Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Abusive "Cyclist" On Morning Ride Rant

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-31-20, 01:53 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Think of all the nice people you have encountered while riding. That should help.

We can all hope that someday he gets what is due. However the driver unlucky enough to deliver his fate will probably face a lawsuit. Guys like him are probably the first ones to place the blame on someone else.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 03-31-20, 03:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I feel you. A year or so ago I was rearended by a cyclist when I came to a complete stop at a light due to cross traffic approaching. Instead of apologizing he got mad at me for stopping.

Seems to me more and more these days that people cannot admit their mistakes.
I have had a similar experience, a guy who I don't know yelled at me for pausing at a stop sign. I'm not a bad-ass but most roadies aren't scary to me. I had a couple words for him.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-31-20, 04:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I used to ride with a fellow who did really crazy things on his bicycle that rendered him a hazard to himself and everyone else using the roads. I didn't want to be there to witness his demise when his luck finally runs out and therefore I stopped riding with him. Riding with him was simply too stressful. It seemed I was always expecting him to get hit.

Nowadays you simply don't know if someone, bicyclist or motorist or pedestrian, who exhibits irrational behaviour is mentally ill or on some kind of drug.

I also feel that a lot of incidents I experience are crafted by the devil to steal my enjoyment.

For all those reasons I just try to shrug it off and continue to enjoy my ride. Sometimes it's really hard to do that though.

A friend of mine had a device on the steering wheel of his car that was great to reduce road rage with. You pushed a button on it and it would emit a sound that you'd chosen it to make. He had rockets and/or machine guns as his two most popular choices. I think something like that might be helpful in keeping our rage levels down too when we encounter idiots on our rides.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-31-20, 06:04 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
When riding the bus once, I looked down into some guy's car, and noticed that he had a big Post-It in the middle of his steering wheel (probably where the horn was). The note said, "LET IT GO."

But, yes, this guy is the classic ******* who calls you an ******* while he behaves in *******-fashion. It's endemic, I think.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 03-31-20, 08:01 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
This thread reminds me of the old George Carlin joke; “anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”
Likes For kingston:
Old 03-31-20, 08:06 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I read your first post a few times, and it still doesn't make any sense to me. My guess is that you did something inadvertently to impede his progress without knowing it. I'm more of an Idaho stop kind of guy, and it happens to me all the time, but I only swear at people I'm sure won't be able to catch me . Whatever happened it doesn't excuse the behavior obviously.
What's an Idaho stop? If it's a slow roll through the stop sign, everyone I know calls it a California stop.
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 03-31-20, 08:14 PM
Jack Ryan

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
So, headed out early this morning for a nice, easy 30 miler. Still dark, nobody out. Post-apocalyptic traffic situation. Sitting at a red light with a lone car to my left, waiting for it to turn. Suddenly, to my right, a "cyclist" cruises past me doing maybe 13 mph. As he blows through the light with absolutely zero hesitation whatsoever, he says rather loudly to me the rather unfriendly and socially inappropriate word for a human backside that begins with a and ends with e. Now, there is absolutely no traffic, given the viral situation and early hour, but this light is at a very busy and dangerous intersection and it is one I would never, ever run under any circumstances. But it is a pretty long one.

So, I had a moment to consider the rather shocking experience I had just been subjected to on my happy, pleasant little morning ride. And as I did, I became more and more angry. I am constitutionally exceedingly patient. I am virtually never angry about anything. Just does not hardly ever happen. Like, ever. I tend to live in acceptance most of the time. I have to, given my health situation.

Not today. Today, I decided, you know what--no, you don't get to blow through a red light with no taillight and no helmet and call me an a*****e. Not occurring today.

I waited for the light to change. It took forever. Finally, it did. He was way, way out in front of me. Maybe going more like 15 mph, actually. I took off. He stayed on the same normally very busy street and continued blowing through red light after red light. I took a left and rode along the waterfront where there are no lights and no people, due to the apocalypse. Finally caught up to him and asked him why he felt it necessary to call me an a*****e while I was trying to have a nice, pleasant, law-abiding ride. He said nothing. I asked again. We were both heading for the same bridge, as it turned out. I let him go on, thinking it was over. Then, twenty yards ahead of me, he started berating me again. More name-calling.

Was just not having it this morning. Caught up again and told him he was the reason people despise cyclists so much. That he had violated the law about ten times in the seven remarkably unpleasant minutes I had known him. That he had no freaking right to be calling other riders names and ruining their rides. Etc., etc. He called me a psycho. I did not appreciate that very much. Then, I told him what I really thought. I think there was some colorful language employed.

