Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding without gloves - why?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding without gloves - why?

Old 03-14-18, 03:06 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Maybe because there's no law which says you have to wear gloves while riding?

I supposed Bike Forums would get boring if we didn't have these "Why do people do things I don't do?" threads.
Old 03-14-18, 03:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The video was from 3/4 and it seems that it was in the 40s (F) in that part of France. https://www.worldweatheronline.com/l...france/fr.aspx

I dunno. I could only see about 3 riders barehanded from the video. There's always a couple guys who don't feel the cold, right?
Old 03-14-18, 03:48 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
It's a trendy peleton. If Peter, or Chris, or Nairo, or Alejandro do something out of the norm (for whatever reason), there will be those who emulate them.

Maybe a boycott of the glove sponsor???

They also have a team car with spares if the gloves become too waterlogged or too muddy to be helpful.

Disclaimer: I haven't fact checked the initial assertion to know if it is a trend or just a few random pics selected.

Final thought = well maybe not Chris, not one to be emulating presently.
Old 03-14-18, 03:50 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
The OP didn't suggest that anyone should change anything he or she was doing, but rather asked the reasoning behind it. Perhaps, the answer might make a lot of sense to him and he'd start riding without gloves. If we're not here to ask, answer, and learn, then what are we here for?
Well since you want something serious ill have to add this , the reason for why I don't wear gloves is ,, my thumbs, yes they must be abnormal or that's just the way it is , wearing gloves is not a problem, taking them off is the problem I have a tremendous time getting them past my thumbs so I buy large or extra large but still the problem is there it takes me too long to take them off, so now you have my serious answer,,, even if it sounds ridiculous,,,,,,, but the rest of my fingers are fast...
Old 03-14-18, 04:02 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I noticed this too in Paris-Nice. 10 degrees C (I don't know what that is in Trumplandia) and riders without gloves. No idea how they could do it. Maybe wet gloves are even colder than no gloves at all as there was a fair bit of rain this year?
Old 03-14-18, 04:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
To better the bondage with the bike during there ride?
Old 03-14-18, 04:25 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Following peleton trends is not always advisable for the vast majority of riders.
Old 03-14-18, 04:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
The OP didn't suggest that anyone should change anything he or she was doing, but rather asked the reasoning behind it. Perhaps, the answer might make a lot of sense to him and he'd start riding without gloves. If we're not here to ask, answer, and learn, then what are we here for?
I guess it's generational, but I reacted to the tone more than the actual words. The OP clearly set out the reasons he wears gloves in both warm and cold weather, so I read that as more than idle curiosity. You might note that I conditioned my reply on the asking about something where one's opinion is already set.

had the OP not stated his preference and the reasons, I wouldn't have read it as argumentative.

FWIW - I've been riding for about half a century, including a fair share long rides, and don't wear gloves except to keep my hands warm in cold weather, so I'm mildly curious about why some don't wear them in the cold, but not enough to do more than assume that they're more comfortable that way. Kind of like me not wearing a hat even in bitter cold.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-14-18, 05:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've noticed that too. My guess was to minimize wind resistance. Heck, locally I see pros from the Elevate team training in that second-skin kit.

I'd be tempted to train in more traditional looser fitting gear to gain the at least psychological advantage of feeling more aero in competition.

My handlebar tape is an old tube cut into strips. Helps reduce chatter and vibration with minimal added thickness. But it's slippery with sweaty hands so I wear gloves. I need to add some regular bar tape over it. Got some in a box ready to go. Been saying that for months. Some day it'll come true.
Old 03-14-18, 05:27 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

FWIW - I've been riding for about half a century, including a fair share long rides, and don't wear gloves except to keep my hands warm in cold weather, so I'm mildly curious about why some don't wear them in the cold, but not enough to do more than assume that they're more comfortable that way. Kind of like me not wearing a hat even in bitter cold.

