Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 09:50 AM
mjburke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Magnesium Bike Brand Looking for Ambassadors

Hi, all! I’m new to Bike Forums but figured this was an excellent resource to reach out to riders in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I work for a new bike company called VAAST Bikes, introducing a line of all road adventure bikes and exclusively using ALLITE Super Magnesium for our frames. We’re interested in getting broad feedback across U.S. riders and so we are looking for brand ambassadors to test our bikes, provide feedback, and advocate for our brand. If you are interested in learning more about becoming part of our ambassador program, please comment and I will send you a link to learn more! I guess new users aren't able to post links :-).

We’re excited to connect with riders in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and look forward to hearing from those interested in working with us!
Old 06-09-20, 05:30 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Interesting frame material. I remember a number of years ago magnesium looked like the metal of the future but never made it. Where will these be manufactured?
Old 06-21-20, 02:48 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by mjburke
Hi, all! I’m new to Bike Forums but figured this was an excellent resource to reach out to riders in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I work for a new bike company called VAAST Bikes, introducing a line of all road adventure bikes and exclusively using ALLITE Super Magnesium for our frames. We’re interested in getting broad feedback across U.S. riders and so we are looking for brand ambassadors to test our bikes, provide feedback, and advocate for our brand. If you are interested in learning more about becoming part of our ambassador program, please comment and I will send you a link to learn more! I guess new users aren't able to post links :-).

We’re excited to connect with riders in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and look forward to hearing from those interested in working with us!
I'm in Houston, but am certainly interested. I'm a daily bike commuter and weekend group rider - but have been looking for a gravel bike to tackle the levee tops, fire trail that parallels my commuter path, and hill country gravel roads with some of the local shop rides. Seems like it could be exciting!

Hit me up.

I'll add that after doing some research I must say I love the company's eco-friendly stance, and that bikes are literally recyclable into future bikes. Hilarious and awesome.

Last edited by the sci guy; 06-21-20 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 09:55 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've read about the company and am generally interested, but I have to admit that none of your bikes really suit the kind of riding I do.
Old 07-21-20, 11:18 PM
ILuvLamp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently saw the video about VAAST magnesium bikes on the GCN YouTube channel. I am definitely curious about your bikes and would love to learn more about them. I live in Arlington area.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-20, 10:04 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Interested - hit me up. Located in SW DFW area.
Old 08-05-20, 04:58 PM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm in the Richardson Plano area and very interested.
Old 08-15-20, 05:13 AM
TexasVol1794

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Did anyone get set up as an ambassador?
Old 08-18-20, 12:59 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I did. But I fell and fractured my elbow before I got the bike. It's currently all built and sitting in my dining room driving me insane every time I walk past it. But it's a really nice looking bike, and comes in under 20 lbs with cages and pedals. Hopefully will get the all-clear from the doctor this week to start shredding. I only took some pics of the unboxing:
but will take some pics of the complete bike once I am out riding it.
Old 08-18-20, 01:08 PM
TexasVol1794

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I did. But I fell and fractured my elbow before I got the bike. It's currently all built and sitting in my dining room driving me insane every time I walk past it. But it's a really nice looking bike, and comes in under 20 lbs with cages and pedals. Hopefully will get the all-clear from the doctor this week to start shredding.

Nice! Well, not the elbow injury. Let me know if you need someone to break it in for you while you heal
Old 08-18-20, 01:50 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by TexasVol1794
Nice! Well, not the elbow injury. Let me know if you need someone to break it in for you while you heal
You in the Houston area? BTW we spent 3 years in Knoxville while my wife did grad school at UTK. Loved that town and would move back in an instant if the job market was viable. While my heart beats the strongest for my hometown Syracuse Orange, VOL orange is a close 2nd. Good ol' Rocky Top.
Old 08-18-20, 07:21 PM
TexasVol1794

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You in the Houston area? BTW we spent 3 years in Knoxville while my wife did grad school at UTK. Loved that town and would move back in an instant if the job market was viable. While my heart beats the strongest for my hometown Syracuse Orange, VOL orange is a close 2nd. Good ol' Rocky Top.
Not in Houston anymore. Live in Austin these days. Spent some happy years living in Houston. Even met my wife there.

That’s awesome your wife went to UT. What grad program? I did undergrad class of ‘03 and MBA class of ‘10.

I’d move back to Knoxville in a heartbeat. My wife and I can both work from anywhere but my in-laws live two streets over from us here in Austin. Hard to beat when we have two young kids.
Likes For TexasVol1794:
Old 08-19-20, 06:40 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
She did not go to The UT. 🤘

😜
Old 08-19-20, 08:32 AM
TexasVol1794

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
She did not go to The UT. 🤘

😜
Ha! I married into a UTx family so I use it interchangeably.

GBO and Hook em 🤘

Last edited by TexasVol1794; 08-19-20 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 06:37 PM
Slick Madone

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Anybody in the DFW area get setup? I'm still interested but never heard a peep from the OP.
Old 08-27-20, 11:23 PM
Outswest

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely interested.

