Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Fuji Track Elite

Old 12-03-18, 10:23 AM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clythio
Two Track Elites here. Both with rotating saddles - I'm heavy 90kg, and yes, I move to the front of saddle when sprinting hard.
Regular non-carbon rails saddle - 20Nm torque on the screw, cleaning, etc. nothing worked. It's just a stupid system to track use (have the same solution on my Scott Addict, without issues).
I simply don't understand why they don't use the 2bolts fine-adjustment bridge as some cheap china generic frames have. Or at least a system with some "steps" in order to block rotating.
So glad, but not glad, to see someone with the same problem. Is there any other seat tube that will work on the Fuji Track Elite? Or did they make theirs entirely proprietary. So frustrating. I switched to a different saddle recently, from the long and pointed Fizik with carbon rails to a Shimano Pro Stealth (no carbon rails). Plus I am trying the above suggestion and going with at least 14nm. But seriously, at my last race I manually tightened that f**ker down until I would have had to use both hands to get it any tighter...and it still slipped Totally absurd.
Old 12-03-18, 01:43 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Unfortunately only the Norcom post is interchangeable :/

I see you have both, do you have that issue (or can you replicate it) on your Norcom?
Old 12-03-18, 09:16 PM
ALANB58

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got mine from Nashbar, and interestingly, the price went up $500 overnight, not sure if I made the black fri deal deadline or if the price was wrong. It did seem like a good deal at the lower price, so I got it. The only major things I need to be able to ride it are cranks, rear wheel, chain and cogs. Mostly I want to do hard work outs in a more controlled manner. I would be interested in advice on crank sets and power meter options, I am pretty naive track wise, though have been road riding for decades.
Thanks!
Old 12-03-18, 09:52 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
So glad, but not glad, to see someone with the same problem. Is there any other seat tube that will work on the Fuji Track Elite? Or did they make theirs entirely proprietary. So frustrating. I switched to a different saddle recently, from the long and pointed Fizik with carbon rails to a Shimano Pro Stealth (no carbon rails). Plus I am trying the above suggestion and going with at least 14nm. But seriously, at my last race I manually tightened that f**ker down until I would have had to use both hands to get it any tighter...and it still slipped Totally absurd.
Have a china frame with similar system, but with some slots/slopes on the external "cups" contact surfaces of the holding/tightening set - switched this screw+cups (but not the seat rails berth) between frames and it's holding well on place for my TT advanced seat setup!
So maybe if we buy generic tightening sets with those slots/slopes we can get better results..

If only Fuji offered the Norcom seatpost in a easier to buy way.... I'd buy 2 pieces.
Old 12-04-18, 09:15 AM
Morelock

agreed. Ordering from Fuji/Oval is a pain in the butt. I finally got an extra seatpost, but I've been picking up the oval aero stems (made for the Norcom) on secondhand market as Oval is out of most sizes with no re-stock date... and they think they made them out of gold...
Old 06-07-19, 08:27 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Even custom round-tubed carbon is an option:

This is Andy Lakatosh's Parlee. I think he won Silver at Elite Track Nationals in sprints that year (among other things). I also think he raced Six Days on it. Not sure. He did race Six Days around that same time frame. Having round tubes didn't slow him down.

Parlee's aren't cheap, though.

EDIT:

They are based in Massachusetts.

https://parleecycles.com/

They don't show Track frames in their current model lineup but they mention Track as an option on their Custom page.

I think he is selling that frame now.
The tube length looks identical

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parlee-Trac...2194%7Ciid%3A1
Old 06-09-19, 01:16 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
I think he is selling that frame now.
The tube length looks identical

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parlee-Trac...2194%7Ciid%3A1

Nice find! I'm pretty sure that's it. It has his team name, "Pure Energy Cycling", on the top tube.

It's tough to say if the seller is Lakatosh himself or someone he gave/sold the frame to before now. But, I'm certain that it's Lakatosh's custom frame from 2012.
Old 12-15-19, 08:24 PM
Pole Line Stand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
Has anyone experienced any issues with your saddle not staying tight on the rails and the nose going down? I have experienced this both with my Fuji Track Elite and my Fuji Norcom Straight TT bike, both of which use the same saddle tightening mechanism. I'm not sure what to do. I am tightening it to spec -- 12nm. It's driving me nuts.
Just recently purchased a Fuji Elite. Experienced similar slight downward slippage of seat. Used white tooth paste, Detoxify brand by Crest. So far it’s been holding well. I used it on other bikes with slipping seat posts. Great for teeth too.
Old 12-15-19, 09:40 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Pole Line Stand
Just recently purchased a Fuji Elite. Experienced similar slight downward slippage of seat. Used white tooth paste, Detoxify brand by Crest. So far it’s been holding well. I used it on other bikes with slipping seat posts. Great for teeth too.
Piece of ****, this solution adopted by Fuji - it's Ritchey, I believe - even with 20+Nm doesn't stay in place in Velodrome banked turns if you go to the front end of seat with your weight, and spinning fast.
Bought a Norcom seatpost (100% compatible) and it's a bit "advanced" but not enough to deny seat moving downward ..
Cannot understand Fuji doing such a stupid thing in a very nice piece of good frame.

China cheap frames come with two screw fine adjustment seatpost nuts...
Old 12-16-19, 12:47 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Clythio
Piece of ****, this solution adopted by Fuji - it's Ritchey, I believe - even with 20+Nm doesn't stay in place in Velodrome banked turns if you go to the front end of seat with your weight, and spinning fast.
Bought a Norcom seatpost (100% compatible) and it's a bit "advanced" but not enough to deny seat moving downward ..
Cannot understand Fuji doing such a stupid thing in a very nice piece of good frame.

China cheap frames come with two screw fine adjustment seatpost nuts...
This saddle support is for sale on EbayUK.
Or you could build something similar using a turnbuckle and clevis from McMaster-Carr in the US.

Old 12-16-19, 05:52 AM
Morelock

Some guys made this for a LOOK L96 with the same issue

from a ground down K-edge bracket
Old 12-16-19, 12:41 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
That single bolt system has been a PITA since it was introduced. It's asinine that bike manufacturers are still using it.

The Felt TK1/FRD does use a 1-bolt system, but it's indexed with grooves. You have to remove the guts to rotate them 1 degree. It's the best implementation of this type. But, as Clythio mentions, the 2-bolt system that's been in use for decades (think Thomson) is simple and effective.

EDIT: Earlier versions of the TK1 system did use the style that is prone to slip which I assume is why they improved it. I recall a US National team member telling me about his saddle tilting on him using that frame.

Last edited by carleton; 12-16-19 at 01:27 PM.