That's cool. I've been racing bikes of some discipline for 33 years (BMX, road, 'cross, MTB), 4 of them pro XC MTB. The reason I always wear full finger gloves (even in 100 degree temps) is because I've had my fingers and hands torn up so many times. Believe it or not, even the thinnest of full finger gloves will provide a lot of protection in a crash. However, everyone should do what works and is comfortable for them.
Old 03-14-18, 06:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Because they prefer to for whatever reason.

While asking why questions, mine would be why would anybody who's made his own personal decision about something as trivial as gloves care why someone else opts to do it differently.
Because maybe there's a reason behind that decision, and that reason could possibly be rational and well-thought out, and knowing that reason might yield enlightenment.
Old 03-14-18, 06:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Because maybe there's a reason behind that decision, and that reason could possibly be rational and well-thought out, and knowing that reason might yield enlightenment.
Yes, but I wasn't reacting to the question per se, but the tone. (see my earlier reply, post no. 34)

IMO there's a difference between asking something straight out, and setting it up the way the OP did. Of course I can't know his intent, and reacted only to the words on the page.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-14-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 07:05 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Yes, but I wasn't reacting to the question per se, but the tone. (see my earlier reply, post no. 34)

IMO there's a difference between asking something straight out, and setting it up the way the OP did. Of course I can't know his intent, and reacted only to the words on the page.
As the OP, please let me help you know my intent: It's an honest question. I'm not judging, I'm all about rocking whatever works for you. As others have posted, I'm curious if I'm missing something or is it just the latest pro trend the rest of us mortals should ignore.

I'm a fan of Grant Petersen's "Just Ride" - he does not like gloves, I think he refers to them a big waste of money. I have a number of friends that bike for transportation only - they are not fans of gloves. I get that, and I don't wear gloves for casual/transportation rides. That's why I made a point of asking about competitive riders.

I'd love to understand what you're seeing the the way I set up my question, I'm rereading my post and I don't understand what you're seeing in my words. (honest question, I'd like to avoid giving people the wrong impression about my intent)
Old 03-15-18, 07:17 AM
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I wear riding gloves, as I have not met a Doctor yet who can put skin back on.
Old 03-15-18, 08:14 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Sometimes I wear gloves, sometimes not.

There are days where I can ride around in temps down to 40 degrees without gloves and be perfectly comfortable. No gloves makes it easier to get food, fiddle in my frame bag and take photos and use my phone. I spend a ton of time outside so I end up pretty well cold adapted by the middle/end of winter. Often I'll ride in just a light pullover and t-shirt with shorts down to 35 degrees or so.

In the summer, I lose a ton of heat through my hands so I often forgo gloves unless I'm racing my mountain bike where the tackiness allows a lighter grip on the bars and lets me ride with less fatigue over long periods of high intensity. American football wide receiver gloves are just about the best for this.

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 03-15-18 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 08:24 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Honestly I've never noticed whether those I ride with have gloves on or not. I know some do, but I've never paid attention close enough to notice anyone who doesn't. Now, I suppose, the next group ride I'm on this thread will pop out from the back of my mind and I'll be looking to see who has gloves on and who doesn't, just out of curiosity.
Old 03-15-18, 08:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Bent and trike riders dont need padded gloves to protect them from their bike. OTOH if they ride when it is cold regular light gloves would keep their hands warm.
Old 03-15-18, 08:43 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
gloves when its below 60 degrees

over 60 no gloves

estimate have ridden 30k (more probably) miles like this. still have all the skin on my hands
Old 03-15-18, 09:35 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
As the OP, please let me help you know my intent: It's an honest question. I'm not judging, .....
I'd love to understand what you're seeing the the way I set up my question, I'm rereading my post and I don't understand what you're seeing in my words. (honest question, I'd like to avoid giving people the wrong impression about my intent)
I thought we were past that, and you don't need to justify yourself to me anyway. But since you ask what had my antenna buzzing..

The OP started with an observation, then you stated your preference and the reasons for it. You finished by referencing the photos riding no gloves in the cold and asked why.