I watched him blow through another insanely dangerous intersection and went on about my own ride. Took maybe another three miles to calm down. So unusual for me to let someone rile me up like this. Just never happens. But you know what, I just wasn't having it this morning. These punks give us all a bad name. It's no wonder non-cyclists sometimes have such a negative take on us as a group.

I decided I would enjoy the rest of my fifteen miles. I said good morning to every single cyclist and runner I encountered on the way back. Every one of them replied in a friendly and cheerful tone. All of them. Most folks around here are pretty pleasant most of the time, as it turns out.

I know not to engage with people like this guy. I do. But something was different this morning. This moron had no right to run around spewing venom on citizens. So, I told him what I thought. And you know what? It felt pretty darn good...
Everybody is a little extra tense right now. It is GOOD to have someone who really deserves it to let loose on once in a while. He did you a favor. You should make it a standing weekly appointment to meet up with him just to express your "thanks".
Likes For Jack Ryan:
Old 03-31-20, 09:02 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Was the guy riding a garage sale DUI special? Now that would have been painfully embarassing.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 04-01-20, 01:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Caught up again ...
Did you maintain 6 feet distance from him?
Likes For Machka:
Old 04-01-20, 04:55 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by FloridaDave
What's an Idaho stop? If it's a slow roll through the stop sign, everyone I know calls it a California stop.
The Idaho stop is the common name for a law that allows cyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield sign, and a red light as a stop sign.
Likes For kingston:
Old 04-01-20, 08:29 AM
davethelefty

The Idaho stop is the common name for a law that allows cyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield sign, and a red light as a stop sign.
Well, that's news to me -- thanks!! Now I'll have to see if Florida or any local municipalities adhere to the Idaho stop concept.
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 04-01-20, 08:39 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Well, that's news to me -- thanks!! Now I'll have to see if Florida or any local municipalities adhere to the Idaho stop concept.
It's not legal where I live and I don't think it's legal in Florida either. I just mentioned it to explain that I fall a bit more in the middle of the spectrum of Total adherence <=> Total disregard of traffic regulations.
Likes For kingston:
Old 04-01-20, 08:50 AM
davethelefty

It's not legal where I live and I don't think it's legal in Florida either. I just mentioned it to explain that I fall a bit more in the middle of the spectrum of Total adherence <=> Total disregard of traffic regulations.
I'm with you -- I fall in the middle of the spectrum. I cringe at the thought of just blindly blowing through a traffic light, and I can't recall seeing anyone blatantly disregard their own safety at a stop light. Darwin would say those people exist, and perhaps are thinning their own herd?

I'll follow up with some of my friends who are local cycling advocates -- see what they know about this. Thanks.
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 04-01-20, 09:45 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Did you maintain 6 feet distance from him?
AHA!!!!!!!! Yes! I DID!!!!!!!! But I admit that was primarily to give more options in case he pulled out a Glock...
Old 04-01-20, 02:22 PM
Hamstring
Knuckle Dragger

Bikes: Kona Splice

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
So, headed out early this morning for a nice, easy 30 miler. Still dark, nobody out. Post-apocalyptic traffic situation. Sitting at a red light with a lone car to my left, waiting for it to turn. Suddenly, to my right, a "cyclist" cruises past me doing maybe 13 mph. As he blows through the light with absolutely zero hesitation whatsoever, he says rather loudly to me the rather unfriendly and socially inappropriate word for a human backside that begins with a and ends with e. Now, there is absolutely no traffic, given the viral situation and early hour, but this light is at a very busy and dangerous intersection and it is one I would never, ever run under any circumstances. But it is a pretty long one.

So, I had a moment to consider the rather shocking experience I had just been subjected to on my happy, pleasant little morning ride. And as I did, I became more and more angry. I am constitutionally exceedingly patient. I am virtually never angry about anything. Just does not hardly ever happen. Like, ever. I tend to live in acceptance most of the time. I have to, given my health situation.

Not today. Today, I decided, you know what--no, you don't get to blow through a red light with no taillight and no helmet and call me an a*****e. Not occurring today.

I waited for the light to change. It took forever. Finally, it did. He was way, way out in front of me. Maybe going more like 15 mph, actually. I took off. He stayed on the same normally very busy street and continued blowing through red light after red light. I took a left and rode along the waterfront where there are no lights and no people, due to the apocalypse. Finally caught up to him and asked him why he felt it necessary to call me an a*****e while I was trying to have a nice, pleasant, law-abiding ride. He said nothing. I asked again. We were both heading for the same bridge, as it turned out. I let him go on, thinking it was over. Then, twenty yards ahead of me, he started berating me again. More name-calling.

