Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Much Damage Does Canyon Do To LBS's?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-09-20, 11:34 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts

Hey, guys. So, I have noted with some personal alarm the increasing adoration bestowed upon Canyon by many prospective and actual buyers. I will admit that I have purchased one bike online (from Competitive Cyclist, maybe 10 years ago). It went fine, I like the company, but I did not like taking a bike nobody knew about for service. Just a personal dislike of mine. And the fact that I made it fit was really just kind of dumb luck, in my opinion.

Anyhoo, was just wondering, given this seemingly completely over-the-top and endless fandom for Canyon sweeping the globe like COVID, exactly how much harm are they doing to local bike shops around the world? And other, traditional mfrs? I am not a bike shop expert, just a guy who rides a lot and buys bikes regularly. And buys gear and service, most often, locally. And spends time in local shops. More than one. What exactly is going on here?
Old 04-09-20, 11:43 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Anyhoo, was just wondering, given this seemingly completely over-the-top and endless fandom for Canyon sweeping the globe like COVID, exactly how much harm are they doing to local bike shops around the world? And other, traditional mfrs? I am not a bike shop expert, just a guy who rides a lot and buys bikes regularly. And buys gear and service, most often, locally. And spends time in local shops. More than one. What exactly is going on here?
Very little harm.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-09-20, 11:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
I don't own a Canyon but all the Canyon owners I know still take their bikes to the LBS for chain cleanings & derailleur adjustments.

People who buy Ferrari's still have someone else change their oil.

My point is: The service department will always have customers.

As the owner of some pretty fancy bikes, I welcome Canyon's downward pressure on the ridiculous sale price carbon commands. Look at the discount section. I'm also not worried about shops potentially losing a one time high ticket sale. The margin on that really isn't what keeps shops open in the first place.

It may sound weird, but selling bikes isn't the business bike shops are in. They happen to sell bikes so they can sell bike service, bike accessories & bike related paraphanelia.

Aaron (Who is sitting outside Universal Cycles in Portland, Oregon as he type this.)

Last edited by base2; 04-09-20 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-09-20, 11:48 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
The bike shops I do business with are local somewhere in the world.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 04-09-20, 11:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Anyhoo, was just wondering, given this seemingly completely over-the-top and endless fandom for Canyon sweeping the globe...
I wouldn't take this as a given. BF does not reflect real life and Canyon is still a relatively small company. Also, there are a myriad of challenges being faced by bike shops - pegging a certain percentage of that change on Canyon would be impossible speculation without lots of numbers (that we're not privy to).
Old 04-09-20, 11:57 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I see Canyon doing more damage to bike manufacturers than shops.

You can get a high-end Canyon for 3-5 thousand dollars less than the equivalent Specialized or Trek. If I was shopping for a bike, that price discrepancy is hard to ignore.
Old 04-09-20, 12:23 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The internet is killing LBS's more than any one company is.
Old 04-09-20, 12:56 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
In the last 30 days I have bought two bikes from Canyon. The nearest Trek dealer couldn’t touch what we wanted price-wise, so I had to spend my money where it got me what I wanted. I *REALLY* wanted a 2020 carbon Domane, but the Trek pricing is just silly when you compare equivalent bikes. Trek priced themselves out of two sales. We were looking at a Checkpoint for my wife. The Canyon Inflite blows it away at the same price point. The local shop still gets my money for certain things, like sale jerseys and lube, chains, occasional new gels to try out, etc. My “local” is 35 miles from home.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-09-20, 01:41 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
LBS's here seem to be doing just fine. I was afraid that the virus would hurt their business, but at least the one that I frequent has been pretty busy with people buying and servicing bikes so they can go ride during the shutdown.

Canyons don't seem to be very popular here, and there is a very large cycling community. I don't think I've seen 10 in this area.
Old 04-09-20, 03:31 PM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
I think Canyon and it’s web sales model is going to hurt both the LBS as well as the other manufacturers. I have had my Aeroad for a few months now and I have found mine to be a solid product and a great value. Truth be told I think my 8.0 is just outstanding. I wouldn’t hesitate in getting another Canyon bike.

