Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Virtual cycling?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Virtual cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 05:46 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Virtual cycling?

Virtual workouts get a new spin | Video | Reuters.com

Interesting:
A three way interaction between the cyclist, the trainer and other cyclists...
... All without leaving your home...

There's a lot of potential here for some great training. The trainer could be a mass market, impersonal thing -- or it could be a one-on-one version. Then you add real time competition between cyclists and the possibilities are almost endless...

So who's going to retire their real bike and go virtual?
Old 05-17-14, 06:39 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not happening. I ride outside all year round. If it snows... then I ride an mtb with studded tires.
Old 05-17-14, 07:56 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Virtual cycling ??. No way !!..I love riding outside, all year round, bad weather hasn't stopped me yet. I don't even own rollers...It's amazing to watch humans evolve and how they are trying to find ways to eliminate having to go outside , so as to avoid having to face a little bit of discomfort from the weather and eliminate physical activity. I wonder if future cycling is just going to become another video game.
Old 05-17-14, 08:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I could see it for winter cycling ... after all, already there are spinning classes (which are great), and I know of clubs who get together in someone's basement or garage and do a trainer/roller workout together.
Old 05-17-14, 08:24 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
If you want to focus on training, riding solo, indoors or out, is probably better.

If you want some social interaction it's better to get out in the real world than in your basement connected to others through a computer.
Old 05-17-14, 09:09 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
If you want to focus on training, riding solo, indoors or out, is probably better.

If you want some social interaction it's better to get out in the real world than in your basement connected to others through a computer.
For introverts, like me, this kind of virtual competition may be as much social interaction as we want... Actually, introverts need social interaction -- but they do better with limited, controlled doses. This could be ideal for them. You get the interaction when you want it and simply shut it off when you've had enough...

edit to add: My theory has always been that the best exercise is the one that you do regularly over an extended time frame -- meaning it has to be convenient and enjoyable. This virtual exercise may make it easier for some to find that ...
Old 05-18-14, 11:14 PM
uByke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are with you GeorgeBMac, and with the latest technology and equipment the possibilities are endless. Indoor/virtual training is not to replace traditional outdoor riding, merely aid in focus training and also something different for those of us who only have 45mins to an hour for a high intensity workout.