Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 12:30 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Buyer’s Remorse version 0

Originally Posted by DougG
Sweet! Be sure to let us know what you think of it. However, you've now triggered "Buyer's Remorse x 2" for me. I bought a Vado 4 and took delivery in early March, which seemed like a lucky stroke since two weeks later we were locked down and the shops were closed for 6 weeks,. Well, the first round of pangs came a few weeks later when Specialized started offering a discounted price plus rebate on that specific model that would have saved me almost $1K! I can live with that if I don't think about it too much, but then I recently read about the new Vado SL series and was really sorry I jumped the gun (how could I have known?) since the SL is what I have really been looking for all along: I'm only looking for a moderate assistance boost, and I would really like the lighter weight. At my age, and with some chronic back fragility, the Vado is tough for me to manage if I have to lift it myself, such as putting on my bike rack. I can do it as far as strength goes, but my back is sometimes sore afterwards.

Not much that I can do about it now and overall I'm satisfied with the Vado, but I might be trading up a bit sooner than I expected to. The whole market and availability of e-bikes is growing and changing so much that there's no telling what will catch my eye when I'm ready. The only thing I can guarantee is that I'll no sooner buy it than they'll come out with something better...

I know the feeling. Before I retired I worked in industries where stuff like this happened all the time. When I was on the sales side it was great but as a customer it made me crazy too. With the Vado SL, I’d been thinking of tradition models like the Vado 4, but the weight was definitely an issue. Range too.

I hope the lower assistance won’t be a problem. But my docs say I’m healthy enough and I did just did a 22 mile ride on top of several five milers over the week without problems, so they’re right.

I will post when I’ve ridden a bit.
Old 05-27-20, 07:24 PM
k0guz

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
My 75th birthday was on Saturday. Traditionally, bike riders try to ride their age on or near their birthday. I took a mulligan, and rode 75 kilometers instead of 75 miles. In order to do that, I would have had to go to Palisade. By the time I only had a few miles to go, the temperature was 100F/37.7C. No thank you!
https://www.strava.com/activities/3522655558
Old 05-28-20, 11:46 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
I am looking for an age specific training approach.
I have been riding a steady 80-100 miles a month in 5-10 mile chunks and not making much progress on my steady 12mph.
The training and coaching stuff I have found is geared towards 25 yo racers and not appearing to be relevant to me in the least.
Anyone have tips or can point me towards more age specific training?
Also I am looking for any info on adapting HR as a metric in the setting of beta blockers.

Doug: I have been playing with ebikes for a few years and to be honest don't really find where they are useful, beyond just being smaller less capable motos.
They are marketed heavily (like upright trikes) to older folks , and the weight and bulk just haven't made them fit most of the expectations they engender.
If I could tote a 50-60 pound bike around I wouldn't need a motor. Again big Expectation to Performance ratio abounds.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 05-28-20 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 04:03 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I’m not aware of a site specifically dedicated to older athletes, but there’s plenty of info out there for older folks that could help you design a training program. Here are a couple of sites where I’ve found helpful info:

https://www.roadbikerider.com/

https://www.peakendurancesport.com/

Fellow oldster carbonfiberboy has posted some details about his training program somewhere in this thread.

i hope this helps - others will probably have better suggestions.
Likes For Greenhil:
Old 05-29-20, 11:08 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
No remorse

I’ve now gone on two rides. First was the 5.2 mile loop I use when I don’t have time and general training. On my analog bike I averaged about 11 mph and needed to stop once or twice for a breather. On the Vado Sl, I averaged 14 MPH and no breaks. There’s on short stretch that’s slightly downhill with trees sheltering the wind on which I can get up to about 18 MPH. With the Vado I was going 24 MPH with much less effort. The thing works. (I’m not that fast a rider.) This was on Wednesday.

Today I took my intermediate ride between Ashburn and Herndon. Round trip is 13 miles. There are two long rises that usually require me to stop and catch my breath. Today the first rise was a breeze and I didn’t even realize I’d gone over the second rise. The last time I did it on my analog bike I averaged 11 MPH or so and took an hour and ten minutes, including a short rest at the turn-around. With the Vado, using minimum and medium assist, I averaged 13 MPH over 59 minutes. I wasn’t trying very hard either.

It seems that I made a good decision. Happiness.
Old 05-31-20, 01:14 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
I am looking for an age specific training approach.
I have been riding a steady 80-100 miles a month in 5-10 mile chunks and not making much progress on my steady 12mph.
The training and coaching stuff I have found is geared towards 25 yo racers and not appearing to be relevant to me in the least.
Anyone have tips or can point me towards more age specific training?
Also I am looking for any info on adapting HR as a metric in the setting of beta blockers.

Doug: I have been playing with ebikes for a few years and to be honest don't really find where they are useful, beyond just being smaller less capable motos.
They are marketed heavily (like upright trikes) to older folks , and the weight and bulk just haven't made them fit most of the expectations they engender.
If I could tote a 50-60 pound bike around I wouldn't need a motor. Again big Expectation to Performance ratio abounds.