I’m guessing I’m not alone in this assessment, which is hurt the LBS and other makers.
Likes For mantis:
Old 04-09-20, 03:58 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
In the last 30 days I have bought two bikes from Canyon. The nearest Trek dealer couldn’t touch what we wanted price-wise, so I had to spend my money where it got me what I wanted. I *REALLY* wanted a 2020 carbon Domane, but the Trek pricing is just silly when you compare equivalent bikes. Trek priced themselves out of two sales. We were looking at a Checkpoint for my wife. The Canyon Inflite blows it away at the same price point. The local shop still gets my money for certain things, like sale jerseys and lube, chains, occasional new gels to try out, etc. My “local” is 35 miles from home.
Why are those particular bikes marked up so much, in your opinion? Wouldn't they sell a bunch more of them if they are 5500 bucks instead of $12K? I am never going to spend 10 grand on a bicycle. Never. And I could. But I won't. I don't think I am alone in this view...
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 04-09-20, 04:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Canyon convinced me, indirectly, that the LBS that has Trek, Specialized or Giant really has some major advantages.

What I can say that is positive is that they stood behind their warranty, three times.

I don't think they will inflict a huge amount of damage. More competition is almost always better. Some bikes are getting stupidly expensive.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 04-09-20 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-09-20, 04:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
You're supposed to say, "Millennials are killing..."
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-09-20, 04:33 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You're supposed to say, "Millennials are killing..."
Ok boomer.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-09-20, 04:44 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Why are those particular bikes marked up so much, in your opinion? Wouldn't they sell a bunch more of them if they are 5500 bucks instead of $12K? I am never going to spend 10 grand on a bicycle. Never. And I could. But I won't. I don't think I am alone in this view...
Cutting edge designs, plus excessive corporate staffing bloat, global/multinational business model, Pro Tour teams, advertising, and lots of mouths to feed? And people will often pay dearly for the big name.
Old 04-09-20, 06:19 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Never heard of Canyon Bikes until this thread. Must be behind the curve. Or maybe Canyon is really a tiny part of the bike world.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 04-09-20, 06:34 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Time to adapt! LBS must offer online shopping & competitive prices. There is one thing internet can't offer to customers though; in person service.
R&D, marketing, administrative expenses, sponsorship.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-09-20, 06:50 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
My issue with at least some LBS is that they are staked to a single flagship brand. Recently I popped into my more regular one only to find out they switched flagships and no longer carried my favorite tires. That combined with not being enamored with the styling of the big 3 brands means there is more variety to my liking on Craigslist. I would think Craigslist competes with local stores as much as anything. It often seems that many Craigslist postings are from the same handful of 'independent dealers'.
Old 04-09-20, 07:00 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
I would guess that Amazon is probably a much greater threat to the average LBS than Canyon. Sales of parts, accessories, clothing, etc. is typically very good margin and much of that has vanished due to online sales.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 04-09-20, 07:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Never heard of Canyon Bikes until this thread. Must be behind the curve. Or maybe Canyon is really a tiny part of the bike world.
Is is small but growing in the US. It is a rather large player in Europe.
Old 04-09-20, 07:12 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I see Velofix and its competitors as much bigger risks to the LBS.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-09-20, 07:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a Canyon out on the road. And I know a guy that works for 'em.
Old 04-09-20, 07:20 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Never heard of them before today. Their bikes look nice.
Old 04-09-20, 07:37 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
My only knowledge of Canyon bikes is from Juliana Buhring riding hers during the movie, "Inspired to Ride," and she kept having problems with her bike. My LBS is a Trek dealer, so that would be the direction I'd go in for a new bike. The lure to purchase a bike at a significantly lower rate is large, but I'd be concerned with the company's customer service. I don't know anything about Canyon's customer service, but I know Trek customer service is excellent. For me, it would be like purchasing insurance.
Old 04-09-20, 07:42 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Hey, guys. So, I have noted with some personal alarm the increasing adoration bestowed upon Canyon by many prospective and actual buyers. I will admit that I have purchased one bike online (from Competitive Cyclist, maybe 10 years ago). It went fine, I like the company, but I did not like taking a bike nobody knew about for service. Just a personal dislike of mine. And the fact that I made it fit was really just kind of dumb luck, in my opinion.

Shimano is still Shimano, and SRAM is SRAM, regardless of who manufactures the bicycle. Maintenance doesn’t change, at all. For example, I repair my Cannondale with the same tools and methods that I use on my Fuji.

Now to address the rest of your post, I don’t understand why you are so loyal to your LBS. Since when did it become the job of the consumer to keep businesses profitable? That entire premise is absurd. If you want my business, you must earn it. I’m not going to spend significantly more of my hard earned money to “help out” a business. Now don’t get me wrong, I have bought PLENTY of items from my local bike shops. Some were a little more expensive, but not egregiously so, and it feels good to support the local economy. However, if one chooses to purchase online, they have EVERY right to, and you have absolutely zero business trying to convince them otherwise.
Likes For Ross520:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.