Was just not having it this morning. Caught up again and told him he was the reason people despise cyclists so much. That he had violated the law about ten times in the seven remarkably unpleasant minutes I had known him. That he had no freaking right to be calling other riders names and ruining their rides. Etc., etc. He called me a psycho. I did not appreciate that very much. Then, I told him what I really thought. I think there was some colorful language employed.

I watched him blow through another insanely dangerous intersection and went on about my own ride. Took maybe another three miles to calm down. So unusual for me to let someone rile me up like this. Just never happens. But you know what, I just wasn't having it this morning. These punks give us all a bad name. It's no wonder non-cyclists sometimes have such a negative take on us as a group.

I decided I would enjoy the rest of my fifteen miles. I said good morning to every single cyclist and runner I encountered on the way back. Every one of them replied in a friendly and cheerful tone. All of them. Most folks around here are pretty pleasant most of the time, as it turns out.

I know not to engage with people like this guy. I do. But something was different this morning. This moron had no right to run around spewing venom on citizens. So, I told him what I thought. And you know what? It felt pretty darn good...
Clearly, you've never lost your driver's license due to a DUI. Lol!!
Likes For Hamstring:
Old 04-01-20, 04:01 PM
Jack Ryan

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm with you -- I fall in the middle of the spectrum. I cringe at the thought of just blindly blowing through a traffic light, and I can't recall seeing anyone blatantly disregard their own safety at a stop light. Darwin would say those people exist, and perhaps are thinning their own herd?

I'll follow up with some of my friends who are local cycling advocates -- see what they know about this. Thanks.
I think honestly most EVERYONE is a little in the middle... until they get hit by a car. Then they are all lawyers.
Likes For Jack Ryan:
Old 04-04-20, 08:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludkeh
I would just let Darwinian selection take it's natural course,
And it probably will. And it will improve the gene pool.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-06-20, 07:59 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Thanks for sharing OP...this kind of thing happens so seldom that when it does happen it takes us by surprise. Glad you called him on it though. But if you'd hit him in the head with your water bottle...can't say I'd lose any sleep over it.
Likes For smoore:
Old 04-06-20, 08:39 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Thanks for sharing OP...this kind of thing happens so seldom that when it does happen it takes us by surprise. Glad you called him on it though. But if you'd hit him in the head with your water bottle...can't say I'd lose any sleep over it.
Thanks, yeah, I would say I have maybe 7ish positive interactions with other drivers/riders for every one negative one, give or take.
Old 04-06-20, 11:14 AM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Wow - what a POS. I try to not react to the occasional abuse received on the roads as anger is a definite risk factor for a cyclist. I just think some people are angry at life and decide they have to share their misery with others. I have to say I've been lucky so far to not encounter a cyclist behaving so badly but can understand your reaction totally. By behaving this way he makes it worse for all of us.
Old 04-06-20, 11:51 AM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bummer, dude.

I heard, back in the day, in places where there were serious numbers of serious cyclists, that the kinds of rider you describe seemed to be very accident prone. Likely because of their demonstrated abilities to violate laws and abuse others seemed to follow with careless bike handling.

For example, after an incident like you described, the idiot would have a hard time keeping his front wheel from hitting your back wheel after you have passed them and he'd go down pretty hard. I've heard of other times where the back of the idiots thigh would carelessly come down on the passing cyclists knee, causing the idiot to violently eject into a ditch or curb. Even heard of times where their elbow would get caught in the passing rider's shoulder.

Now, it would be irresponsible of me to recommend actually trying to clip a wheel, drive a knee, or catch an elbow. So I won't do that. But it just seems to happen to jerks who don't follow the rules and anger those around them.
Old 04-06-20, 12:08 PM
glassman83
Jim

Bikes: '77 Super Le Tour, Bridgestone, Peugeot, ActionBent, Dahon, Trek, & always looking for another interesting bike!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I hear Old School frame pumps work wonders when applied to the spokes to inconsiderate cyclists.... "Really, Officer, it just fell off my bike!"
Old 04-06-20, 12:40 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
My answer is to pass the buck; "If you think the traffic laws are unfair why complain to me? I don't make the rules and I find no evidence the rules are designed to show who's boss. Take your complaints to the the state transportation department
Old 04-06-20, 02:50 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Good for you. He is a word that starts with "a" and ends with " e".
Likes For BadGrandma:
Old 04-06-20, 07:09 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Bear spray is an excellent defensive option, if you're into that kind of thing. Not that you should instigate a conflict, but should the need arise....
Likes For DeadGrandpa:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.