slowjoe66

Bikes: Route-x bent, GT Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm
Old 06-22-08, 05:23 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it were wood, it could be cut, but I assume from the description that this is daytime parking, right by your front door, inside a front gate. So you want to deter the crime of opportunity.

You could set up a 4x4 cedar wood fence post, bore some big holes through it in a couple directions for chains/cables/u-locks, and maybe sand it and stain it. Maybe put a decorative top on it.

You could get some waterproof glue or marine epoxy (that stuff is expensive, though) and laminate a post out of smaller boards. You could embed into the center of the post a piece of metal pipe or those reinforcing bars for concrete. You could get some big U-bolts or eye-bolts and put them into the post in such a way that the U part sticks out and the nuts are permanently inside the post. That way no one could unscrew the nuts to remove the U-bolt.

That bagged instant concrete is very easy to use and cheap. A post hole digger can be rented from a hardware store. If you have any plantings in the courtyard, maybe a couple fence-post-like wooden bike hitching posts could be partially hidden by plants, maybe near a path, and a person would have to look twice to notice them. But regular guests would know they were there.

Now that I have talked myself through that design, I might investigate the idea for myself.
Old 06-22-08, 06:47 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These are interesting ideas! I think they could easily be designed right into a landscaping project... if we plan fances, gazebos, decks and seating areas, why shouldn't we include a bike post?

I thought about adding a little roofed half-shed to one side of our entryway, with a sturdy metal loop of some kind for securing bikes. Right now they are in a full shed in the back yard and it's kind of a pain to get at them.
Old 06-22-08, 07:53 PM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are really handy and good with wood, here's some ideas for you.

Make the racks like the ones linked to. Those are made with PVC, but do the same and use threaded iron pipe and fittings you can get at Lowes. Use loctite on the joints to firm them up. Now, here's where it gets fancy...

Use cedar 2x2s to encase the rack. Rip them in half, then use a dado blade to hollow out the centers. Glue the halves together to encase the pipe and pretty it up. Add a junction on the bottom of one of the iron pipe fittings to set it into concrete in the ground.

Another idea that would be a bit less secure, but could be attractive if it fit your outdoor landscape would be to use copper water pipe and sweat together a bike rack. Over time, it would patina and become very attractive. It would be defeated easily with bolt cutters, however.
Old 06-22-08, 07:58 PM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he/she is looking more for "parking" than security....... I may be wrong (seem to be most of the time )

How large is the area you want to put this? Are you looking just for something that you can "wheel" a bike into and keep it upright and out of the way?

Curious
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-22-08, 08:04 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan View Post
use copper water pipe and sweat together a bike rack.
That is a great idea to encase the pipe with wood. Iron pipe would be a nice surprise for someone trying to steal a bike with the help of a wood saw.

In some areas, copper is a MAJOR theft target because the price of scrap copper is high. In Minnesota, thieves will raid abandoned houses and remove copper pipes.

If the rack is made of wood, and if it were partially concealed by vegetation, one could try to paint it with a camouflage pattern to further hide it.
Old 06-23-08, 01:17 AM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swwhite View Post
That is a great idea to encase the pipe with wood. Iron pipe would be a nice surprise for someone trying to steal a bike with the help of a wood saw.

In some areas, copper is a MAJOR theft target because the price of scrap copper is high. In Minnesota, thieves will raid abandoned houses and remove copper pipes.

If the rack is made of wood, and if it were partially concealed by vegetation, one could try to paint it with a camouflage pattern to further hide it.
Hadn't thought of the copper theft angle. Now, how do you secure your bike rack?
Old 06-23-08, 05:11 AM
esaunders
aka Erica the Hon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan View Post
Hadn't thought of the copper theft angle. Now, how do you secure your bike rack?
Cement ... whether using wood, metal or a combo, dig a hole and seat the post in cement.
Old 06-23-08, 08:19 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by devildogmech View Post
I think he/she is looking more for "parking" than security....... I may be wrong (seem to be most of the time )

How large is the area you want to put this? Are you looking just for something that you can "wheel" a bike into and keep it upright and out of the way?

Curious
Yes. The security is provided by a gate that leads to the courtyard near the front door. I am looking more for a rack of convenience and for something that will look good in this courtyard. A bit of security can be provided by cheap cable locks... but that is not the biggest issue. The bikes are used daily, so convenience is the larger issue.
Old 06-23-08, 08:26 AM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think then, that making the PVC rack out of cedar or other wood would give you just what you are looking for. Heck, use some cheapo pine and just stain it....... Make sure to seal it so it lasts more than one year.....

What part of SD are you in? I grew up in N. County (Fallbrook) and did 4yrs at MCB Camp Pendleton...... Great place to vacation, too many hills to live there
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-23-08, 09:12 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by devildogmech View Post
I think then, that making the PVC rack out of cedar or other wood would give you just what you are looking for. Heck, use some cheapo pine and just stain it....... Make sure to seal it so it lasts more than one year.....

What part of SD are you in? I grew up in N. County (Fallbrook) and did 4yrs at MCB Camp Pendleton...... Great place to vacation, too many hills to live there
Central area... in Clairemont.