What areas are you looking for the training to help you “improve “?
Old 05-31-20, 10:21 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

I am nearing 70, active, now doing an average of 120 miles a month, and am plateauing at a cadence of 70 and about an hour.
My back has gotten a lot better so I can ride a Trek 1500 with a 3x8, and just use the trikes as trainers
I can go longer, up to about 30 miles in a day. If I push faster than what has been an avg 12-13mph over the ride, I will exhaust.
Certainly not triathlete territory . I want to see what folks might be doing.
I want to try something more structured, so that if I push ,it is with a plan.
Again most of what I am seeing is for folks that are jumping to a high intensity for a hour, and just reading their session protocols says they ain't talking about me.
I am looking to build cadence and endurance.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 05-31-20 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 07:10 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
I am nearing 70, active, now doing an average of 120 miles a month, and am plateauing at a cadence of 70 and about an hour.
My back has gotten a lot better so I can ride a Trek 1500 with a 3x8, and just use the trikes as trainers
I can go longer, up to about 30 miles in a day. If I push faster than what has been an avg 12-13mph over the ride, I will exhaust.
Certainly not triathlete territory . I want to see what folks might be doing.
I want to try something more structured, so that if I push ,it is with a plan.
Again most of what I am seeing is for folks that are jumping to a high intensity for a hour, and just reading their session protocols says they ain't talking about me.
I am looking to build cadence and endurance.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Excellent!! Do you have the ability to see your metrics.....speed, cadence, heart rate and distance for example?

Also what is the typical terrain and environment that you ride in. Hills, wind etc.

If you have the ability to monitor it, I’d suggest to first focus on your cadence and HR. Ideally, on flattish to rolling terrain I’d recommend doing a ride in a gear where your cadence is 85-90 and at a pace where you can easily have a conversation with someone. This might mean being in an easier gear or two than what you’ve been riding in. Go a distance that you feel like you’ve used a good bit of energy but not wasted.

Riding with a higher cadence is a learned activity but will allow you to go longer and further over time.

Recovery from riding is critical. You can ride back to back days but the second day or even next ride should be at an even easier effort, but still at a higher cadence.

Over time you simply start adding duration to the rides, but each person is different and what they can do varies.

I’d suggest focusing on cadence and HR with alternating efforts for a month and then see where things stand.
Old 06-01-20, 09:14 AM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Wait, let me understand, you were out on a ride and stopped at an LBS and spent $5,000???
Old 06-01-20, 09:17 AM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Just curious if anyone else uses aero-bars. Since putting them on a few years ago my riding is much more enjoyable. Resting on elbows is much easier than doing a push-up for two hours. I'd never be able to ride for more than an hour without my aero-bars. I also find it gives me a more powerful position going up hills.
Old 06-01-20, 06:22 PM
bikebikebike

Originally Posted by RVH
Wait, let me understand, you were out on a ride and stopped at an LBS and spent $5,000???
He got off easy.
I'm lucky to have escaped from the LBS with my mortal soul.
Fortunately, I called my sponsor and she talked to them.
Got them down to $2,900
and my eldest.

Thanks jppe
I have a Hammerhead Karoo connected to speed, and cadence, on both the bike and a Cyclops fluid trainer.
I'll try just going for cadence, I'm geared to do that (3X8-9) regardless of wind and hills, and I ride either on residential streets or a fairly clear MUP.
I found some of the Zwift "FTP" proxies with a stepwise approach and may give them a try again. Chasing Lycra bots is not something I am drawn towards , but everything has its price.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 06-01-20 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-02-20, 09:55 PM
Wttnwa

Bikes: 2003 Allez Specialized Sport

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am turning 70 on Friday and started riding about a year after I retired. Started with Schwinn Park Avenue from Walmart and have moved up to a 2003 Allez Specialized Sport that I have converted to straight bars. Went out with a friend today and rode about 20 miles on the paved bike trails here in NW Arkansas, at an average of 10.5mph. They have a bike clubs that I would like to go with, when they start up their rides again, but they said they average 14 to 17mph and I am not sue I can keep up that pace for 25 or 30 miles. I was going to the gym 3 times a week but find riding 3 or 4 times a week to be much more fun.
Old 06-02-20, 10:02 PM
Wttnwa

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RVH
Just curious if anyone else uses aero-bars. Since putting them on a few years ago my riding is much more enjoyable. Resting on elbows is much easier than doing a push-up for two hours. I'd never be able to ride for more than an hour without my aero-bars. I also find it gives me a more powerful position going up hills.
They look interesting, but if something happens, how fast can you get back to your brakes without loosing it?
Old 06-03-20, 05:25 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Wttnwa
They look interesting, but if something happens, how fast can you get back to your brakes without loosing it?
Reaction time required is dependent upon whatever and when the "SOMETHING" is that is happening.

