Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Backpacks for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Backpacks for commuting

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 09:48 PM
2wheelride

Bikes: an HM Snakehead and a Kona Dew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backpacks for commuting

So I'll be started school again in a few weeks, and I've been looking at backpacks that would be better for commuting. There are a couple I had in mind, like the Osprey Radial 34 and the Momentum 32. However, there are issues about both bags that concern me, particularly the elastic cords that would have to hold up the weight of a fully loaded bag. They both have some really nice features, such as an integrated rain cover, and a spot to attach a helmet when not in use.
Old 07-15-18, 11:53 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I have a momentum 34 and a radial 26. I’m not sure what elastic cords you’re talking about. The weight of the packs are supported by sturdy shoulder and waist straps. There are no elastic cords bearing any weight. I prefer the radial, pockets suit me better and the zippers are smoother to operate. Both come with a lifetime warranty and are well made.
Old 07-16-18, 05:47 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I just purchased the Osprey Radial 26 on Saturday and haven't had a chance to use it. I bought it on recommendations from this forum. As for the elastic straps, if you are talking about the ones holding the top of the straps, they are not there for strength. The strap is sewn elsewhere to do this task, the cords are not taking the full weight of this bag so I wouldn't worry about that. As gregf83 mentioned they have a great warranty if anything goes wrong.
Old 07-16-18, 06:14 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
I use and love Osprey Talon 22. Great venting and capacity. Reflective, and meant for cycling.
Old 07-16-18, 07:01 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Use the Osprey Radial 26 and can highly recommend it. Anther great feature is the "kickstand". You can stand it up on any flat surface and it will stay. Easy to pack/unpack.
Old 07-31-18, 10:34 AM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mostly I use panniers; but I have a large collection of backpacks as well. My top end is an LBB

If you need to haul a lot of stuff on your back, it's a solid choice.

The Arkel backpack pannier is good (much smaller), I have a very ancient model and it works well.

Mostly you need to figure out what works for you. It may be a family of bags, for different loads ... or you may find one you just love ;>
Old 08-04-18, 12:56 AM
DTG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Khb
Mostly I use panniers; but I have a large collection of backpacks as well. My top end is an LBB
https://youtu.be/wi1bvIMGg7Q

If you need to haul a lot of stuff on your back, it's a solid choice.

The Arkel backpack pannier is good (much smaller), I have a very ancient model and it works well.

Mostly you need to figure out what works for you. It may be a family of bags, for different loads ... or you may find one you just love ;>
I think I just found my brother from another. I too have a large assortment of backpacks in general. It's good to see I'm not the only one with an issue out there when it comes to backpacks. The fact you have that LBB bag tells me you are serious about this life. I have that bag also. The one thing I don't like about it though is the black interior. I feel the boys in Jakarta should of made it another color because without a flashlight (not your phones light), things will vanish in there, even with all the organization pockets. I really want to name all the bags I have but then that would take all day, it's a lot. I will tell you to check out "Truce Designs" and "Boundary". Those are two legit backpack makers. The latter being a kickstarter I pledged for but the bag came out dope.

Side Note......I read the last sentence about a family of bags and that's how I see it. There is no one bag that does it all. I have multiple backpacks, panniers, backpack panniers, bikepacking bags that all have a purpose depending on the riding I;m doing.

Last edited by DTG; 08-04-18 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Added more and typo
Old 08-04-18, 08:41 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I recently picked up the hikelite 26 for $75 for my 9 km commute (I shower at work). If you need a larger backpack for more stuff, you better get panniers since the weight up high will bother you.
This one has the mesh panel and is super light (0.74kg). You really want the mesh panel to keep some air between your back and the bag. Trust me on that. Cheaper ones have am "airflow" padding with many small holes in them.... trust me, you want the mesh panel.
It also is my hiking pack, BTW.
Old 08-05-18, 10:02 AM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DTG
I think I just found my brother from another. .....The one thing I don't like about it though is the black interior. I feel the boys in Jakarta should of made it another color because without a flashlight (not your phones light), things will vanish in there, even with all the organization pockets. I really want to name all the bags I have but then that would take all day, it's a lot. I will tell you to check out "Truce Designs" and "Boundary". Those are two legit backpack makers. The latter being a kickstarter I pledged for but the bag came out dope.
Hey bro, the folks at LBB heard your pain ... and revised the bag. At least I assume mine is newer...seems unlikely they'd have gone from yellow to black for tine interior.

easy to spot stuff, hard to keep really clean
Old 08-06-18, 01:07 AM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Khb
Hey bro, the folks at LBB heard your pain ... and revised the bag. At least I assume mine is newer...seems unlikely they'd have gone from yellow to black for tine interior.

easy to spot stuff, hard to keep really clean
From the looks of it, you have the normal version of the peloton which is yellow inside. I have the asphalt version of the bag.

'The Peloton ASPHALT' - Life Behind Bars
Old 08-06-18, 02:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by DTG
things will vanish in there, even with all the organization pockets.
Oh, I know the feeling. My bag can be like a black hole.

I've mainly been using 2 bags lately. Neither is perfectly waterproof, so I tend to put stuff in plastic bags when necessary.

Older Swiss Gear bag. Petty robust, but not overly expensive. I don't like the mostly black color.

Older Camelback Mule (without the bladder). Small, but this seems to be about the perfect size for an everyday commuter. I can stuff a few items in it, but nothing too big. Nonetheless, it has quite a few places to stuff extra stuff when overloaded.