As I read it, you were setting up a rational for wearing gloves and asking why other weren't acting as logic would predict. It was that dichotomy which led to my inference.

Had you eliminated the part rationalizing glove use, and simply mentioned the initial observation and the pros in the cold and asked I would have read it as more one of simple curiosity.

Even though you had no intent to imply anything, that didn't keep me from making then inference. Keep in mind that this is BF and there are so many posts saying one way or the other, "I do X, and cannot imagine why anybody wouldn't do the same", so there's a bit of a predisposition to read that sentiment into posts (maybe only in my mind).

As for the reason for some pros going gloveless, maybe the glove sponsor cancelled the contract, and this is an example of ornery spiteful obstinance. (don't respond, that was a joke)

Old 03-15-18, 09:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

thanks!
Old 03-15-18, 10:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've noticed that too. My guess was to minimize wind resistance. Heck, locally I see pros from the Elevate team training in that second-skin kit.

I'd be tempted to train in more traditional looser fitting gear to gain the at least psychological advantage of feeling more aero in competition.

My handlebar tape is an old tube cut into strips. Helps reduce chatter and vibration with minimal added thickness. But it's slippery with sweaty hands so I wear gloves. I need to add some regular bar tape over it. Got some in a box ready to go. Been saying that for months. Some day it'll come true.
I'm not a pro, but my amateur team has used Castelli for many seasons and we have access to the same team kit as the pros do. In my experience, the training jerseys (I think they're called "Podio" this year) are a bit less snug than the aero jerseys, but I wouldn't call them loose fitting. They're still race cut and are much snugger than a club jersey. Not to mention the Italian sizing....
Old 03-15-18, 11:09 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'll side with @caloso's explanation due to temperature futher above. But who really knows why unless you ask the pros. For myself, I prefer gloves all the time. In the warm days, my hands still get a little sweaty. Then the sweat gets on my brake hoods and makes them a bit sticky. I'm not a fan of sticky, but it does beat slippery. So I've been wearing some form of open finger gloves 60F and up for a long time. I also like the Fizik bar tape and have been using it on both of my road bikes. Its a little more expensive at around $12. But its plush and I likie.

Old 03-15-18, 11:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I always wear gloves if for no other reason than as skin guard in the next crash. But on long days on the fix gear, I take it a step further. I wear full fingered gloves to protect my index and middle gingers from the undersides of the brake levers on long climbs. (Sucks when you have chafed beyond the skin and there is another mile to go before you can sit down or will be doing more hills tomorrow and the day after.) So I've been seen with those full fingered gloves in 90+F. (The Dankine MTB gloves are really good for those warm days. Only drawback -MTB brown.)

Ben
Old 03-15-18, 12:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, assuming decent weather, I mostly wear gloves to protect my palms and knuckles in case of a crash. All my gloves have pavement rash on 'em already. But I can keep riding as long as the palms aren't bloody hamburger.

And they help a little to reduce chafing from riding on those old school late '80s rubber aero brake hook-hoods. I'm prone to psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Occasionally the skin around the web of the hand between thumb and forefinger gets chafed easily. Gloves help.

I'm not fast enough for any aero advantage from gloves or even shaving. I have one kinda-semi-aero jersey, which I'll wear today since the wind is 20 mph with gusts to nearly 40. It'll help a little compared with my usual loose fitting jerseys. Won't make me any faster, but might reduce the sail effect.

About the only time I skip the gloves in warm weather is riding the hybrid for local errands.
Old 03-15-18, 12:50 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I used to wear gloves, not it does not matter on short rides.
During long distance cycling events gloves will rub and irritate skin in wrong places(tried many gloves in different sizes).
Riding without gloves feels more comfortable for a while (in my case I can ride longer without gloves).
Although I still carry gloves with me(sometimes a couple of pairs) and put them on for a few hours at a time, so the feel on the handlebar would be different. Also switching between wearing/not wearing gloves changes pressure points on my hands on long rides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.