Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 06-29-20, 07:53 AM
  #11276  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,919

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6224 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Sounds exciting. What did Lotus think?
She was remarkably calm.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 06-29-20, 07:55 AM
  #11277  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,804

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5624 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Yeah, that's understandable and probably smart. Sounds like they weren't too confident in their value and decided to go with those that were more willing to speculate.
Hot markets are stupid. And it makes both buying and selling stressful.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:03 AM
  #11278  
phrantic09
Road Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 577

Bikes: Felt Z4, Felt F75, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Hot markets are stupid. And it makes both buying and selling stressful.
what really burns us is that we got horrible advice from our realtor regarding value of a house we absolutely loved back last September. She was overly conservative and protective and in hindsight didn’t understand the market in our specific area so we missed out. That house would easily go for 30-40 more than what it sold for last year right now.

It’s really been a litany of errors on the part of our realtor that got us here, which is why we fired her and went in another direction. We could have taken the risk on this place, but our offer was already 15 over what I thought the house was worth and I wasn’t willing to buy a house that wouldn’t appraise for the purchase price. That’s just silly.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:04 AM
  #11279  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,804

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5624 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 732 Posts
“Hey buddy, I don’t go bothering you while you’re eating breakfast!”

Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:07 AM
  #11280  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,923

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3972 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
what really burns us is that we got horrible advice from our realtor regarding value of a house we absolutely loved back last September. She was overly conservative and protective and in hindsight didn’t understand the market in our specific area so we missed out. That house would easily go for 30-40 more than what it sold for last year right now.

It’s really been a litany of errors on the part of our realtor that got us here, which is why we fired her and went in another direction. We could have taken the risk on this place, but our offer was already 15 over what I thought the house was worth and I wasn’t willing to buy a house that wouldn’t appraise for the purchase price. That’s just silly.
Saratoga! Who knew? Why are things so hot there?
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:13 AM
  #11281  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,804

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5624 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Saratoga! Who knew? Why are things so hot there?
I’d go if I could bring the local climate...
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:27 AM
  #11282  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,429

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12325 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 798 Posts
I don't understand why the real estate market would be hot anywhere when it feels like we are on a major economic downturn that likely will last a couple years.

__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:28 AM
  #11283  
phrantic09
Road Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 577

Bikes: Felt Z4, Felt F75, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Saratoga! Who knew? Why are things so hot there?
No inventory. Rates are good, the economy is good locally, but nothing is on the market.

We’re south of Saratoga in Malta. Globalfoundries (AMD spin off) just bought another 70 acres of land here to expand their fab so I expect this is just the beginning if they’re bringing another 3k employees in.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:30 AM
  #11284  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,923

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3972 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
No inventory. Rates are good, the economy is good locally, but nothing is on the market.

We’re south of Saratoga in Malta. Globalfoundries (AMD spin off) just bought another 70 acres of land here to expand their fab so I expect this is just the beginning if they’re bringing another 3k employees in.
Wow. I am used to thinking of that part of the world as being chronically depressed since the Nelson Rockefeller era. Nice area, so I'm glad the economy is strong. Sorry about the housing issue, though.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:37 AM
  #11285  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,923

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3972 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I don't understand why the real estate market would be hot anywhere when it feels like we are on a major economic downturn that likely will last a couple years.

Yeah. Equities seem a little high too, but I'm not questioning.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:41 AM
  #11286  
phrantic09
Road Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 577

Bikes: Felt Z4, Felt F75, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Wow. I am used to thinking of that part of the world as being chronically depressed since the Nelson Rockefeller era. Nice area, so I'm glad the economy is strong. Sorry about the housing issue, though.
Thanks, it’ll work out (eventually).

some of it is on us too, we’re super picky, have limited ourselves essentially to one or two neighborhoods in Malta and don’t want anything much bigger than 2000SF, nor do we want new construction because they’re all houses in the middle of a field with no trees or shade. The hood we are in now(and want to stay in) is cut into an old growth timber forest, there’s 100-200 feet of trees and nature trail between the backs of houses and just generally more appealing to us.
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 06-29-20, 08:54 AM
  #11287  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,429

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12325 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Yeah. Equities seem a little high too, but I'm not questioning.
Agree. I am not a market timer (which is a fool's errand IMO), I have most of my investments on auto-pilot so will ride it all out. I am kinda expecting a decent drop in the market sometime this year, however.

If I were really smart we would sell our house and move into a rental, but moving is too much of a PITA so will sit tight on modest real estate holdings too.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 09:36 AM
  #11288  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,804

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5624 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Agree. I am not a market timer (which is a fool's errand IMO), I have most of my investments on auto-pilot so will ride it all out. I am kinda expecting a decent drop in the market sometime this year, however.