Of course, I'm no longer lugging around college textbooks.
Old 08-06-18, 02:40 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
The Osprey's are popular but ugly. I had almost purchased one but was more impressed with the Vaude reviews. Have had my Vaude for 4 years and still use it nearly every ride. What a great pack. Like Vaude says, "made by cyclists, for cyclists." And they aren't kidding. Functional, simple and sleek.
Old 08-06-18, 06:29 PM
Khb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DTG
From the looks of it, you have the normal version of the peloton which is yellow inside. I have the asphalt version of the bag.

'The Peloton ASPHALT' - Life Behind Bars
Eyup you got that right. I don't recall the Asphalt being available at the time (or more precisely, when I'd put the bag on my wishlist. My wife gifted me with the LBB bag sometime later ;>).
Old 08-07-18, 02:23 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Arc'teryx Spear 20.

I haven't bought into the Osprey hype ... style over function there.
Old 08-07-18, 07:56 AM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by acidfast7
Arc'teryx Spear 20.

I haven't bought into the Osprey hype ... style over function there.
Really? The Osprey are very functional. What do you mean?

EDIT: I thought so, no substance.

Last edited by GeneO; 08-07-18 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 08:05 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I've had the Timbuktu Rogue for a while. Surprisingly comfortable. Has the molle loops on the front for a u-lock.
Old 08-07-18, 12:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have an Osprey Momentum and love it. It's a great backpack.
Old 08-09-18, 09:32 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
I use the 2 Wheel Gear Pannier Backpack. It transitions from a backpack to a pannier for the commute. It is very well made and I no longer have the dreaded back sweat. I very rarely use the backpack function now since I park the bike at my desk.
Old 08-09-18, 10:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A big bike messenger bag will not cover up your whole back, and prevent sweat from cooling you.

thus, I have tried to avoid wearing a backpack ,

In the winter it will matter less, of course..

In the rain , there are Dry Bag Backpacks ,

but there a Messenger bag with a waterproof liner may be OK.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-09-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 09:19 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
A big bike messenger bag will not cover up your whole back, and prevent sweat from cooling you.

thus, I have tried to avoid wearing a backpack ,

In the winter it will matter less, of course..

In the rain , there are Dry Bag Backpacks ,

but there a Messenger bag with a waterproof liner may be OK.

In the winter I wear a jacket with a rear vent. Backpacks interfere with it, But I live with it and don't commute much into winter (a good snow stops me as I ride on the trails 60+%).
Old 08-10-18, 12:55 AM
alextide

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Patagonia Black Hole, 25l backpack. The part on your back is nice and cushioned, the rest is a waterproof material. The straps are more comfortable than the North face ones I've tried. However, you do get sweaty underneath it. It has a laptop sleeve inside and water bottle pockets outside. I'd reckon a bag with venting might be better to avoid being the sweaty/stinky kid in class....
Old 08-10-18, 03:08 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by GeneO
Really? The Osprey are very functional. What do you mean?

EDIT: I thought so, no substance.
the Osprey rucksacks have moved in to the expensive end of the market without as much real-world testing as the high end European manufactures. They've moved into that market segment with fancy designs and big eagles. I'm more of Fjällraven/mammut kind of guy as they're tried and tested.*

I found that they don't make anything small and utilitarian enough for cyclocommuting and that Arcteryx does.*

let's not even go down the road that the Osprey bags are quite gaudy and sophomoric-looking.

the roll top on the Arcteryx is excellent for occasionally carrying large items like baguettes and postertubes to conferences,* which most other brands don't employ :/

but if youre rolling on a small framed 20 inch BMX (or maybe a more modern cruiser with 24 inch)* then an osprey may make more sense
Old 08-10-18, 07:39 AM
GeneO 

the Osprey rucksacks have moved in to the expensive end of the market without as much real-world testing as the high end European manufactures. They've moved into that market segment with fancy designs and big eagles. I'm more of Fjällraven/mammut kind of guy as they're tried and tested.*

I found that they don't make anything small and utilitarian enough for cyclocommuting and that Arcteryx does.*

let's not even go down the road that the Osprey bags are quite gaudy and sophomoric-looking.

the roll top on the Arcteryx is excellent for occasionally carrying large items like baguettes and postertubes to conferences,* which most other brands don't employ :/

but if youre rolling on a small framed 20 inch BMX (or maybe a more modern cruiser with 24 inch)* then an osprey may make more sense
Wow, you really are full of it.
Old 08-16-18, 05:22 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by GeneO
Wow, you really are full of it.
Sorry man, Osprey is overpriced/underperforming gear.

In German, we joke that the wearer must be American or from Cali. Also, the company isn't as green as it should be.

They should be more like these guys...

https://www.fjallraven.us/pages/sustainability

My large rucksack is a 65L Kajka ... unfortunately, it's lasted too long (it's the pre-woodframe model) from 2008.
Old 08-16-18, 06:35 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Sorry man, Osprey is overpriced/underperforming gear.

In German, we joke that the wearer must be American or from Cali. Also, the company isn't as green as it should be.

They should be more like these guys...

https://www.fjallraven.us/pages/sustainability

My large rucksack is a 65L Kajka ... unfortunately, it's lasted too long (it's the pre-woodframe model) from 2008.
Nahhhhhh you are full of it.
I love my Talon22. Gets used every single day for commuting to work. Does what its suppose to and in comfort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.