I'm certainly interested. I'm involved with many cycling clubs in the DFW area and would love to advocate for your brand. Community Beer Co, Bearded Women Racing, Dallas Tri Club, Bike DFW and November Project.
Old 09-25-20, 05:59 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
I'd probably buy one of these VAAST bikes on site if I could only test ride one to make sure the size is right for me.
Old 09-28-20, 06:00 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Helldorado
I'd probably buy one of these VAAST bikes on site if I could only test ride one to make sure the size is right for me.
I've been riding it for about 5 weeks now and I am loving it. I'm 5'5'" and my size small (~52) is at the top end of what I can ride. I think their size estimator on their site is pretty accurate. I didn't want to wait for an XS, which is what I probably should really have, but I'm doing OK on a Small. I wouldn't put anyone shorter than me on it though.

Right now as pictured the bike weighs 19.7lbs. The silver stem is from the parts bin for something shorter. I've got a new Ritchey stem, and Whiskey Parts Co bars coming Wednesday that should bring the weight down even more and make my fit even better. The frame feels great to ride. I don't have anything to compare it to, personally, as this is my first gravel bike, but I think the frame mixed with the carbon seatpost and fork makes for some pretty good riding. I've had limited gravel/single track thus far, but what I've done has been fun. It also runs on pavement real nice.

Old 10-01-20, 11:10 AM
Helldorado

I've been riding it for about 5 weeks now and I am loving it. I'm 5'5'" and my size small (~52) is at the top end of what I can ride. I think their size estimator on their site is pretty accurate. I didn't want to wait for an XS, which is what I probably should really have, but I'm doing OK on a Small. I wouldn't put anyone shorter than me on it though.

Right now as pictured the bike weighs 19.7lbs. The silver stem is from the parts bin for something shorter. I've got a new Ritchey stem, and Whiskey Parts Co bars coming Wednesday that should bring the weight down even more and make my fit even better. The frame feels great to ride. I don't have anything to compare it to, personally, as this is my first gravel bike, but I think the frame mixed with the carbon seatpost and fork makes for some pretty good riding. I've had limited gravel/single track thus far, but what I've done has been fun. It also runs on pavement real nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFgATA9pcrv/
Where in Houston did you take that photo? Looks like swampland.
Old 10-01-20, 03:38 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Where in Houston did you take that photo? Looks like swampland.
George Bush Park aka inside the Barker Reservoir. In non-hurricane tropical downpours, the reservoirs are dry parks, save for the bayous running through them. But when we get a deluge they fill up as designed. This was what TS Beta left behind. If you google map Barker Reservoir or Addicks Reservoir you'll see them. You probably heard about them after Hurricane Harvey - they filled up almost to overflowing and the ACoE had to release water at a rate greater than they wanted which over capacitated the outflow bayous and flooded thousands of homes- including ours. 4' of water in the house for 2 weeks.

Anyway, I got my new parts on Wednesday and put on a Ritchey 70mm stem, and Whiskey No7 bars. Also new bottle cages to match.

Current status:
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 10-01-20, 03:54 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Looks great
Old 10-01-20, 06:28 PM
Helldorado

George Bush Park aka inside the Barker Reservoir. In non-hurricane tropical downpours, the reservoirs are dry parks, save for the bayous running through them. But when we get a deluge they fill up as designed. This was what TS Beta left behind. If you google map Barker Reservoir or Addicks Reservoir you'll see them. You probably heard about them after Hurricane Harvey - they filled up almost to overflowing and the ACoE had to release water at a rate greater than they wanted which over capacitated the outflow bayous and flooded thousands of homes- including ours. 4' of water in the house for 2 weeks.

Anyway, I got my new parts on Wednesday and put on a Ritchey 70mm stem, and Whiskey No7 bars. Also new bottle cages to match.

Current status:
I grew up in Houston, in the Meyerland area near the SW corner of Loop 610. Lots of flooding back then too. My daughter is now a freshman at Rice University, so after almost two decades away I've re-established a Houston connection.

That bike looks amazing. I am so tempted to just order one (? size large ?) and take a chance. I'm just under 6' tall and I'm guessing that would be right. I'd have to check out their web site with their sizing recommendations. There are so many cool gravel rides up here in western WA State - that bike would fit right in.
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 10-02-20, 08:51 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I grew up in Houston, in the Meyerland area near the SW corner of Loop 610. Lots of flooding back then too. My daughter is now a freshman at Rice University, so after almost two decades away I've re-established a Houston connection.

That bike looks amazing. I am so tempted to just order one (? size large ?) and take a chance. I'm just under 6' tall and I'm guessing that would be right. I'd have to check out their web site with their sizing recommendations. There are so many cool gravel rides up here in western WA State - that bike would fit right in.
Good thing you weren't still in Meyerland for Harvey. Yikes.
But yes absolutely check the website out for sizing. The company is certified for sustainable practices as well. The frames are 100% recyclable. The bike box is 100% plastic free and recyclable.
Old 10-02-20, 09:07 AM
TexasVol1794

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

My wife is a Rice alumna. She'll be happy to hear folks on my bike message board are sending their kids there
Old 10-05-20, 10:12 AM
Slick Madone

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Anyone else local in DFW ride one of these? Curious for more feedback on the ride quality vs carbon and aluminum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.