If I were really smart we would sell our house and move into a rental, but moving is too much of a PITA so will sit tight on modest real estate holdings too.
Smart man on all accounts.

The reason housing and equities haven’t tanked (yet?) is the hugely disparate nature of this. People like AG and me can still just buy a house; those hurt worst were mostly renters. They also weren’t buying equities. And with all real estate being local, places like Austin are still in high demand, and Saratoga was always one of the swanky places to have a place upstate (and now lets you escape the plague for a while). I’d wager that Schenectady is much worse. Or Abilene.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 09:38 AM
  #11289  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,923

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3972 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Thanks, it’ll work out (eventually).

some of it is on us too, we’re super picky, have limited ourselves essentially to one or two neighborhoods in Malta and don’t want anything much bigger than 2000SF, nor do we want new construction because they’re all houses in the middle of a field with no trees or shade. The hood we are in now(and want to stay in) is cut into an old growth timber forest, there’s 100-200 feet of trees and nature trail between the backs of houses and just generally more appealing to us.
No trees can be fixed if you're willing to wait for them to grow, but I know exactly what you mean.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 09:46 AM
  #11290  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,923

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3972 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Agree. I am not a market timer (which is a fool's errand IMO), I have most of my investments on auto-pilot so will ride it all out. I am kinda expecting a decent drop in the market sometime this year, however.

If I were really smart we would sell our house and move into a rental, but moving is too much of a PITA so will sit tight on modest real estate holdings too.
We set up a charitable trust to offload highly appreciated stuff and we're moving very slowly to more bonds and fixed income in order to hit retirement in a slightly more conservative posture, but that's all we're doing.

With these rates, you might as well just refinance if you want investment cash.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 10:07 AM
  #11291  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,429

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12325 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
We set up a charitable trust to offload highly appreciated stuff and we're moving very slowly to more bonds and fixed income in order to hit retirement in a slightly more conservative posture, but that's all we're doing.

With these rates, you might as well just refinance if you want investment cash.
Not a bad idea. All I did was move kids' college savings that was in a fund-based account over to short-term bond account about 1 year ago since we will need to access those funds in the next few years. Everything else is for farther down the road (I hope we are alive to use it!) so let it ride!
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 10:13 AM
  #11292  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,852

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Saratoga! Who knew? Why are things so hot there?
Jack Flanders' home town, of course!
Look him up on YouTube
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread





seedsbelize is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 10:14 AM
  #11293  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,852

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Yeah. Equities seem a little high too, but I'm not questioning.
Makes no sense. I got right out, no longer trusting the system.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread





seedsbelize is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 10:14 AM
  #11294  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,923

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3972 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Not a bad idea. All I did was move kids' college savings that was in a fund-based account over to short-term bond account about 1 year ago since we will need to access those funds in the next few years. Everything else is for farther down the road (I hope we are alive to use it!) so let it ride!
We just gave control of daughter's 529(b) to her. I was able to transfer my post-911 GI Bill educational benefits to her, so we ended up with half of it left. What a windfall! Thank you taxpayers!
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 10:15 AM
  #11295  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,923

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3972 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Makes no sense. I got right out, no longer trusting the system.
Might be a great decision.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 11:11 AM
  #11296  
phrantic09
Road Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 577

Bikes: Felt Z4, Felt F75, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
No trees can be fixed if you're willing to wait for them to grow, but I know exactly what you mean.
This is only a 10-12 year house for us. Once the girls are in college, we’re out of here for someplace warmer.
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 06-29-20, 11:25 AM
  #11297  
SwtBadger
Senior Member
 
SwtBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 251

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
No time to take stuff off for a glamour shot -

I'm rather behind, but
SwtBadger is offline  
Likes For SwtBadger:
Old 06-29-20, 11:46 AM
  #11298  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,804

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5624 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
This is only a 10-12 year house for us. Once the girls are in college, we’re out of here for someplace warmer.
Man, I haven’t lived at one address for a decade since I was in middle school. And that was about 10 years total.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 12:03 PM
  #11299  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,009
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11417 Post(s)
Liked 3,054 Times in 1,698 Posts
My 2016 cowboy photo is going to be Adventure Cycling Association's

newsletter photo of the week next week. I steered clear of those critters.
indyfabz is online now  
Old 06-29-20, 12:11 PM
  #11300  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 34,327

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5348 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 562 Posts
No cows spotted on today's ride, but I did see a coyote, and he looked hungry! I didn't take his pic, just this standard pic of the bike leaning on a creosote.

LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.