I am at this moment at 5 weeks, 2 days, 6 hours from an "encounter" with a 150lb wild hog while riding my aero-bars at 20.1mph. The crash resulted in a broken scapula, 2 broken ribs, a punctured lung and shoulder damage. Had this event taken place 6 hours later in daylight NOTHING WOULD HAVE HAPPENED because I would have seen Big MAMA coming at me and would have avoided her.
Old 06-03-20, 06:40 AM
Wttnwa

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Reaction time required is dependent upon whatever and when the "SOMETHING" is that is happening.

I am at this moment at 5 weeks, 2 days, 6 hours from an "encounter" with a 150lb wild hog while riding my aero-bars at 20.1mph. The crash resulted in a broken scapula, 2 broken ribs, a punctured lung and shoulder damage. Had this event taken place 6 hours later in daylight NOTHING WOULD HAVE HAPPENED because I would have seen Big MAMA coming at me and would have avoided her.
Ahhh yes, I see now. With my age and my slower reaction time and without your ability to see into the future, I need to keep my hands on my bars and near my brakes. I guess riding without hands is probably also out. Getting old has so many drawbacks. PS - in 5 weeks and 2 days, I think I would stay home, if I were you.
Old 06-03-20, 07:05 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wttnwa
Ahhh yes, I see now. With my age and my slower reaction time and without your ability to see into the future, I need to keep my hands on my bars and near my brakes. I guess riding without hands is probably also out. Getting old has so many drawbacks. PS - in 5 weeks and 2 days, I think I would stay home, if I were you.
For this 70yo on 7-10, dealing with the "aggressive/man killer Prostate Cancer" since 4/2015 along with other medical issues, "staying home" is not an option. I am currently partaking in the Cruzbike Time Trial Challenge 2020 even though I am not on a recumbent but having a blast marking my improvement as I recover. BTW-my ortho cleared me for cycling 8 days after the crash.

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/c...ge-2020.13343/
Old 06-03-20, 01:42 PM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
re: Aerobars, Never had an issue with reaction time...

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

Would you still have hit it if your hands were on the brake hoods? Those things are pretty fast and I doubt you could have missed it, but I could be wrong.

I've been using these for three years and have never had an issue with reaction time. Even when not on the aero bars I don't have my hands on the brake levers. Do you? Same reaction time as being on the hoods. But, overall, the risk of that happening is dwarfed by the comfort and ability to go a LOT longer than I used to. I just can't do a pushup for two hours!
Old 06-03-20, 04:26 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by RVH
Would you still have hit it if your hands were on the brake hoods? Those things are pretty fast and I doubt you could have missed it, but I could be wrong.
.............I've been using these for three years and have never had an issue with reaction time. Even when not on the aero bars I don't have my hands on the brake levers. Do you? Same reaction time as being on the hoods. But, overall, the risk of that happening is dwarfed by the comfort and ability to go a LOT longer than I used to. I just can't do a pushup for two hours!
The hog came up and hit into me and since it was 1:25AM, I didn't see it until it was at my leg.
Old 06-04-20, 03:59 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Glad to hear you’re back at it!
Old 06-04-20, 06:53 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I don't know if this violates some sort of forum guidelines, but for those of you on Facebook there is a really nice group called "Cycling Past 70", made up of mature riders around the world, posting pics of their rides and having some good bike-related and age-related discussions. I always enjoy seeing what and where other people are riding.
Likes For DougG:
Old 06-07-20, 07:14 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Well today rode 47 miles or about a metric 75, my age. That was a good ride (to Miami Beach) but then did 40 miles Saturday and 40 miles on Friday due to rain earlier in the week.. So that’s 127+ miles in three days.

Time for a snooze or at least a day off.

This pandemic has resulted in a ton or riding which guess is good. Passed 3,000 for the year in early June and on way to possibly break my annual record.

Gues getting older(Er) not so bad.
Likes For Miami Biker:
Old 06-13-20, 09:08 AM
rgc52

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 15 mies this morning here in Estero Florida
Old 06-14-20, 06:57 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
WTTNWA- Why don't you start a riding group of your own? We have a local group of riders called the "SLOW SPOKES" and some of us average 10mph and some 14 or 15 mph. We regroup every so often during our rides. Works well.

Last edited by Irishred; 06-14-20 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added a name
Old 06-15-20, 06:15 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
WTTNWA- Why don't you start a riding group of your own? We have a local group of riders called the "SLOW SPOKES" and some of us average 10mph and some 14 or 15 mph. We regroup every so often during our rides. Works well.
I this the "Slow Spokes" club that puts on "Peach of a Ride" in SE Michigan?
Old 06-15-20, 06:45 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
Is this group in KY, or is it the Slow Spokes division of Southern IN. Wheelmen? I've not been able to fit in a lot of rides lately, but would be interested. Last ride was a 7 mile mtn.bike ride in Turkey Run off-road trails of L'ville Loop, so guess I'm not doing too bad-made it back to the truck in one piece! Might do a paved ride today on the road bike.

Last edited by freeranger; 06-15-20 at 06:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.