Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'72 Schwinn Super Sport - Before/After

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-20-20, 07:01 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts

Pretty close to done so I thought I'd post it up. Just need to cable it up and throw a chain on it (and put the brakes back on it). The wheels are the biggest problem, a couple of loose spokes and I don't think they'd Take a truing. For now it's a garage bike that the older grand-kids can ride and a bike for my wife when she's just cruising the neighborhood. Got it free about a year ago. One of the neighbors had it out on their parkway with a "Free" sign on it. Up close the chrome isn't that great and really pitted.

Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-20-20, 07:06 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 406 Posts
Now there's a lucky find. Nice bike. It'd make a perfect 3 speed coaster hub cruiser
Old 06-20-20, 08:46 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Now there's a lucky find. Nice bike. It'd make a perfect 3 speed coaster hub cruiser
Oddly enough, I'm working on a similar-era Super Sport in my garage. It's going to be an upright three-speed with 700 x 35C wheels & tires.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-20-20, 10:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I really like bike boom Super Sports... maybe especially for the things that make them declasse. The kickstand works great, the rings have a built-in shift ramp, the bash guard covers the FD, the extra long stem shift levers are easy to use.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-20-20, 11:15 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Nice save. Great job of bringing back the color and chrome. I have a Continental that I thought "no way is the chrome going to clean up". It still has pits, but it looks good.

Are those the plastic pedals from Walmart? I got them too for another bike. It is an easy way to get 1/2" pedals. They work fine and can take some abuse. And one more thing, plastic pedals won't scratch the other bikes in the garage.

Keep the pictures coming as it goes together.